Boss 302 vs '07/'08/'09 GT500 vs '11/'12/'13 GT500 OE H/X Pipe comparison

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Yeah. I left the '10 out just to make sure nobody was sleeping at the wheel.

To wit, I now have low mileage systems from the following...an OE X-pipe from an '09 GT500, an OE H-pipe from a '11 GT500, and the OE H/Quad pipe from a '12 Boss 302. Some of what you'll see is to be expected and some may surprise you. Let's begin...

L to R...'09, '11, '12 (Boss)

IMG_9460.jpg

It is generally assumed that the early 2-1/2" diameter system wouldn't flow as well as the later (read that as larger) 2-3/4" system. Makes perfect sense. The Boss pipe is all over the map with regards to diameter and I'll get to that later.

Something struck me immediately about the '11 pipe - the converters are different than those used in '07-'09 and are very similar to those used on the Boss (as well as the 5.0 GT).

IMG_9459.jpg

'09 left '11 right.

IMG_9461.jpg

Word is that the later GT500 pipe uses larger diameter exhaust manifolds. Considering that, I paid close attention to the inlets. Not the kink on the '11 system...

IMG_9465.jpg

IMG_9464.jpg

Also note that the short section of pipe, between the manifold and the cat - necks down to a smaller diameter...

IMG_9468.jpg

The '09 pipe doesn't neck down as much. There is a crimp on the right side pipe at the O2 bung, however...

IMG_9469.jpg

Curios as to the OD of the pipes at their smallest point (this being the section between the manifold and the cat) I measured each. The '11 OD...

IMG_9491.jpg

The '09 OD...

IMG_9493.jpg

Color me surprised that the newer system is more restrictive at the start. Curiosity now on alert, I wanted to verify the assumption that the two pipes utilize different diameter ball ends at the exhaust manifold exit. In other words, I thought the newer system accommodated a larger manifold. Measuring the ID at the bell mouthed opening (2-3/4") on the '11 pipe...

IMG_9473.jpg

The '09 pipe, measures the same!

IMG_9472.jpg

Very surprising. Now the exit portion, be it X or H...

IMG_9475.jpg

IMG_9476.jpg

Boss

IMG_9494.jpg

What else caught my eye - the Boss cats and the '11 cats are very similar. You almost can't tell the difference when I don't show the entire cat...

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_9478.jpg

IMG_9481.jpg

IMG_9480.jpg

I had wondered if the 5.4 cat was a more robust/higher flowing unit that the GT/Boss. They appear to be very much the same.

Gotta cut this one short. More tomorrow!

Van@RevanRacing

Interesting Tob. Looking forward to the final analysis on this one. The O2 sensors before and aft versus in the cat is also interesting.

Van

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice write up man, thats cool the 10 x pipe will work with Dynatech LT's

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Looks like the exit section of the 11 is wider than the 09? Doubt it would fit the older cars.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Interesting Tob. Looking forward to the final analysis on this one. The O2 sensors before and aft versus in the cat is also interesting.

Van

When I get a few minutes, I'd like to talk to you about this Van. There are a number of options in terms of parts availability for those looking for H-sections, bolting on Boss side pipes, etc. I'd like to bounce some ideas off you if possible.

Thanks for taking time out to share.

No problem. I have been looking forward to examining each as I had never been satisfied with the little amount of data that has been out there previously. Now, hopefully the wheels are turning, helping people to make more informed decisions.

2010 same as 2009.

Here's the best:

IMG_0704.gif

Bolts up to Dynatech LT's.

Nice work. Good to see you come up with a logical solution utilizing factory parts in concert with some customization to make it happen.

Looks like the exit section of the 11 is wider than the 09? Doubt it would fit the older cars.

Ron, that's the segway that brings me to where I stopped with this yesterday. Indeed, the pipe centers are different. To begin, here's a shot of the KR 'H' section, which matches the diameter of the '07-'10 as well as the pipe centerline to centerline dimension at its exit. Here it is, laid atop the Boss pipe. The Boss matches the '11-'12 in terms of exit centerline dimension as well as diameter.

IMG_8861.jpg

IMG_8863.jpg

I think that most any '07-'12 iteration of the mini 'H' section is going to cost more simply because it has to be made from scratch. I'm looking into just that, but with the additional flanged exits that the Boss uses, so that any '07-'10 owner could then bolt on the Boss quad pipes with a minimum of hassle.

However, I think I could put together something for '11-'12 owners interested in Boss side pipes much quicker. If any '11-'12 owners are interested, by all means make it known here. My intent would be to alter the FRPP side pipe kit that is designed to work with the 5.0 engine to work on the 5.4 instead.

69Mach1351w

Established Member
However, I think I could put together something for '11-'12 owners interested in Boss side pipes much quicker. If any '11-'12 owners are interested, by all means make it known here. My intent would be to alter the FRPP side pipe kit that is designed to work with the 5.0 engine to work on the 5.4 instead.

I would be pleased to purchase the boss side pipes. I'm about to purchase a pulley/power pach from Van, I would happily wait for a boss exhaust swap also. I'm trying to figure out the correct exhaust setup to give a bit unique of a sound.

TurboPh1sh

Established Member
Do you think the placement of the rear 02 sensors on the newer gt500 pipe has to do with the Wideband sensors being more sensitive to heat, Considering the 07-09 sensor are inside the cats and are not wideband sensors?

Either way this confirms my initial judgement that with an '11 offroad pipe you can retrofit the 2011-2012 catback to a 07-09 platform.

all you would need would be:

- catless pipe (or you can pickup a '11-'12 stock catted pipe, if that's what you want)

- over the axle pipes with ball joint flange

- the newer style muffler with ball joint flanges

- the newer style hanger brackets to accommodate extra hangers on muffler.

Maybe im missing something? Please feel free to throw in other parts that may be needed.

3black12svt

I want to install FR /302 side exit aswell on my 12! I want to use an cut out to get the sound when I want it. Just ordered a pulley and tune for van cant wait to install it!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Brad (bpodner) and I are taking this on. We are are going to fit the Boss system to his '11 convertible.

More when parts arrive.

Tob

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If you're inquiring as to the Boss pipes being added to an '11 GT500 (Brad's) - it's done.

img0487ao.jpg

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/801706-boss-302-quad-pipes-gt500.html

Brad said:
I would say the sound is more going from stereophonic to quadrophonic, did I just date myself?, or surround for you younger folks. Not much louder, just more pleasingly different.

Brad said:
It's hard to tell over my Magnaflow exhaust but the quad pipe DEFINITELY improves the overall sound of the car.

Too bad that more didn't jump on the bandwagon when Van attempted to offer it up. When it comes to cranking up the badass (man, I get a kick out of the phrase!) the Boss quads just plain deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread