Looking to buy a CSVT...

BigRobSA

Established Member
I am looking around for a better MPG daily driver, and figured I'd look at a car I've had my eye on for a while now. The C SVT.

I've found a couple in the general area, there's one with 160k in Des Moines, and a rear bumper accident. He has the replacement bumper cover, so that's no big deal. And the trunk has been replaced already, it's just blue instead of black, like the rest of the car.

Not definitely a keeper, but when I talked to him on the phone, he mentioned that his engine (after he took it to the carwash and started spraying the engine down) started making a "ticking" sound. Could that be the intake (since it's probably plastic)?

Is 160k nearing the "end of the line" for the 2.5L, or is that "just getting started" like some engines that get better with time?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
To be honest the 2.5L is hit or miss. Some die early, some last forever. I know its common knowledge, but it all depends on how it was maintained/treated.

The intakes aren't plastic. I believe they are aluminum.

As for the 'ticking' could be a few things. Could be the chain tensioners getting weak. Could be lifters sticking. Not sure what the spraying down has to do with the ticking.

BigRobSA

Established Member
I'm assuming that by "chain tensioners", you mean timing chain?

Anything else I should be looking for that's commonly found to be problematic? Suspension issues such as broken springs, broken motor mounts, etc?

Thanks, again, for your input/insight!:beer:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yeah, I only heard of them wearing out a few times in my 6 years of ownership.

Outside of the normal stuff, 3rd gear grind is the biggest thing to look for. I'm assuming most things have been gone through with that kind of mileage?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Allstyle,

the one in question: 3k.

black99lightnin,

what "wiring issues" on 98s?

Basically the wiring insulation becomes brittle, flakes off and you have exposed wires. This leads to shorts, possible fires, etc... I sold one to a friend and he began having issues, and the wiring was at fault.

1BadCSVT

Missing my E0!
Established Member
$3000 for an SVT with 160k is way too high. I sold mine with 98k and a few mods for $3700. Check out contour.org for more info/semi-better priced CSVT's. I say semi-better priced because sometimes people think their cars are worth way more then they actually are, but for the most part members know the real value of them.

Users who are viewing this thread