KB black finish looks like crap, what to do?

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
My 2.4 looks terrible, its heavily faded. Can I paint this blower? I wasn't sure if it would impact heat transfer. I messaged mike@kb about a solution to my problem and needing new decals. He only responded about the decals. I would like to have it looking new before I put it on.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Talk to CHUY
He did something awesome to his blower. It's half paint half powdercoated if I remember.
Looks amazing!

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Not sure about painting it, I would like to know as well. My blower is scratched,etc.

Also did you call KB and told them about the stickers or...? I need some stickers too, but I posted in a thread and they never responded.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I don't think much heat is going to transfer into engine compartment air.

KBs have no ribs and the air under there is not a heck of a lot cooler than the blower is.

I doubt painting would be much of a problem, if at all.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
That is a nice polish job. Polished blowers are not for me unfortunatley. Maybe a sharpie will do the job :) I'm about 35 minutes from Philadelphia.

Not sure about painting it, I would like to know as well. My blower is scratched,etc.

Also did you call KB and told them about the stickers or...? I need some stickers too, but I posted in a thread and they never responded.

I messaged, as in private messaged, mike@kb (user name here I beleive) about it. Just give him your address in the first message.

Last edited:

724COBRA

Established Member
That is a nice polish job. Polished blowers are not for me unfortunatley. Maybe a sharpie will do the job :) I'm about 35 minutes from Philadelphia.)

Ha, use some crayons. I was going to refer you to the guys out here in Western PA who did mine if u where interested. Good luck man!

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
That does look good. Here's my problem jomo, his was taken apart and done. I don't want to send it anywhere, I'm looking for something I can do myself. The front part of my blower looks fine. It's the case that has that blued look that looks bad, here's a pic.

10061907a.jpg

Last edited:

Wayneo

Established Member
Yeah that does look pretty bad!!!!! I'd try polishing it if I where you, It will probably take a lot of hours and elbow grease but will be way worth it. Or pay somebody, its up to you... I wouldn't put that on my car the way it is either.

GodStang

Established Member
You can paint it. The amount of paint that will be on it will not effect the heat transfer enough to notice. Remember the eaton is painted. The only problem you can run into is if you use the wrong paint and it gots real hot it can cause the paint to peel.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
You can paint it. The amount of paint that will be on it will not effect the heat transfer enough to notice. Remember the eaton is painted. The only problem you can run into is if you use the wrong paint and it gots real hot it can cause the paint to peel.

If GodStang said it, it must be true. Maybe I'll do TR to match the car, or just black.

venom04svt

Established Member
I redid my old 2.2, mine was faded like that, i lightly sanded it and used an adhesive primer to promote the paint adhesion and painted it with black caliper paint. Came out gorgeous!

Quagmire

Established Member
Form an ME aspect of things, painting that blower is not going to affect the heat transfer. The blower under the hood with no forced convection means not that much heat transfer. So yes paint does effect heat transfer, from insulation and black body aspects, but no where near the variations you can sense. Plus that blower has enough thermal mass.

Users who are viewing this thread