My TH400 auto swap

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
As much as I say Im done modding the car. I dont think I will ever be done until I sell it :chairshot: This winter I decided to go Auto with my car. I felt going Auto would be best for the my car especially with the Turbo. I was at the point where I would have to sacrifice something with the clutch. Either something not to aggressive for street drive ability but not hold the power at the track well and put a new one in every year. Or one that will hold the power and potentially give me some serious trans issues and less streetability. So I figured ill put an Auto in it. I decided on a Turbo 400 trans which is a Chevy trans. I know I know. I also had a custom converter built from Ultimate Converter Concepts for my application and a custom Chromoly driveshaft built by Dynatech.

I want to thank Ken (4sdvenom) for making a killer console and Tony (Blk_03) for tons of info on the swap.

"While I was at it" I decided to change turbos again. I went from a standard Precision 76mm to a Billet wheeled Precision 76 with a ported housing.

I took the car for its first ride the other night since the swap. I dont know why I didnt do this sooner. The car flat out hauls ass. Power is always there and comes on much harder and quicker then it did with the stick and its still fun to drive. It was cold out so traction was terrible. I will take some new vids as soon as the weather gets warmer here.

Here are some pics

Trans.

Trans9.JPG

UCC Converter

Converter2.JPG

3.5" Chromolydriveshaft

Driveshaft.JPG

Trans installed. Dont mind the pan. Im repainting it. It got scratched up moving it around my shop since Dec.

Transandshaft.JPG

Undercar1.JPG

Undercar2.JPG

Trans cooler with fan

Cooler.JPG

And some custom work to the center console. Moving the shifter back to where the cupholders were. I will be using a B&M proratchet shifter but still utilizes the stock T56 shifter boot so it will look pretty trick. Added 2 gauges to where the stick used to be and some switches for accessories.

Console.JPG

New Billet Wheeled Precision 76mm turbo with ported housing

Billet1.JPG

Next to the old one

Billet4.JPG

Console installed

Console3.JPG

Console2.JPG

2face

Established Member
damn dude that is sick i bet that cobra fly's.... i got a 1970 454SS monte carlo with a th400 (bullet proof) and it will burn tire going from 2nd to 3rd easily those trans are rugged good luck with it

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Looks factory great job! The car must haul ass! What kinda times you expecting? You've done everything right to make it a real race car! Aluminum block, big turbo, built auto, solid rear... How much you got into it all together? Is it gutted or full interior? Cage?

Last edited:

TermySnake

Established Member
Nicely Done! great job! looks like factory interior. :thumbsup:

I don't think u will ever stop... every now & then... some company publishes an awesome new toys to the market.. makes you really want to install them on your car. lol

That's what i like about these cars.. too much mods... & too easy to gain horse power. :beer:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Looks factory great job! The car must haul ass! What kinda times you expecting? You've done everything right to make it a real race car! Aluminum block, big turbo, built auto, solid rear... How much you got into it all together? Is it gutted or full interior? Cage?

Im shooting for a 9.99 on my 18 DRs on pump gas. Low 9s on a 28"slick on my C16 tune. The car is basically setup for it. No probs cutting 1.4s with the stick when I had my KB. Everything is basically done on this car front to back.

The car is not gutted. No cage (yet) I need to do a 10pt. I have a rear seat delete. Stock front seats. Basically full interior aside from the RSD. Factory brakes. Sway bar has been removed and AC removed. Everything else is there. If you saw and heard the car you would think its stock. Hell even if you drove in it you would think its stock. Its quiet and drives smooth. I drive this car ALOT as well. Its a blast to drive and it flies.

As far as what I have into it I really havent counted. I do all the work myself aside from welding, so I saved a ton in labor. Id said $40k+ easily plus the cost of the car. This car has seen basically ever power adder known to man. Im on my 7th "revision"

Linthemup

Established Member
Very nice set-up . I did the swap last year and could not be happier . I kept my shifter in the stock location and used the button on the shifter for the trans brake and used the speed of sound 4 way switch panel at the cup holder for the nitrous set-up . I wanted to keep everything as stock as possible . Your set-up looks very professionally done . Nice job .

[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/03-Mach-1-SCS-Cheetah_156353.htm]03 Mach 1 SCS Cheetah Shifter - Video[/ame]

TermySnake

Established Member
an Ambitious man! that's what we like to see, a cobra owners modding the hell outta of thier cars, not only the supra guys.

Steve2050

Established Member
TH400 is one tough tranny. I've made over 200 hard launches and never had a tranny problem with 1000rwhp. I see you've also got a brake on there and is that a JW ultrabell?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
They are not the standard Ultralites. They are the UltraLite IIs Instead of them being backlit by a bulb, they have LEDs, so the needle is lit and the numbers light up.

Here is a pic of my boost gauge to give you an idea

gauges.JPG

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
Dude that is flawless work!! Wanna do mine?(seriously) love your setup, turbos turned me off because of the manual. Now that people r having luck with autos I'm rethinking my plan

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Super clean install!!!! :rockon:

Every one of my friends that has switched over to an auto with a turbo has said the same thing. "Why didn't I do this sooner!"

Awesome job! :thumbsup:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Thanks for all the compliments guys

Looks awesome, guess you need to remove that Liberty sticker off your hood huh.

Yea the sticker has to go lol

TH400 is one tough tranny. I've made over 200 hard launches and never had a tranny problem with 1000rwhp. I see you've also got a brake on there and is that a JW ultrabell?

Yes the Bell and flexplate are from JW. The strength of the 400 is the reason why I went with it over the 4r70w Ford trans. With the turbo I dont need OD either cause of my gearing so it works out well

Dude that is flawless work!! Wanna do mine?(seriously) love your setup, turbos turned me off because of the manual. Now that people r having luck with autos I'm rethinking my plan

I can do it for you its not a problem. Working on these cars is my life :beer:

Super clean install!!!! :rockon:

Every one of my friends that has switched over to an auto with a turbo has said the same thing. "Why didn't I do this sooner!"

Awesome job! :thumbsup:

Yea this was a much needed change and I absolutely love it. No regrets and it made the car a totally different animal. It really goes well with the turbo combo.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Awesome work Dave! Why am I not surprised you're at it again my friend. LOL! Hey, I've got to get over to your shop one day soon to see it. Maybe go for a ride with you. I am really impressed with this new setup. Very well done (right down to the console mods) as I would have expected. For those who don't know Dave's work, he is a perfectionist when it comes to mechanicals and installation. You won't find anyone better. And he knows these cars inside and out. Anyway, give me a call on my cell phone Dave when it would be good do drop over. Can't wait to see your car in person. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread