Beginer's Guide to the Cobra (Write up)

2001gunmetalgt

Established Member
Here is a write up I did at work when I was bored for a friend who just bought a 03 vert Cobra. He wanted to know a bunch of info/advice. Let me know what you think!!!

03/04 SVT Cobra
“Terminator”

In 2003 Ford’s Special Vehicle Team (SVT) branch had finally released a production Mustang Cobra that had truly satisfied true Ford enthusiast. John Coletti, the mastermind of the 03/04 Cobra, clamored to make a Cobra that could finally beat the Camaro. To do so, he used off the shelf parts and ideas from the SVT F-150 Lighting to put together the first ever supercharged Mustang. The 03/04 Cobra used the 1999-2004 “New Edge” body style and the virtually unchanged Mustang frame from the late 1970’s. SVT totally beefed the car up; changing the transmission, engine, suspension, breaks, and giving it a more aggressive makeover. The 03/04 Cobra boasts a standard modular 4.6L V-8 cast iron block with DOHC 32-valve Yamaha heads. It utilizes a roots style Eaton supercharger with a water to air intercooler. To handle the added boost/power and potential aftermarket modifications that would be done to the vehicle, SVT totally built the engine up (forged internals) to handle 600+ horsepower. All 03/04 Cobras engines were proudly hand built and signed by SVT at the Romeo plant. SVT slapped a T-56 manual transmission 6-speed into the Cobra with a 3.55 gear ratio in the rear end. The suspension was re-done with improved shocks/springs and a independent rear suspension (IRS) was added for better handling/sophistication (Unlike the Mustang GT’s and Mach I’s that used solid axel rear ends). The 03/04 Cobra’s breaks were also upgraded to Brembo calipers and larger rotors.
When the new Cobra’s hit the streets in 2003 it had finally won the hearts of true Ford fans. The car not only ended the debate, that Ford could not build a car that could out do the Camaros, it performed on a level with the base model C5 Corvettes. With minimal modifications, the new Cobra could even give a C5 Z06 a run for its money. The new Cobra had officially ended all the debates and terminated the Camaro threat, thus its code name, “The Terminator.”

Specs
-4.6L DOHC 32-valve Supercharged V-8 (stock boost @ 8psi)
Stock horse power numbers at the flywheel: 390hp/390lbs of torque
Stock horse power numbers at the wheels (typical dyno #’s): 370-380rwhp/365-370lbs
Stock 03/04 Cobra 1/4mile: 12.9secs –Comparison- Stock 02 Camaro LS1: 13.5secs
-Curb Weight: 3,600lbs
-Base price: Coupe: 35,000 / Convertible: 38,000

Pros
-The 03/04 Cobra was/is one of the cheapest bang for the buck muscle cars to hit the streets in the last decade.
-The car is very responsive to modifications and cheap to modify. With an aftermarket intake, exhaust, and new pulley the car can make roughly 470 horse power at the wheels.
-Vast aftermarket offered to modify the car.
-The car can be used as a daily driver and/or track car.
-Holds its value
-Potential collectors item in the future.
-Makes GM fans nervous because of its high potential thus gaining their respect for the car.

Cons
-SVT neglected to make a coolant exit for the driver’s side head. So, too many back to back high speed runs (140mph+) could cause the car to overheat or damage the heads. The problem could also lead to the common head tick issue (mostly in 03 models). This problem can be cured with simple head cooling modifications or totally new January 2005 revised heads.
-The added stock supercharger, when spun to high with aftermarket pullies, can produce too much heat causing the engine to run hot. As a result the computer will pull timing to try and reduce the heat (The engine will suffer “heat soak” and until it cools down the car will feel slower). This problem can be cured with aftermarket cooling modifications for the intercooler system and engine cooling system.

Advice

The first thing I would advise you to do is to start doing some research about the car on www.svtperformance.com. It is a message board site that has a vast majority of 03/04 Cobra owners on it. People discuss topics about the car (mods, issues, questions, etc…). I pretty much learned everything I know about the car on this site. There is also a website that one of the owners on svtperformance.com made that has a huge questions and answers forum for newbie’s. It explains all recalls, issues, frequently asked questions or concerns, common mods, what to look for when buying a Cobra, etc…Here it is:
http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm <----You can read later but make sure you look threw this. It is a must!
Since you bought a convertible, the first thing I recommend is to get a set of sub frame connectors welded in. Since all mustangs from 1979-2004 use pretty much the same frame (uni-body) its pretty outdated. The frame tends to twist when the car corners and performs hard launches. Sub frame connectors can pretty much significantly reduce this effect and preserve the straightness of the frame and vehicle. Convertibles are even more prone to this issue since they have no solid roof, which adds extra stability to the coupes. A good set of full length Maximum Motorsports sub frame connectors, like I have, are a definite must have modification, especially for convertibles (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...roduct_info&cPath=122_124_233&products_id=585). Make sure when you have someone weld them on they use a drive on lift (not a Post Lift!). The car must have all of its weight on all 4 tires when they are welded on, so that the frame is in its correct position! If a shop tries to tell you that it doesn’t matter and they want to use a post lift then leave and don’t let them do it.
The next thing you should modify is the exhaust system. You can choose any catback and mid-pipe that you want but I can tell you the best bet. From a vast number of brands, Borla, Bassani, Magnaflow, MAC, and SLP are the preferred choices ( I have a SLP catback but wish I got a MAC or Magnaflow). You can listen to many exaust video clips on svtperformance.com (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316340) to figure out what you think sounds the best. A mid-pipe is basically what connects the cat back to the headers. The stock Cobra mid-pipe is a H-pipe with 4 catalytic converters (very restrictive). My advice is to get a X-pipe from either of the main brands. It’s up to you if you want a catted version (comes with 2 high flow catalytic converters) or one without the cats. I have a catted Magnaflow X-pipe which is a very good piece. With a new cat back and mid-pipe you should pick up about 15-20 horsepower to the wheels.
The next thing to modify is the intake and the pulley. I recommend doing both of these modifications together since you will defiantly need to have the car dyno tuned. A new pulley (smaller size then stock) will force the stock supercharger to spin at a higher rate, thus producing more boost which equals more power. The hands down best pullies to buy are from billetflow (www.billetflow.com). The only two choices most Cobra owners go with for intakes are the K&N FIPK or the JLT intakes. After exaust, intake, and this pulley your Cobra should be dynoing around 450-470rwhp depending on your pulley size (they make different sizes, smaller makes more power).
Since you will need a dyno tune after the pulley and intake (A tune is necessary since a pulley and intake juristically alter the stock parameters which can blow the engine up if you don’t get a re-tune) you have to purchase a handheld flash tuner device that the person uses to program a new tune into. The handheld tuner is then used to flash this new tune into your stock ECU. The one and only flasher to buy is the SCT Xcal2 or newer models.
There are many more mods to be done to the Cobra after this point. Most importantly modifications to the rear end (IRS). Braces, bushings, and new bolts can be used to beef up the rear end to handle the extra power. You can port the stock supercharger to get the car into the 500rwhp range or you can totally swap the stock supercharger to a twin screw blower which yields 600+rwhp. Either way the car is a blast and will always make you want more power.
My father owns a 2004 White Cobra with intake, MAC mid-pipe, Magnaflow cat back, billetflow 2.76 pulley, and tune. His car made 476rwhp. I own a 2004 Competition Orange Cobra (1 of 281 copes made) with K&N FIPK intake, Magnaflow X-pipe, SLP cat back, 2.93 billetflow pulley (not as small as my dad’s), and a tune. My car made 463rwhp. If you have any questions go ahead and email me at [email protected]. There is a ton of things I didn’t cover but this all pretty much covers the basics. Defiantly read that link I told you to, which is a must read (http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm)! My dad and I really enjoy the car very much and agree that it was truly Ford’s best modern day muscle car ever made. Enjoy!

-Here is a quick video from Car and Driver that explains the awesomeness of the car and its stats!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z13jfEnRwb8"]YouTube - 2003 cobra video[/ame]

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Great write-up, However I disagree with one thing for sure...
"Cons
-SVT neglected to make a coolant exit for the driver’s side head. So, too many back to back high speed runs (140mph+) could cause the car to overheat or damage the heads. The problem could also lead to the common head tick issue (mostly in 03 models). This problem can be cured with simple head cooling modifications or totally new January 2005 revised heads."

This is not ture...it has not been proven that the Head Cooling Mods nor the revised heads decrease the likelihood of getting the tick or blowing your motor on high speeed runs...do others agree? or have more info on this?

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Well if I was your Professor I would give you an A. Atleast thats why I think you wrote that up. :dancenana:

mrose75

Established Member
brakes, not breaks.sorry, someone had to say it. VERY good write up

LOL:lol:
It was a pretty good write up. I have a Steeda CAI, but I'll let that slide.:poke: Nice reference to a few threads to back up your info.

torchanniv03

Established Member
yea, i agree, that pretty much sums it up!! :beer:
you can get nit-picky and go on forever on these cars, but that is a good overview of the cobra!! good job!

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
I edited your post to one thing I would change. Great post by the way!

Cons
-SVT neglected to make a coolant exit for the driver’s side head. So, too many back to back high speed runs (140mph+) is likely to cause piston damage due to excessive heat and tight piston to cyclinder wall clearances.

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
Actually, a very nice write up. I would change the wording about slapping in a a T-56 transmission though as it demeans the nice transmission that we got. Maybe something like this: The T-56 was necessary to handle the horsepower and it's the same type of transmission that goes into the Dodge Viper and Corvette.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Good write up.
two things:

1) I would move the mention of the differential brace towards the top of your advice on recommended mods. It's cheap, easy and should be done even to stock cars.

2) A nit picky grammar thing: "The first thing I would advise you to do is to start doing some research about the car on www.svtperformance.com. It is a message board site that has a vast majority of 03/04 Cobra owners on it."
Change to: "It is a message board site with many knowledgeable 03/04 Cobra owners." "Vast majority" is a comparative and you're not making a comparison. ;)

04gtstang

Established Member
Awesome! Only thing that seemed off was near the top where you said "The 03/04 Cobra boasts a standard modular 4.6L V-8 cast iron block"

Well actually it has a specially designed iron block with more webbing to handle the extra power. :) Its definitely not standard.

Not sure on the Yamaha heads thing....I never heard about that. What does Yamaha have to do with our heads?

Users who are viewing this thread