Can you go to big when selecting a super charger?

CanIHasCobra?

Established Member
I am courious if someone can enlighten me on the proper applications and horsepower ranges of the 2.3/2.9/3.4/4.0 Whipple SC. Can you go too big when selecting a SC for a street car application? Someone give me some insight on this please. info is much appreciated!

Last edited:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Expense wise? Yes you can go too big.

Otherwise......... there is no replacement for displacement. :rockon:

Whether you use it too its full potential is up to you....

MeetMeAtThePark

Force Fed Snake
Established Member
that 2.9 will be plenty for the street, unless you want to run slicks on the street im not sure how much use you could get out of 750rwhp from the bigger ones. the 2.9 should get you well into the 600 mark with the right goodies along with it

FastNick01

Established Member
What would be the difference in selecting say a 2.3 whipple or a 3.4 whipple. Would low end torque suck for the 3.4 if left on a stock /non stroker motor.

Would there not be a good amount of boost at lower rpm's?

Silver03Termi

Established Member
u also have to consider supporting mods and ease of installation. whipple 2.3 is EASY and a lot of power. 600 whp, upper only, is very doable. ive found thats more than enough on the street. typically just blows the tires off in the first 2 gears. i can only imagine more power would just extend that spinning. when its cold out, like it is now, i spin in 4th.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
First determine your goals and then pick the blower size. It is definitely possible to select a blower that is too large for your application.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Not really any news with the 2.9 yet, were all still waiting to hear about it.

As for the 4.0, i have no idea what so ever. I havent hear anything about it, just saw it on lethals website!

2.3 will get you into the 600's on pump gas very easily, a 3.4 will of course net you more power on pump, not real sure to the limits of it without needing race gas though as I've never looked into it!

Last edited:

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Absolutely you need to pick a SC for your application (what you want to do with the car) and keep it in its efficiency range.

Hopefully the 2.9 can marry the gap between the 2.3 and the 3.4. The 3.4 is too big for most unless you want the "Yeah its a 3.4" factor. You need to spin that blower and to maximize it needs to always be running 20+ psi and to effectively do that you will need to run race gas or E85. You can run the 3.4 at lower boost but at that point you may as well just run the 2.3 unless you plan on hitting the track on a regular.

Users who are viewing this thread