What the heck is a Boost Overlay?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Post and thread by : Ray Hilton

Posted for Ray by : HISSMAN

I've been getting a lot of questions from members who are new to this site asking about my Boost Overlays. First I'd like to say welcome to the board, good to have you! You'll find a lot of cool stuff and cool people here.
Here is some information that I think you will find helpful.
I copied the FAQ portion from my web site www.boostoverlay.com which helps explain what
a Boost Overlay is and what it does. Let me first ad that the overlay was developed right here on this forum with a lot of suggestions, help and
encouragement from the board members here. The stock boost gauge goes up to a limited 10#s of boost. It wasn't too long before we all started increasing the boost (and horsepower) on our '03 and '04s. With a smaller pulley we had more boost than the stock gauge would show. So we needed a way to read the increased boost. When the 16# Boost Overlay is installed and calibrated it will allow the stock gauge to measure up to 16#s. There is also a second "High Boost" Overlay as well. The High Boost Overlay allows up to 23#s of boost for aftermarket blowers which develop more boost than the Eaton.
The Boost Overlay has been featured in Hot Rod, Muscle Mustangs, 5.0 and possibly a few others I don't know about.
I've been selling them on this board for 5 years or so now. You can also do a search for "Boost Overlay" and read a lot of other posts about the overlay as well.

Frequently asked questions about the Hilton Boost Overlay.

Q: What is it and what will it do for my '03-'04 Cobra or Lightning?
A:The Hilton Boost Overlay is a clear self-adhesive vinyl overlay that installs over the stock boost gauge. When installed and calibrated per the detailed instructions, the overlay allows accurate measurement of up to 16 pounds of boost.

Q:What advantage does the Overlay have over an aftermarket gauge?
A:The Hilton Boost Overlay allows the dash to remain stock appearing. There is no need to drill holes or run extra pluming to a pillar or dash mounted aftermarket gauge. The dash and instrument cluster appearance remain OEM.

Q: How difficult is it to install?
A:The Hilton Boost Overlay was designed to be installed by the novice and professional alike. When the detailed instructions are followed it should take an average of 1 to 2 hours to install and calibrate the overlay.

Q: Why are there only 3 hash marks between the 10 and the 15 on the Cobra overlay?
A:The first hash mark past the 10 on the overlay represents 12 pounds of boost. The far right side of the thick hash mark above the 10 is actually about 11 pounds of boost. The overlay was set up this way in order to keep the hash marks equal distance from each other.

Q: Do I have to calibrate the gauge once the overlay is installed?
A:We highly recommend calibrating the gauge per the instructions that come with the Hilton Boost overlay. Due to production tolerances the boost gauges will vary for car to car. The only way to ensure the accuracy of the overlay is to calibrate the gauge. The instructions will take you step-by-step through this process.
The Overlays can be seen and purchased at www.boostoverlay.com

-Ray

svtleen

Established Member
Some Cobras I see 0-10 psi on the stock boost gauge and some Cobras (such as mines) I see 0-15 psi. Is this what you guys referring too as boost overlay?

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yes SVTleen. If your Terminator has a gauge that goes past 15 you have the original Boost Overlay installed. There is also a version that goes past 20 for Terminator owners with aftermarket blowers. The first post gives some background history as to how and why the Overlay was developed. Thanks for the interest. The Overlays can be viewed and purchased at Hilton Boost Overlay

Ray H.

chitowncobra

Established Member
Yes SVTleen. If your Terminator has a gauge that goes past 15 you have the original Boost Overlay installed. There is also a version that goes past 20 for Terminator owners with aftermarket blowers. The first post gives some background history as to how and why the Overlay was developed. Thanks for the interest. The Overlays can be viewed and purchased at Hilton Boost Overlay

Ray H.
nice write up!!!!!:beer::beer:

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks, I appreciate the order!

I PMed you back but just letting you know the Boost Overlay is on the way. Please keep me posted when it arrives and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. You can also call my home if you need to speak to me or have any questions or comments also.

Thanks, Ray h.

96lowbra

SN8KE B.I.T.3
Established Member
I boutgh my boost overlay I oder it on thursday has been 5 days but havent got it
jet how long does it take

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Overlay order

Hi there. I think we spoke this evening on the phone. usually I try to send the orders out the next day but was not able to in your case. I guess that worked out though because it will go out tomorrow to the updated address you gave me over the phone and not the one in the Paypal order.
It was good chatting with you and I appreciate your business. The overlay will be there in 2 or 3 days. Any other questions please call me.

Ray H.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I did one in my Terminator too... it's great.

3338weg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread