wheel hop = gone!

Silverboost

Established Member
Dreaded wheel hop has been finally terminated! After the car being down for 3 weeks to install the Full Tilt Boogie bushing kit I finally got everything back together yesterday. The car feels much more planted now and tighter. You definitely can feel the road more and I can hear the drivetrain more now, but to overcome the wheel hop has been incredible.

This is one install though I would never want to do again ever. My hands and body are so beat up that I am going to need a couple of weeks to heal.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
yea the install takes some serious time but it well worth it :beer:

glad it got rid of it :dancenana: :rockon:

i finshed mine a couple weeks ago & also did the kenny brown hard launch bar & fore irs diff cover & modine diff cooler also cant wait to drive it it will be a few months now cause i have to "de-flooding" the cobra & finish my house before i can work on it since it was @ my house when it got flooded :( :cryying:

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss: i really want to drive my car :cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
so silverboost on your vert do you have any other mods such as subframe connectors or coupe springs?

i do not think it healed my wheelhop completely. i am not very sure yet however. overall i havent gotten hop where i may have before, but i did do a couple of standing clutch drops and i i could still feel the wind up. and that is even on drag radials. i have more testing to do however - i want to put some street tires on there, and that will be the real test.

lol yeah my install took me six weeks (and a few years off my life lol) - but totally worth it! i love driving it now, even more than i did before. and i sure loved driving it before!

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So how long should this install take for a person thats very familar with these cars and have done suspension mods to these before? It's not me of course. I would like to get rid of wheelhop.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
So how long should this install take for a person thats very familar with these cars and have done suspension mods to these before? It's not me of course. I would like to get rid of wheelhop.

the pro shops that i got quotes from were about 9-10 hours labor

it is really not very difficult if you do it yourself, esp if you enjoy working on your car, mostly just time consuming. go for it and good luck!

Silverboost

Established Member
I have full length subframe connectors and H&R race springs with Nitto Nt555rII's that are bald as hell.

The worse part about the install is getting the old bushings out and then getting the new bushings shimmed properly. My biggest obstacle was that I had zero help. I got the rear end with 2 jacks by myself and put it back into the car with the 2 jacks by myself.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
the pro shops that i got quotes from were about 9-10 hours labor

it is really not very difficult if you do it yourself, esp if you enjoy working on your car, mostly just time consuming. go for it and good luck!

Cool, SFC's are first. Do most people take the whole rearend out? If so I might as well get some H&R race springs and MM caster camber plates right away.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Cool, SFC's are first. Do most people take the whole rearend out? If so I might as well get some H&R race springs and MM caster camber plates right away.

no other way to do it, really. You could do the bushings in the control arms, while the cradle is still in the car, but obviously the cradle mounts could not be changed, and they are a key piece in the puzzle. They are also the worst ones to actually remove.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
no other way to do it, really. You could do the bushings in the control arms, while the cradle is still in the car, but obviously the cradle mounts could not be changed, and they are a key piece in the puzzle. They are also the worst ones to actually remove.

K, that would be the time to completely re-do the suspension. Maybe next summer!

Teej281

Established Member
So my IRS is not in a car right now so this would be the most opportune time to install bushings, yes? Im thinking about keeping the thing out of my car incase i sell my car this summer and install it in the next car...hopefully a mach. If i dont find another car it will go in at the end of summer before mustang week.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Dreaded wheel hop has been finally terminated! After the car being down for 3 weeks to install the Full Tilt Boogie bushing kit I finally got everything back together yesterday. The car feels much more planted now and tighter. You definitely can feel the road more and I can hear the drivetrain more now, but to overcome the wheel hop has been incredible.

This is one install though I would never want to do again ever. My hands and body are so beat up that I am going to need a couple of weeks to heal.

I just love it when our customers explain exactly what I tell them our kit will do for their cars.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

KILRSVT

Established Member
Man i hear it's a pain to install but it's worth it if I had the time and money I would doit but for now it goes on my wish list mod

zacharyt1122

Established Member
I just love it when our customers explain exactly what I tell them our kit will do for their cars.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Although you never quite explain what your hands and back will feel like after :p No, I kid cuz I really want to do this mod, cuz even stock I can hop the wheels pretty easily. My problem is I dont have the mechanical skills nor a place to do the swap. Someone know a good mechanic in SE Louisiana? Someone who has done such a swap before?

oldmodman

Established Member
It is the not the first thing most owners do.
But is it the single biggest improvement you will see. By locating the rear drive assembly properly under the car, you will have handling, braking, and drag starts that are as close to designed optimum as you are going to get.

But it is a lot of work to do. I let a friend bring his Cobra over to my house to do his install. And using my car hoist, transmission jack to lower the rear end, my air tools to make the work easier, and a couple of twelve packs of my favorite brew, it still took all weekend. And I even insisted that that I pressure wash the whole thing before staring work. I hate getting my hands dirty:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread