GT500 or Roush RS3 w/Aluminator Option???

pcw

Established Member
This is my delema, price is about the same. GT500 pros are you get a full warranty and extended if you choose. Possible higher HP with the 5.8L if you add a tune, pulley, CAI. Cons, weight, 1000's GT500 are produced, resale value. Roush pros, Lighter, Aluminator race motor, automatic if that's your thing, higher resale value, only about 100 Aluminator's produced a year. Arguably better handling, phase 3 option, faster. Cons, 1 year 12K warranty w/Aluminator option, 5.0 vs 5.8.

What are your opinions?

pcw

IA Shelby

Established Member
Higher resale value on the Roush????

Might want to do some more homework.

ponyboy96

Established Member
^ this

But if you want to be different, get the Roush. The Shelby has much more potential.

Black Sex

Established Member
Never was fan of Roush or Saleens. Just a modded GT with a fancey name and a body kit IMO.

KidMoney

Established Member
Also, if you mod the GT500 warranty is out the window. The auto is a big plus on the Roush. But it's not a Shelby.

pcw

Established Member
Thanks for the reply's, I can agree that the resale does seem to be a bit less for the RS3's, the Aluminator is still to early to tell. Also, the Ford dealer close to me is mod friendly and states they do a lot of performance upgrade with keeping the warranty intacted. Take that for what it's worth, :)

pcw

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Never known a Rousch (GT with a kit) hold it's value. Choice is yours but a vehicle is only worth what someone else will pay for it. Never really impressed by Roush prices but he does produce some nice body pieces every now and then.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Never was fan of Roush or Saleens. Just a modded GT with a fancey name and a body kit IMO.

Yep. Usually pretty ugly, too. You can rice out a GT a lot cheaper than buying either of those two. :burnout:

pcw

Established Member
Wow, kinda surprise at all the flames about Roush, I realize it's not a Shelby but c'mon, A Shelby's DNA isn't that far from a GT either. What about a GT350, supercharged GT, do you flame that as well? Everything is just a Mustang with sup, brakes and motor upgrade. You are really going be sad for 2015 MY, just a lowly 5.0 DI, just what a Roush and GT350 have now....

pcw

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
It depends what you want to do with the car. For a drag strip killer the Roush will walk all over the gt500. And power potential is about the same. Aluminators are solid motors and can handle 800whp without any issues. I don't think that the tvs will get you that high. Maybe on e85. The gt500 in the other hand is a better looking car in my eyes and it can hit 200mph which is fun. Get them close to the c6z in top end. If it was my choice I would really have to think about it. The aluminator is really a monster.

Imatk

Established Member
Yeah I think the comments about the Roush he's talking about being a "modded" GT would fall directly in line with a Shelby being a "modded" GT.

They both share the same platform, and they both have replaced the drivetrain.

BTW the V6 Mustang is the same platform as the almighty Shelby... I never understand when guys think a Shelby is somehow not a modified Mustang just because Shelby happened to put his name on it.

Now the resale value I totally agree with... the Shelby will have better resale... likely because of the above flame comments.

Then again it is a GT500 forum so I suspect if you went to a Roush forum you'd get the exact opposite comments.

Roush = Rice... REALLY?

Last edited:

mgmustang1

Established Member
I think we would see alot more 9 sec gt500's if there was an auto option. I'm by no means an auto driver but for drag strip the new auto's are killer.

gt500 will always have a higher resale value period...

pcw

Established Member
Don't get me wrong, I love the Shelby's both the GT350 and the 500 and I agree about the looks.Nothing is perfect on any car but there are something about the Roush with the Aluminator that keeps me coming back to it. I love the strips of the Shelby, but really that's the only difference I see when I compare the two. Interior, goes to Roush W/Recaros, I can add the Competition Brake Package, out performs the GT500 brakes, which IMHO has always be a weak point for the Shelby. Check out the youtube "10 cars that want to kill you". Handling, edge to Roush, lighter front end. I like 3.73 on the Roush vs the 3.31 on the Shelby, 200 mph is great but really where am I going to do that? Both cars need just a little bit of work/upgrades to make them what you want. Prices are almost identical, so that just leaves personal preference. Thanks again for your input, much appreciated !!!!

pcw

Black Sex

Established Member
who cares where the Roush or Shelby come from. They are all just a Mustang with different badges and body parts. I personally like the fact that my SVT (aka Shelby) came the way it is from the Ford plant, not shipped off somewhere else to have the work completed. JMO

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Don't get me wrong, I love the Shelby's both the GT350 and the 500 and I agree about the looks.Nothing is perfect on any car but there are something about the Roush with the Aluminator that keeps me coming back to it. I love the strips of the Shelby, but really that's the only difference I see when I compare the two. Interior, goes to Roush W/Recaros, I can add the Competition Brake Package, out performs the GT500 brakes, which IMHO has always be a weak point for the Shelby. Check out the youtube "10 cars that want to kill you". Handling, edge to Roush, lighter front end. I like 3.73 on the Roush vs the 3.31 on the Shelby, 200 mph is great but really where am I going to do that? Both cars need just a little bit of work/upgrades to make them what you want. Prices are almost identical, so that just leaves personal preference. Thanks again for your input, much appreciated !!!!

pcw

The only thing that is really keeping the rs3 in this debate is the aluminator. I think that the aluminator can safely handle more power than the stock 5.8 short block of the gt500. they are both great machines and is really your choice at the end. the rs3 can be a 9 second car with very little money and it could do it over and over and over without any problems. the new 6 speed auto is a monster.

pcw

Established Member
what do the new RS3 Aluminators run in the 1/4 off the showroom floor?

Because it's a new option for 2014 and are just hitting the dealer lots, not sure there is a lot of recorded times out there. I believe I have seen one youtube and it ran 11.4, but it was a phase 3 upgrade, 675HP. A stock Aluminator come with 575HP, phase 2 is at 625HP, phase 3 comes with 675HP. There are a few you tubes with a SC Aluminator race motor running 9.8, 9.6.

pcw

Users who are viewing this thread