Mystichrome owners who've had body work or repaint...

MystichromeVert

Established Member
... could you take your car anywhere to have it fixed or did you have to take it to a Ford dealership because of the paint? At the bare minimum, I'm going to need a new front bumper painted and possibly some touch up work on the fenders and rocker panels.

Here's what happened: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291970

Anyway, my insurance company told me to pick a place to do the repair work and I've got some good body shops in mind. Problem is, I don't know if I can use them or if I'm limited to Ford dealerships because of the paint.

I know some of you mystichrome guys have first hand experience with this... would you mind filling me in? Thanks!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
You are not limited to Ford. I would try and find a shop that (1) has a great reputation for quality work (2) professionalism (3) customer service (4) experience with mystichrome paint. I believe any high quality painter can do the job, so that's why experience is at the bottom of the list...but nice to have if you can find someone.

MystichromeVert

Established Member
Just spoke with SVT... or Ford Racing... or whatever they're called now just to verify and you guys are correct. No restrictions, anybody can buy the paint. Ford doesn't even get involved.

Thanks for your replies!

SpectorV

Established Member
yup the paint can be picked up by anyone (I assumed it was lik the 96 mystic but its not) so you shouldnt have a problem. I would go OUT OF MY WAY to ensure NOTHING is painted on the car, have all panels painted off the car and put back on unless you dont mind scrubbing overspray off your car for hours (wash off my butt)

I got very lucky they had to paint my hood/bumper/fenders on the car to ensure a color match, they knew how picky I was and I didnt have to do much overspray removal, only a couple spots~

I wouldnt take the chance regardless of what they said unless I had no choice. When you get it back feel over the entire car, it feels like sandpaper. If you find some make them clean it off.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A good opportunity to get the underside of the hood painted also.

Just pick a body shop that has a good reputation for the paint work they do.

A shop that does customs that have won paint awards at local car shows will likely have a killer painter(or two) on staff.

Users who are viewing this thread