Even Flow Cooling mod

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
Well started putting on the steigy today and got everything apart. while i was at it i was going to install the even flow cooling kit. long story short i was trying to get the freeze plug out and while i was using a punch and hitting it my dumbass didnt pay attention to how much it was goign down. the plug is now bottomed out on the intake and cant pop sidways. went on the evenflow website and saw that you could drill a hole into the plug and put a screw then pull it out with a prybar. what a pain it isnt budging now. any ideas?

heywaitfourme

Established Member
Try the drilling the hole and going from there. There aren't really any easy ways to get it out. I would try to hole method and hope that it works, otherwise, the only other option I can think of it cutting it out.

Good luck with it, hope you get it out.

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
thanks man. the pry bars i had were a little short i got a new one last night. Had to take a break from it. hopefeully i can get a little more leverage.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
SVT BITTEN said:
Is this mod REALLY worth all the effort? Ive been considering it whenever i do a steig port or a blower swap.

Please consider this...

99 though 04 Navigators(32 valve DOHC 5.4)
03 though 05 Aviators(same heads as ours)

Both are known to burn exhaust valves... although we suspect most are due to insufficient octane... IE: running less than 91 on a vehicle that needs 91.
99.9% are always the LEFT HEAD!!! The left head is the only one we stock at work because that is the one we always sell.

Most(but not all of course) of the detonation events that took out engines on our cars running higher than stock boost were isolated to the left bank and the rear cylinders more than the front ones.

It became obvious due to the coolant routing that the left head was not getting the same flow.

The combustion chamber face is subject to more heat as the power is increased by mods and of course boost increases.

If the coolant goes beyond a nucleate boil and lays down a layer of steam on the coolant side of the chamber face, the insulating steam prevents the coolant from contacting the metal surface of the face... and thus no more heat is removed by the coolant... and face temps and coolant over boiling escalate rapidly... which = more steam and so on.

BAD THINGS BEGIN TO HAPPEN----> AND FAST!!!

This mod and the well designed LDC left head cooling mod are designed to enhance coolant flow in a KNOWN TROUBLE SPOT. The left head!

If you are running more than stock boost I think it's a great preventative measure.

I'm running a modified version that does both heads to protect my engine during 20 minute open track sessions in the TEXAS HEAT!!

Have I done other cooling mods?? You bet!!

It's up to each owner to decide if they want this added cooling protection.:beer:

ASVT2NV

Insane And Rising....
Established Member
hmm sounds like something i will def do when i do something else with the blower. Whether it be a port or whipple. Thanks for the info!!

Users who are viewing this thread