Looking at buying an SVT Contour

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would be new to the SVT Contour world if I get one. There are 2 for sale near me I'm very interested in since I need a new daily driver and I've always been intrigued by these cars. I currently own a SHO and a 5.0 Cobra SVT and I do all my own work on both so in no way am I new to performance vehicles.

I'd like to know what I should be looking for in a used SVT Contour. Like when I got my first SHO I had no idea to check the plug wells, do a climate control self check etc and if I had I could have made a better decision about what to get. Basically what are the big ticket items to be REALLY anal retentive about? I've found one really promising near me but still, I need to know all the little nitnoid things to look at so I don't get hosed.

Thanks so much in advance.

-Scott

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
search :bored: its been asked at least 10 times this past year.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Sry, already searched and linked myself over to contour.org and found alot of good info there. Dunno why I asked this noob question, I guess I assumed there wasn't as big a cult following for these cars as there is.

I now know that with these cars its basically just a basic check like you would for any used car just being extra careful to listen for ANY ticks because of the oil starvation problem. I'm going to look at one with a new engine 20,000 miles ago tomorrow so I'm stoked.

BlownBayou

The Innovator Has Spoken
Established Member
VERY HIGH MAINTENANCE!!!!

Parts are more expensive then you would think

'98 models have a wire harness that likes to strip off its insulation for your entertainment

Alternator is a BITCH to change...This was the last straw it took for me to trade mine in.

IAC likes to take a dump more than others

Sunroof gears / motor WILL act up on you

Cam position sensor is easy to change....FOR A REASON!!!!

Power seat motor broke

Fog light cracked which in turn blew the fog light fuse...why is this important??? FORD ran the ENTIRE charging circuit through this fuse.

These are a few of the things I experienced with my 1998.5 SVTC

scottydsntknow

Established Member
VERY HIGH MAINTENANCE!!!!

Parts are more expensive then you would think

'98 models have a wire harness that likes to strip off its insulation for your entertainment

Alternator is a BITCH to change...This was the last straw it took for me to trade mine in.

IAC likes to take a dump more than others

Sunroof gears / motor WILL act up on you

Cam position sensor is easy to change....FOR A REASON!!!!

Power seat motor broke

Fog light cracked which in turn blew the fog light fuse...why is this important??? FORD ran the ENTIRE charging circuit through this fuse.

These are a few of the things I experienced with my 1998.5 SVTC

I just got one, mine is a 2000 so no worries about the wiring harness and I know about the fuel pump issue. Not hard to do IMO, pull the seat, cut an access panel and change.

Alternator is a pain in the ass on most cars these days but they don't go bad very often and they CAN be done in the car so w/e.

Haven't heard many issues on the IAC but if they're anything like other Fords I've owned and worked on its pretty easy to change and they're not much price wise.

If the cam sensor is easy to change I'm not too worried about it.

The power seat motors in both my 95 Fords still work great, haven't heard of this being an issue either...

Busted fog light wasn't the car's fault and most car companies route wiring in stupid ways. Hell, Honda runs almost everything through the radio controls which causes all kinds of issues when installing a stereo.

Honestly it sounds like you had a lemon... Not saying that these cars should be maintenance free but I guess having a SHO for a daily driver has made me immune to nitnoid things like you listed. If you aren't fixing something on a SHO at least once a month then you aren't doing it right lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread