how do you downshift

ramstein

Established Member
It has been a while since I drove manual transmission car. i have had my cobra for about 2 weeks now and still learning how to shift effectively.I know there are two popular techniques for downshifting, the heel toe and double clutch. Heel toe is more appropriate for going around the corner. but what if you need a quick passing punch? I have not mastered heel toe yet so I have been using the double clutch method. The problem with double clutch is that when I shift from 6th into neutral and blip the throttle there is a moment before i downshift into a lower gear and rpm go down lower then they should be. So I was curious what if I press the clutch first, downshift into lower gear and then while still holding the clutch blip the throttle quickly, and then release the clutch while I'm already in the gear I need. This way I can rev match much better then double clutching.
Would this technique be safe/appropriate? Anybody does the same thing?
Also I'd like to know what is the highest speed for downshifting into 2nd. Let's say 50mph would it be too high?

Last edited:

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
you can downshift to 2nd at 50mph, though i try to do it no higher then 40 or 45. As long as you dont just try to bang it down and dump the clutch too fast you'll be fine. I usually try to let off easy when im downshifting at a high speed/rpm. maybe im just too cautious with my car haha idk

arc00ta

Established Member
What you're tryng to describe is rev-matching, which is what most people do. You don't have to be as exact with a syncronized transmission so its pretty easy. The only "wrong" way is to just select a lower gear and let the clutch out (ricer method). This slips the clutch badly and will wear it out prematurely.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
IMHO this all a big waste of time.

I just pick the correct gear for what ever I'm going to be doing next, IE: corner exit, driveway.. what ever, and I let the clutch out smoothly.

I don't need to rev match, and I don't understand why a lot of people bother with this.

I don't even do this on track. I stick it the gear I want and GO!
25K and still on the original clutch and syncros.

If I was driving a 70 BOSS 302 with a top loader or Jerico crash box, then I would worry about it and alter my methods.

If this is so you can use the down shift for engine braking... don't bother, it does practicably nothing, use the brakes.
The combination of heavy car, tiny low compression engine, and halfway decent aero means these cars don't slow much till you use the brakes.

Last edited:

svt99rag

Established Member
I have never rev-matched or double clutched, hit the gear I need and go. I am at 84k right now on stock clutch and my last one I traded in at 97K and had just changed the clutch and it had plenty of life left (had a lot of track time on stock clutch dumping at 3500+).

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm the same, put it in what gear I want to be in and go. No rocket science here, lol.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I drop and go as well. No double clutching or second thoughts. My stock clutch lasted about 58K. I got a new clutch now and finally some NT05r's and I am going to go beat the shit out of the car tomorrow!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Carefully!

Y'all have to be careful when downshifting. It's easy to go from 3rd at 100mph to 2nd instead of 4th, and that will make it fatal for your drivetrain. Remember that the rev limiter only works when the engine is controlling your speed while accelerating in a gear. But drop it into 2nd at 100mph and now it will mechanically drive it way past redline. BAM!

If you are downshifting to accelerate, that's one thing, but another thing to remember is that your brakes are designed to slow down the car, not your transmission and engine.

That being said, when I do downshift, I first pop it into neutral, let the shifter's springs center it on 3/4, then put it into my intended gear... carefully.

MGC

Established Member
Are you going to do any open tracking OP? My advice will pertain to that. These cars have enough TQ down low that you don't need to be in the 4-5000 rpm range, it'll pull through at 2500-3000 because of the blower, you might not be carrying enough speed through the corners, that was one of my problems when I began.

I simply press clutch in, select gear, rev and release clutch to make the transition as smooth as possible. On the track it helps because if you aren't braking enough or release the clutch too fast it can upset the balance of the car and spin you, especially if you release the clutch too late and while you are in the turn. My advice though is don't practice the more advanced techniques until you have the basics down. It's easier if you don't have to down shift and can simply power through the corner. Maybe this video will help:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6SsAanbqj0"]YouTube - MGC goes to RA No Music[/nomedia]

Through turn 1 I left it in 4th because I could take it at 100, turn 2 is downhill and I needed to downshift to 3rd, rev-matching the day before helped to keep trans temps down, the 2nd day I got faster and so no longer had time to rev-match, by the end of the day the trans got too hot and I couldn't put it in 3rd w/o rev matching. Just my take on it. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

greengt88

Established Member
I rev-match, i.e. -blip the gas pedal when downshifting, makes it smoother to engage. Use the brakes to stop though, clutch/engine braking is hard on components. If reg. Driving i'd say just put into gear and go no need to blip the throttle for that, but I do it if I'm going highway speed and need to downshift especially if going 6th to 4th. I do stop breifly in 5th, so I don't shock bthe driveline too hard though.

Users who are viewing this thread