Kenne Bell vs Whipple...

2003cobraguy

Established Member
Hey guys

the time is approaching...
i know this has probably been asked 100x before, but before i shell out a big chunk of cash i like to be very cautious in my decisions.

my goal: 650rwhp (93 octane)with room to grow
-stock motor, all supporting mods.

my options:

Kenne Bell 2.8
Whipple 2.9

What would you guys choose & why?
I hear customer service is horrible with KB, but the KB sounds aaaaaaaaamazing

im thinking both will get me the power id like.

SlowLNF

Established Member
I would go with the Whipple 2.9, Kenne Bell's customer service truely is horrid. I tried going with a 2.8 originally but I just could not deal with how bad they're service is. I would have to wait days to get calls back when I wanted the BAP I had to wait 2 weeks just for them to ship it.

I ended going with a 2.3L Whipple and am currently just a little shy of 600whp. After switch to E85 I should be upper 600'swhp and I'll have a 100 shot in the near future as well.

GodStang

Established Member
Saying Kenne Bell's Customer Service is horrible is bullshit!! You do realize they only have about 6 people working there and they have people calling all day and when you do get through to them they spend a long time on the phone helping you answering all questions. I have had 3 KB and they have always helped me and had things shipped out right away. They are very helpful and good people. I know from experience not "I heard Billy Bob say".

There is almost zero info out on the 2.9L but Whipple makes great products. So I would think this is the same. You should be happy with either. Get the one you like the looks of and the one with the right price.

650rwhp on 93 is hard to do without a happy dyno or dangerous tuning. To hit the 650 mark you usually need a lot of boost, LT, Cams, head work. So don't be disappointed if you do not hit it.

SlowLNF

Established Member
Saying Kenne Bell's Customer Service is horrible is bullshit!! You do realize they only have about 6 people working there and they have people calling all day and when you do get through to them they spend a long time on the phone helping you answering all questions. I have had 3 KB and they have always helped me and had things shipped out right away. They are very helpful and good people. I know from experience not "I heard Billy Bob say".

There is almost zero info out on the 2.9L but Whipple makes great products. So I would think this is the same. You should be happy with either. Get the one you like the looks of and the one with the right price.

650rwhp on 93 is hard to do without a happy dyno or dangerous tuning. To hit the 650 mark you usually need a lot of boost, LT, Cams, head work. So don't be disappointed if you do not hit it.

It's not bullshit from what someone else said. It's what I experienced trying to work with them. I don't care if they only have 6 people working for them, it shouldn't take 2 weeks to get a BAP in the mail, especially after telling me that they had them in stock.

I will agree that they answered all my questions when I did finally get to talk to them but that's the only good thing I had from dealing with them.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i've always had Matt answer on the first call and he's spent upwards of an hour on the phone with me on more than one occassion.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
the only kb that sounds amazing is the 2.2l which you'd have to purchase used ... my choice would be the new 2.9l whipple

04bgsnake

Established Member
I have the 2.8h not the lc and am pretty happy with it. I had no problems with KB when I called them. They answered all my questions. As Godstang said, 650 is somewhat of a lofty goal. I am sure someone on here has made it on some dyno but I cant seem to...and keep the car safe. I made 590 on one dyno and 570 on another. The car is tuned by Bob Kurgan. I am running 18lb of boost. It seems somewhat difficult to get the boost to max earlier in the rpm to get max capabilities out of these larger blowers. If I could do it all over again, I would get the 2.3 or a used kb 2.2, but that is just me. I have already switched to a return style system so I am going to e85 so that I will break that 650 goal...hopefully Good luck and you will be happy with either one, I am sure!!!!

2003cobraguy

Established Member
hmm seems a bit mixed def

the 650 is def a goal, if i dont make it it's okay

i'd like to run 17 PSI to be safe, im hoping my car is a freak. my tuner said it is 100%.

i made 480/486 on a mustang dyno
pumps & air are almost maxed, but he told me thats ridiculous for just an upper only car.

SwampMoose

Established Member
I'd go with the Whipple... you're going to make good power with both, they both don't sound like the older blowers do(2.2kb/gen 1 2.3) so that's out of it, and they both are good quality pieces. The deciding factor for me is that the Whipple looks better... it doesn't look like a shoe box.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I have a Whipple which means it's a better blower :p jk

You say "tomato", I say "toematoe". Pick your "poison!"

I will say the Whipple "looks like a blower". The KB ah.........like a "shoe box".

I have heard complaints about KB but then again others say "no problem". Never heard a bad word about Whipple.

Not sure if the new KB's still makes your car sound like there is a siren under the hood which some people are after. I prefer the "stealth, no blower here :shrug:" approach.

Avoid a polished example of either. The Whipple has a cast finned surface and should cool better. The KB has a water cooling option but that will warm your intercooler fluid more :fm: Not sure what the overall effect that will have on intake charge temperature but that will likely suck more heat up from the engine.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
You do realize they only have about 6 people working there and they have people calling all day and when you do get through to them they spend a long time on the phone helping you answering all questions.

Sounds like they need to hire more guys to man the phones then.

Just a quick KB question. I know the new 2.8 has in/out coolant lines, but does the 2.6 also come that way?

No.

01trublue cobra

Established Member

Maybe Kennebell should hire more people.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
blower

i had a kenne bell 2.2 and it was a truely amazing blower, i ran a 3inch upper and 4 lb. lower spun it max rpm's and made 605/565 on 93 that was with hooker long tubes only 1 5/8 primaries though and all supporting mods it made about 20 psi through the longtubes, i called kenne bell several times for different things and they always aswered my questions and what they said always made sense, but when i bought my whipple 3.4 i called whipple and asked about what kenne bell told me not to do with their blowers which is try to run more than 18psi on the street in fear of locking the rotors up with the added heat ,the guys at whipple disagreed, then i went to the archives and read all the stuff between dustin whipple and jim bell and everything started to make sense, these two companies have two totally different ideas of the twin screw blowers, i loved my kenne bell and i love my whipple but the whipple looks better by far and i do think the whipples run cooler, thats just my experience, its so hard to choose because they both make quality blowers and they both know what they're doin, but i would buy another whipple before i bought another kenne bell, sorry bout goin on and on :rolling: oh yea 650 will be hard to achieve without other engine mods with 17psi......E-85 might do the trick :)

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
the whipple looks better by far and i do think the whipples run cooler, thats just my experience, its so hard to choose because they both make quality blowers and they both know what they're doin, but i would buy another whipple before i bought another kenne bell, sorry bout goin on and on :rolling: oh yea 650 will be hard to achieve without other engine mods with 17psi......E-85 might do the trick :)

Man are we ever on the same page with THAT post!:rockon:

Drazga

Established Member
its like the question of what the best liter bike is (honda, kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha) theyre all great products just personal preference.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
I did the same research you did man and i chose whipple.With a gen1 2.3whipple and a tune on 18lbs of boost i make 620/589@ 6000rpms.If you get the 2.9 and some long tubes,i dont see how you couldnt make the power you want easily.My buddy has a 2.8h,built motor with custom grind cams and he makes 660...... both cars were tuned by the same guy.Also the "kenne bell blower sound" doesnt really apply for any of them but the 2.2l like the op said. Dont worry about the sound of the whipple being kinda quiet.The guys in the kb cobras wont be able to hear it over your exaust when your ahead! HAHAHAH jkjk

Easy decision if you ask me.

Last edited:

2003cobraguy

Established Member
looks like ill be going 2.9 whipple guys.

Thank you so much for your opinions on the matter. once again SVTPerformance helps me decide the direction of my baby.

Another Plus: I can order through LethalPerformance now too! Woot!

Thanks again guys

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
2.8 mammoth LC. Bigger inlet, Billet case, big bearings. Ive had a 2.6H My friend has a 2.2. I couldn't believe the power his made at 19-20# 30 rwhp more then my 2.6 at 17#. One thing I wil say about whipple is great TQ numbers with lower boost pressure. KB's look way better. All that money spent to look like an eaton and say KB looks like a shoebox!!!!!!
I have never had a problem with KB's customer service.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I have never had anything but good experiences with KB, and I love my 2.6(had it on my DD since feb 07, 28k miles worth), although 650 won't happen @ 17lbs :shrug: without a lot of other help as others have said :thumbsup:
but Whipple is a good product as well. I think it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other :-D

Users who are viewing this thread