What spring rate should i get for coil overs?

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
What rides better? My car has a QA1 k member and its about to get tubular arms and coilovers.I weigh 200 if that matters. Also whats a good brand coil over kit to go with?

Thanks for the help fellas

JAY

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I have MM with sport valved shocks on all 4 corners. I love how it rides and handles. I am rocking 375 fronts and 575 rears.

alex

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I like Maximum Motorsport and Griggs stuff, it is very robust, excellent quality, and designed correctly.

I am not a fan of UPR or QA1. I view them as bargain basement products with a drag racing primary focus.

Yet that may work for your application.
I have known of three different 03/04 cars that have had durability issues with both(UPR or QA1) brands of products as related to suspension.

What is the application/usage going to be?

Last edited:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I stay away from UPR on most everything. IMO cheaper isn't better when it comes to something as important as suspension.

I've helped a friend install the MM C/O kit, it was very well put together. That would be my suggestion! :beer:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I stay away from UPR on most everything. IMO cheaper isn't better when it comes to something as important as suspension.

I've helped a friend install the MM C/O kit, it was very well put together. That would be my suggestion! :beer:

+1... I am no suspension expert that is why I have turned to the forums to pick my suspension. Made me nervous as to why a product was 25% of the cost as the big dogs (MM, Griggs, Agent 47 (10%)) Plus I love MM customer service. I have everything MM that can be bought for our suspension except the rear (thanks bruce) I am rocking rear Coil overs though.

As Jimmy said, primary mission will determine the best setup for you...

Alex

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Thanks guys! The car only gets driven about once or twice a week and its just a few miles at a time. Ill be heading to the track a few times this year also. Ive had the car since early june and i have only put about 1200 miles on it. I had upr coil overs on my turbo 01 cobra and they were complete junk IMO. I wont be getting those for sure. As for the QA1 i had it from my 01 so i figured id throw it on my 04.It probly wont be on there for ever but i already had it soooo. I just like the coil over idea because i can get my ride height exactly where i want it and then set it there instead of buying springs and not liking the height and selling them and so on. Ill eventually be getting coil overs for the rear also but not a priority right now.

So MM coil overs with a xxx spring rate? Is softer better for or worse for ruff roads?

Thanks again guys

JAY

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Thanks guys! The car only gets driven about once or twice a week and its just a few miles at a time. Ill be heading to the track a few times this year also. Ive had the car since early june and i have only put about 1200 miles on it. I had upr coil overs on my turbo 01 cobra and they were complete junk IMO. I wont be getting those for sure. As for the QA1 i had it from my 01 so i figured id throw it on my 04.It probly wont be on there for ever but i already had it soooo. I just like the coil over idea because i can get my ride height exactly where i want it and then set it there instead of buying springs and not liking the height and selling them and so on. Ill eventually be getting coil overs for the rear also but not a priority right now.

So MM coil overs with a xxx spring rate? Is softer better for or worse for ruff roads?

Thanks again guys

JAY

Well, Softer are going to be easier for rough roads, but I would select a complete package deal. Unfortunatly you cannot have your cake and eat it too. Softer spring will give you a better ride but your handling will suffer. (experts chime in if I am wrong) I would give Jason at MM a call and tell him what you are thinking about and he can point you in the right direction. This is what I did. Also, keep in mind that spring rates coenside with dampner. You shouldnt run a 575 rear with a Bilstein HD. The dampeners on the MM page will show you what thier ranges are, that is if you go with MM. Again mine are 375 front and 575 rear Bilstein Sport Valves and it rides pretty damn good and handles like is on rails! Good luck! :rockon:

Alex

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Thanks again guys

JAY

What kind of track, a drag STRIP?

If so get what ever MM recommends for that app. combined with street driving.

Users who are viewing this thread