Review: Kenwood DNX890HD /w Idata Link

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well I have tried a few different things on Roxxy as far as audio goes. I did not buy the car with the electronics package, so I have always mulled around about doing it aftermarket. I have looked into several things, and tried a few, but was not happy with how it was done. Then I read about Idata link solution and was waiting to see the final product. After finally being released, I looked into a few more options and I finally decided to pull the trigger on this setup.

Trust me, it was worth it. :dancenana:

The system is a IDataLink Maestro RR coupled with the face plate Maestro MUS1 Dash Kit. With a 13 Kenwood H/U. Now the great part about this is that you retain all of the Sync system with this setup. I mean ALL of it. When done, you actually have 3 USB ports to use. The mic and all the sync is still usable. Idatalink really did their home work and put a nice module together. Overall install is not to bad...I would say hardest parts is tapping sync system and the OBDII ports.

Features:

As I said you have all of your Sync functions. The extra's are of course Navigation by Garmin, with traffic updates. The 890HD rocks a 13 band EQ with spacial technology. I have to admit on the stock amps, it really brings your music alive. Now here is where it separates itself from the other offerings. With the Kenwood H/U you can now have all of your Havoc control through the radio. Just like on a mytouch system. The faceplate has a climate button, that access your climate controls and bring them up on the system..(sorry I did not take a pic..) So no crazy looking screen for it, it comes up just like the mytouch system.

Also, each button can be programmed. You have 5. You can have each button do two functions. In my case I have this setup.
1. Climate=Climate
2. AC-on/off (Hold) Max AC on/off
3. Gauges on (Hold) System info---I will get into this next
4. Fan up (Hold) Fans down
5. Rear defrost ON/off (Hold) Forward defrost On/off

These buttons are like a short cut. Of course you can just go to climate and do everything from there.

Gauges

One of the BEST features of this system are the gauge system. Hit the gauge button to pull up ACTIVE gauge controls. Yes ACTIVE. The maestro unit plugs into your OBDII port. (actually you have to tap or solder the wires) With this you can access ALL of the OBDII port info. This includes engine codes, tire pressure, and engine info read by the port. It also allows you to RESET engine codes on the fly! Its really nice. All of the gauges are real time and very accurate. I tested this last night at the track. For my setup I have:

RPM's
MAF
A/F
Intake Temp
Exhaust Temp

It does a myriad of other readings as well. But alas a few cannot be read...like boost :shrug: Its there in the menu, but grayed out. A few others as well. I guess the OBDII does not read these ? :shrug: or maybe a patch will allow it......

Overall I am very happy with the system. Kenwood has a patch out that greatly improved the system since it first arrived. With this, boot times are very fast, response as well...also extra features have been added to BT and the NAV menu's.

Overall I will say if you have the Shaker500 system, and desire Nav, then look no further. The fit n Finish is stock like, you retain all of your Sync features including the Led screen, and it just plain works. WELL. Also Alpine and Pioneer will release H/U compatible with the Maestro system this year. Always good to have choices.

So there you have it. I did not go over everything this system can do, (lol still learning it) but if you have some questions ask away.

Pics !
20140122_144616.jpg

20140122_144648.jpg

20140122_144753.jpg

20140122_144819.jpg

20140121_143612.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I can't believe I wasted my time installing the factory NAV system and am glad I pulled it back out. But your install has definitely caught my attention! Nice job.

Ninjak

Established Member
I can't believe I wasted my time installing the factory NAV system and am glad I pulled it back out. But your install has definitely caught my attention! Nice job.

For your year, you would not need the faceplate, so the climate controls would not be needed. As for the gauges, I am not sure, but I would say (maybe) no to get the gauges. I do know you would get all of the sync features with the Kenwood system, along with what the H/U does, and/or soon to be Alpine or Pioneer offerings.

EDIT

After learning the system more, and checking into some things for a friend, I would say it could work... for a 07~09. If you order the system for a 07~09 you would not need the face plate of course because the radio would go right into the slot there. What you do get though is a different cable, which I believe has the harness that attach to the OBDII ports. If the 08 has Sync, which I believe it should, the you would get the RR and everything should hook up. Call Idatalink to confirm. http://maestro.idatalink.com/

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
That looks great - I wish that OBDII gauge integration worked with the '08. Last item on my list to purchase is a new head unit this summer. Thanks for posting up the review.

Towboater68

Established Member
For an 07 you can get an upscale pioneer and they have OBII port cable and then there is several apps that you can use. I've been looking at doing this. Goto crutchfield and look at the double din pioneers.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I thought it was based on the computer in the car and what it can output. The new cars with sync can display the data but the older cars can't? If I'm wrong, that would be awesome but that's how I understood it to work.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
That was my curiosity as well. I will look at crutchfield and see what I can find out but was wondering if the car is capable of putting out that information?

Ninjak

Established Member
So this wouldn't work on an '07? Is there anything similar for '07-'09?

The way the face plate setups on the 10+ they have built the gauge port within it. I have seen that Idatalink has a data link cable that plugs into the back of the radio, so maybe it could work. I had bought that cable with my system, then found that I did not need it. I would suggest to go to this link, iDatalink - Maestro - Home and talk to their support. Its really good. They could answer this question for you.

I thought it was based on the computer in the car and what it can output. The new cars with sync can display the data but the older cars can't? If I'm wrong, that would be awesome but that's how I understood it to work.

I understood this as well. As I said above I guess it would be were the data cable link up, and the harness that would be use that has the wires that link into the OBDII port.

In truth, now that I think about it, I feel it WOULD WORK. I have learn how to use the radio, and it has a screen called MY MUSTANG. within that screen there is a button to go to gauges, and vehicle info. So yes...I am sure it would work. The harness you would get with the radio and the RR unit comes with a ADS harness, and THAT harness has the ODBII wires. I remember looking at it.

So yes I think it will work, but again call Idatalink and confirm :)

Ninjak

Established Member
Interesting. Looks good.

Wonder how it would work with a factory nav based car...

I would call Idatalink.....Because the face plate on a 2010+ still includes the LED display where a 2010+ Nav equip car does not have that....So I guess you could cover it...but I am not sure how it would look.

As far as the radio, I would guess it would be the same. The climate system programs to the features you have. So no issues there.

SuperFly03

Established Member
I would call Idatalink.....Because the face plate on a 2010+ still includes the LED display where a 2010+ Nav equip car does not have that....So I guess you could cover it...but I am not sure how it would look.

As far as the radio, I would guess it would be the same. The climate system programs to the features you have. So no issues there.

Would be nice to upgrade the head unit but at the same time putting the gauges down that far out of sight is giving me pause.

Right now they are in my line of sight so I don't have to take my eyes off the road/track.

Looks like a great system though. Might consider this for the truck :coolman:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You def wouldn't like the '08 then - they are at the base of the shifter...as low as you can go and annoying. This would move them up for me :-D

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I emailed them the questions for the '07-'09 and included a link to this thread.

Tmatt142

Established Member
On Alpine's website, they have a link showing the installation of their equivalent installed in a GT500. Price of the unit was $1700.

Ninjak

Established Member
Is this a powered or non-powered unit? Did it actually improve the sound quality/volume?

The Excelon units are powered. Also the Maestro RR unit retain your amps if you have a Shaker 500. So I get good sound and good bass. The unti really kicks it up a notch ecp if you upgraded the speakers.

how much do those bad boys cost?

The DNX series vary, but I picked up the DNX890 for 819$ from a local shop. Kenwood has stopped production, so you can probably find them cheaper. I have seen refurbish units for 500$

On Alpine's website, they have a link showing the installation of their equivalent installed in a GT500. Price of the unit was $1700.

That is for the "My Perfect Fit" kit which is basically a schorche (spelling ?) face plate kit that alpin had made to take in their 8inch unit. I did not go with that because it still puts the radio to low. This kit moves it up considerably.

Also the schorche kit gives you this cheesy looking havoc control, where as this unit puts them in the radio. Now Alpine and Pioneer will have a Radio out this year that will interface with the Idatalink unit..it will be interesting to see what they com up with. Kenwood made good profit being the only game in town, but indeed they did their homework with Ford and Idatalink and gave the user everything they wanted in a head unit.

Tmatt142

Established Member
thank you! Very interesting plus the price isn't that bad. I agree, I would rather the head unit be up high. Didn't quite care for Alpines take.

Users who are viewing this thread