loud high pitched chattering noise

duststang

Do U Kno The Terminator?
Established Member
there is a loud high pitched chattering noise that seems to be coming from the drivetrain. I been pondering on it for a while now, trying to figure out what it is, i dont believe its anything real bad, not yet at least. I have come to a theory that its either the flywheel hitting against something (like the dust plate) or its the pilot bearing. Either which i gonna have to take the whole drivetrain out to inspect. The noise is only there from 1000rpm to about 1700rpm. Thats why i think it has something to do with the flywheel, once it spins up fast enough the noise dissipates. It doesnt seem to effect the car in anyway except annoyance of the noise. Does anyone else have any idea what this may be? Does anyone agree with my theory so i am more sure of what im dealing with?

Digital

Established Member
there is a loud high pitched chattering noise that seems to be coming from the drivetrain. I been pondering on it for a while now, trying to figure out what it is, i dont believe its anything real bad, not yet at least. I have come to a theory that its either the flywheel hitting against something (like the dust plate) or its the pilot bearing. Either which i gonna have to take the whole drivetrain out to inspect. The noise is only there from 1000rpm to about 1700rpm. Thats why i think it has something to do with the flywheel, once it spins up fast enough the noise dissipates. It doesnt seem to effect the car in anyway except annoyance of the noise. Does anyone else have any idea what this may be? Does anyone agree with my theory so i am more sure of what im dealing with?

Seems fairly vague. Does it to it when moving only or can you replicate the problem while stationary? Does it do it when the clutch is being engaged or dis engaged? Does it do it in all gears? What mod did you do shortly before noticing the noise? If you can get a piece of pipe and listen to see where it's coming from then try to emulate some of my questions it'll give a much better base to respond to.

duststang

Do U Kno The Terminator?
Established Member
MAN! Its broke for the time being, Im sure... :(*

Well turns out it just got alot worse tonight while out cruisin. It still makes the original noise, the high pitched chattering noise. It does it in every gear between the 1000 and 1700 rpms so it doesnt matter if the clutch is engaged or not, it still does it. AND NOW after driving it tonight, i wasnt messing around, just cruising easy and then i heard a loud rattalling sound come from the drivetrain, im certain its somewhere around the flywheel. ITs loud and sounds horrible, kinda like the sound you would hear if a gear broke off in the transmission (i have done this before, therefore i know the sound), but its defiantly not the transmission or clutch. It still shifts fine and the clutch still feels normal. I had to drive it back home like that. I was hoping and wishing that maybe something was just loose and vibrating against something, like maybe it was the exhaust come loose or something, but then when i was driving it back, when i applied just a little throttle the car would sorta shudder, it didnt feel normal, now im really sad.... The terminator is not invincible. :(
So no matter what it is, im going to have to put it on the lift and take out the driveline as soon as possible to figure out what all this is. I am contemplating on maybe buying a new clutch to put in, I have read that these are the weak points on the cobras. Hmmmm, also, i havent put any mods on it since i have had it which is only like two months now. the guy that had it before me could have put a new clutch in it already and maybe did not install it properly or maybe its never been touched and now something needs to be replaced from normal wear and tear. It has 100k on it now. I hate that number on an odometer. Thanks for all and any replys guys.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
might need a new throw out bearing and a steal bearing retainer for the the trans. If your pulling the trans might as well do it.
Idk if I would say its the tb none of mine I tore up never shuttered they allways squealed & made it hard to shift but I would replace those two parts fo sho I broke my factory sleeve before

Also I would say the chatter you talk about sounds like you broke some springs on the clutch disk but it would rattle @ all speeds (or atleast mine did ) & it shifted fine too took it to the track a couple times too & held fine lmao !!

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
It kinda sounds like the retainer sleeve. When i snapped mine in half it made a wierd squealy sound but it drove normal even though i didnt drive it for long after. Time to dive on in there.

duststang

Do U Kno The Terminator?
Established Member
I dont believe its the TB, i have had a few of those go bad on my 95 mustang and its a lot quieter rattle/squeaking sound, but i do agree i should replace that part while im down there. Any brand recommended??? I used centerforce on my 95 and it has yet to give me another problem and that was like 4 years ago. The steel bearing retainer i cant think of off the top of my head unless thats the clutch fork, idk, its been a while since i been down and dirty with the drivetrain.
Anyways, going on- the second new sound (loud rattle) that sound is continuous at all times. I only drove it back home a couple of miles and thats what i noticed. The first original chattering sound is still there also, but only happens between 1000 and 1700 rpm.
The rattaling sound, since it did not stop weather it was in gear or not, moving or not, thats what makes me think its the flywheel or something to do with it, i mean its always moving right? would a broken spring on a clutch do that? Idk.... Just throwing more thoughts out there. Im probably gonna brave it and take it apart tomorrow morning, yay. Hope my buddie helps me, if not then im gonna have a rough day. ha. thanks for the help guys. anymore- just throw it out there i can always use it.

duststang

Do U Kno The Terminator?
Established Member
Found the problem with the rattling

Ok... worked on the cobra all day today. Poor beast is just sitting with its guts out of it. :( took us bout 4 hours to get the entire drivetrain out, man those top bell housing and transmission bolts are no joke. Pissed me off, how im gonna get them back in there torqued down, i have no idea. ANYWAYS, so my theory was correct. it was the flywheel, that thing was shot! It had burn marks all around it, and was wore down all the way to the rivets. Who has ever heard of the teeth ring around the flywheel coming loose because the rivets were so wore from the clutch that the rivets werent really there anymore to hold the teeth ring tight and secure. That is what the loud rattling was. Wow, i have never seen that before. I suppose it is just do for a new clutch and flywheel. Looks like the stock ones, im not sure. The clutch said value on it or something. and the flywheel, ha, so wore down that if it did have a label on it, its gone now, ha. I believe the throwout bearing had been replaced before, it said national brand on it. It was also shot. JUNK. So, i have to get a new clutch kit, and flywheel.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking maybe a centerforce clutch kit. I want a good clutch, but nothing too crazy, to burn a big hole in my wallet. Umm. the flywheel, idk yet. Recommendations? Man i really want this thing going again, only had it for little over a month. :(

Users who are viewing this thread