00r calipers same as some viper calipers??

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
They look like '00R calipers, but that does not necessarily mean they are going to fit a Viper either. For whatever it is worth, I was told by a Brembo rep that the '00R caliper uses an outer half that is the same as the Viper, but the inner half is specific to the Mustang so it fits over the spindle and the rotors correctly. Brembo supposedly does this to keep people from trying other calipers to re-engineer their own brakes - doesn't always pan out.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
It will probably fit, but the Viper piston sizes are different and that will cause a host of brake bias issues.

Those viper calipers do use the same pads though.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
It will probably fit, but the Viper piston sizes are different and that will cause a host of brake bias issues.

Those viper calipers do use the same pads though.

When it comes to brakes, probably is not a word to apply - they either fit or they don't. In the case of the eBay ad that started this thread, those are Y2KR calipers and NOT Viper calipers. Why Rehagen labeled them as such, I do not know. Again, as I was told by a Brembo rep, the calipers use a different inner half, so even if the pads are the same outline, it does not matter.

The front calipers used on the Cobra R and the Viper are part of the "Family E" caliper, but so many of the dimensions are VERY specific to each application. Again, the Gen I Viper caliper (I think that was '92-'02) is not the same as the Cobra R caliper. Also, the calipers in the auction are red since they probably came right from Brembo as part of the Gran Turismo kit, which could be had in that color, compared to black only in the FRPP kit.

Here's a drawing of the "E" caliper in a couple different forms (although the dimensions are not entirely legible):

BremboFamilyE_zps6062f8d5.jpg

A couple shots of the Y2KR calipers (mine were custom coated silver instead):

P1020025.jpg

P1020022.jpg

Some Viper Gen 1&2 caliper pics. The differences are subtle, but they are there:

DSC04012_zps66a955dc.jpg

DSC04009_zps0d06d037.jpg

Last edited:

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Is there a part number directly from brembo if I wanted to order these from a distributor?

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
The calipers come only as a kit with the rotors, pads, & lines through FRPP or Brembo.

From the Frpp website it says the following is included in the kit:

4-piston Aluminum Calipers
High Performance/Autocross Pads
Slotted 13" Rotors
Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Hardware

What brake pad should I install in the rear?

Users who are viewing this thread