Intercooler repair or option?

jcar302

Established Member
Hey guys, first i tried to search the topic, but kept getting this:
1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : intercooler

Did something stupid.
My car hasn't been run in a few months, due to a leaking oil pan.
Yesterday replaced the pan.
I had water only in the intercooler system.
Put a note on the dash, unplugged the fuel pumps and the IC pump.
What i didn't take into account was expansion.

So after doing a k drop and pan swap (mmr pan is too low for a modular fox), i drained the system after the ice melted from being in a 75 degree garage.

When i circulated the system, it lost all the coolant, but not to the floor (i have a canton in place of the battery so it's easy to see).

The rest is history, the IC under the SC is cracked at an end weld.
My buddy is taking it to his machine shop tomorrow to weld and pressure test it, but i'd like to have a back up plan.

Questions:
Possible to really repair the stock IC, or is this just a pipe dream?
If not what are my other options.
I get my ford stuff at 10% above cost locally so i think that's like 550 on it.
Use the LFP?
I've seen ads for a velocity cooler, but no hard evidence of anything and their site doesn't work right, so i'm sceptical.
Any other options out there?
I'd buy used, but since the intercooler search doesn't work, it's hard to search the for sale forum.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

Slow99x

Established Member
I thought I saw an aftermarket one on ebay a few days ago. Type in "03 Cobra" but you've gotta search through a few pages.

jcar302

Established Member
I thought I saw an aftermarket one on ebay a few days ago. Type in "03 Cobra" but you've gotta search through a few pages.

Ya, i already checked ebay, i believe the aftermarket one was the velocity intercooler.
Not enough feedback the velocity unit to purchase from a seller that i cannot return it to.

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
I just replaced mine about 6,000 miles ago; had small pin hole leak and was losing all the fluid the reservior over the course of a day. LFP offers an aftermarket solution for $600; I called them back in August and they were still in the building phase for this product. You can usually find a few new and used on eBay. I got lucky and found one for $400 new from Canada. Most Ford parts counters are going to ask between $795 to $1,000 for a new one. Check the Market for folks that are parting out their terminators.

Users who are viewing this thread