Anyone know where to get Mystichrome Paint?

DNeinstadt

Established Member
Trying to do some touchup on some things and would like REAL mystichrome paint, not the knock off stuff.

Anyone have access to this? Just need about a pint.

Dan

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Your dealer can supply you with it. Otherwise, Dupont direct might be your best bet. However, you dealer will most likely have to order it and give you what you need.

From what I understand, Ford sends them enough to do the job and requests the unused portion back. (according to my dealer body shop).

DNeinstadt

Established Member
I've tried the Ford dealer and they can only give me G6 touch up paint. I haven't tried it but that's not enough to paint what I want to do. I tried one body shop in town and they said they couldn't get it. I'll try the others but thought maybe someone on here was selling some..

Thanks!

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Call your local CarQuest Auto and ask which of their stores does the DuPont paint. Call them and order "Ford G6 / DuPont 7099" - it is made from several of their base color-shift paints and other components, like 6 in all. It is going to cost you in excess of $300/pint (price will depend on what they want to offer you, or if you can find a local "jobber" to get the discount the usually extend professionals in the trade).

Supposedly spraying this paint is easier than doing white - there's no color matching! It just lays down, sets up the color shift, and is good to go. I have spoken to 2 people that have used the DuPont blend and they say it's a dead-on match.

I am in the process of getting 2 pints. I am in Cleveland, Ohio. If you want to try and get a better price by splitting a quart drop me a PM. I will be ordering next week for sure.

FWIW - I do not believe that Ford maintains control of the G6 paint they way they did the original Mystic. I had a 96, I now have an 04 'Vert.

Don
BTW - color code info is from the "2004 Ford Color Combination Chart" found on (one of) DuPonts web site(s)

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
great post, :beer:
johnny-longtors said:
Call your local CarQuest Auto and ask which of their stores does the DuPont paint. Call them and order "Ford G6 / DuPont 7099" - it is made from several of their base color-shift paints and other components, like 6 in all. It is going to cost you in excess of $300/pint (price will depend on what they want to offer you, or if you can find a local "jobber" to get the discount the usually extend professionals in the trade).

Supposedly spraying this paint is easier than doing white - there's no color matching! It just lays down, sets up the color shift, and is good to go. I have spoken to 2 people that have used the DuPont blend and they say it's a dead-on match.

I am in the process of getting 2 pints. I am in Cleveland, Ohio. If you want to try and get a better price by splitting a quart drop me a PM. I will be ordering next week for sure.

FWIW - I do not believe that Ford maintains control of the G6 paint they way they did the original Mystic. I had a 96, I now have an 04 'Vert.

Don
BTW - color code info is from the "2004 Ford Color Combination Chart" found on (one of) DuPonts web site(s)

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
You do need black as the base. Wont do anything without black.
I just ordered a touchup bottle for $7.

724042_17_full.jpg

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
You do need black as the base. Wont do anything without black.
I just ordered a touchup bottle for $7.

724042_17_full.jpg
black? I thought it was silver :shrug:

FreSh03Gt

Established Member
How much did you pay to have your interior pieces done? I have been thinking of doing that myself.

Thrust

Established Member
I wish that I could get ahold of a yard of the mystichrome leather. I would use it on the door pockets, and the shifter and brake boots. I'm pretty sure that it would cost a arm and a leg.

Mystichrome

Spoiler Delete
Established Member
You do not need to use black base it is a simple basecoat clearcoat and can be purchased at any dupont dealer. I have used it several times and it matches perfectly. Dupont says if it doesn't match it was mixed wrong. Hope this helps

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Mystichrome said:
You do not need to use black base it is a simple basecoat clearcoat and can be purchased at any dupont dealer. I have used it several times and it matches perfectly. Dupont says if it doesn't match it was mixed wrong. Hope this helps
oh ok, i know with ppg you have to use a black base. thanks for the info

Chameleon

Established Member
Thrust said:
I wish that I could get ahold of a yard of the mystichrome leather. I would use it on the door pockets, and the shifter and brake boots. I'm pretty sure that it would cost a arm and a leg.

I thought the same thing so I contacted GST Auto Leather (they are the company that made the mystichrome leather for Ford) and the refused to sell any. Also a while back a Mystichrome owner was trying to get some to have some leather jackets done with some Mystichrome leather trim - they refused him also. There is some knock off color changing leather but it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the real stuff.

sho95

Established Member
So you just have to sand and spray the mystichrome or you do need a basecoat of another colour?

Thanks

ks_04SVT

Established Member
Any body shop, should be able to get your color code and mix the paint themselves. Any body shop I have worked at mixed there own paint.

Users who are viewing this thread