Irs + drag racing = ???

Black Sex

Established Member
Im converting back to IRS. I dont do alot of drag racing but I do go up 3 or 4 times a year. It mainly see's the street, with ocasionaly racing. I would like hit the roadcourse or try auto cross. I see plenty of cars running fast 1/4 miles on IRS. How do you guys keep from breaking stuff. I know any rearend is prone to breaking. The IRS im getting has the subframe bushings and brace. I plan on doing the diff bushings too. How do they take clutch dumps with slicks. From what I read drag radials kill IRS's. I have a Whipple but its only at 13psi. It might see 17-19psi down the road. I dont know if im going to regret switching back or not. Only time will tell. Any feedback would be great.

Last edited:

Fat-cat

Established Member
Dont run DR's

I run a set of 15 inch 10.5 Mt et street bis ply tires and they absorb the shock that breaks Halfshafts.

You can also run a set of 16 inch rims with the same tire. The sidewall on Dr's are so stiff they dont have any give and break shit. Now if you run a 15 in DR aired down you can probably get it done that way. but i like the ET streets. Et Drags are a good option as well.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
^^What he said...Ive gone a best of 10.75 with a 1.5 60' on a stock IRS except for the brace shocks and springs. Use a soft sidewall tire and dont dump the clutch too hard nand you should be fine.

Digital

Established Member
Im converting back to IRS. I dont do alot of drag racing but I do go up 3 or 4 times a year. It mainly see's the street, with ocasionaly racing. I would like hit the roadcourse or try auto cross. I see plenty of cars running fast 1/4 miles on IRS. How do you guys keep from breaking stuff. I know any rearend is prone to breaking. The IRS im getting has the subframe bushings and brace. I plan on doing the diff bushings too. How do they take clutch dumps with slicks. From what I read drag radials kill IRS's. I have a Whipple but its only at 13psi. It might see 17-19psi down the road. I dont know if im going to regret switching back or not. Only time will tell. Any feedback would be great.

Why don't you like solid? Because you want to try autocross and such or were you having problems?
If you've already done the switch I'd try to see what you can do to make the solid work and try some road racing with it. Might not be as bad as you think.
If you wouldent mind posting your upgrade list for your solid as well?

If you do go IRS I would go with Complete IRS Bushing Kit: FTBROrder that AC sells.
They seem to make the best and cheapest kit to keep wheel hop down and it improves handling.
I would stick with the stock half shafts since they are very cheap to replace and seem to break just as often as the expensive ones.

As the poster above me stated keep a fat wall tire, preferably a slick or soft wall drag radial like a mickey. That will help you with the impact of launching.
Don't forgot to upgrade the springs and get a brace as well.

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
I dont dis-like my SRA at all. I never really gave my 1st IRS a chance. The swap is simple to do so I figure ill drive it with the IRS for awhile and see how I like it. If not I can swap back. The swap isnt costing me anything so Im out nothing but time. Im not going to try and set any kind of 1/4 mile records. I think if I keep taking to the track it will eventually turn into a drag only car. I dont want that. Just want a fast street car, that will hook/handle. I know you can do it with the SRA, But you can do it with the IRS too. Plus if I go to sell the car it has the origional rearend in it.
My SRA consisted of Steeda boxed steel upper/lower control arms, Steeda sport springs. FRPP 31 spline axles/ t-lok, 99-04 housing.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I agree with fat-cat and 03cobrra.

I run 16" diamonds with 26x11.5 ET streets and have managed to get a 10 second time slip out of the car with a completely stock IRS with a brace.

Venimus03

Established Member
I run 16" diamonds with 26x11.5 ET streets and have managed to get a 10 second time slip out of the car with a completely stock IRS with a brace.
This will do the trick. Just be sure to run ET Streets or Slicks and you will be good to go. NO DRAG RADIALS! :beer:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
As already stated a good set of slicks will go a long way. Have over 160 track passes on my stock IRS and still going strong.

Sweet '96 Cobra

Beat 'em with a stick!
Established Member
Here is what DR's will do to your halfshafts....Trust me I broke both sides on my car in one foul swoop.. :(

Brokenhalfshaft.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread