2011 5.0 vs 03 Cobra

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
this wasn't a race, but a test drive comparison.. I took a new 5.0 GT out for a test drive about 10 miles long, (it had 156 miles on it) and had the performance package, brembo brakes, 3.73 gears etc.

Externally, it was a good looking car, but I think we've all seen enough of them to know what they look like.

Internally, it had a nice layout, the shifter was right where it needed to be, nice short throws as well (quite impressed for a stock shifter, and very smooth, definitely would be a later mod for an aftermarket shifter)

the radio was nice, but I didn't try the sync out so I'll save that for a future test.

I was very disappointed by the seats, it was like sitting on a bench seat, absolutely NO thigh or side bolster support from them.

the clutch was very light, especally compared to the Cobra clutch, guess that's why they went from a cable clutch to a hydraulic clutch.

the ride is very similar, maybe slightly harsher in the GT, but that's what you get when you have to make a solid axle car handle good..

acceleration, definitely slower than my 03 Cobra, but then I'm putting down quite a bit more power..

I was unable to use the brakes to test them out good, but I can't see them being to much different than the Cobras.. but it is hauling down more vehicle weight..

all in all, I don't think that there's any reason to trade in a good running Terminator on a 2011 GT, except if you don't like your money and want more car payments..

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Good feeback from your experience,but 2 things wrong with what you said though...

1st if that gt did have the brake upgradethe Gt should brake better it has bigger better brembo brakes offered then the regular brembo/pbr 13 inch setup on the older 94-04 cobras, the new gt and shelbys have 13-14inch brembos, the new 2011 gt's brakes are same as the brembos offered on the 1st years of 2007+ s197 shelby.and a 5.0 gt weighs about the same as a 03 cobra both weigh in around 3600lbs crub weight for coupes.

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Good feeback from your experience,but 2 things wrong with what you said though...

1st if that gt did have the brake upgradethe Gt should brake better it has bigger better brembo brakes offered then the regular brembo/pbr 13 inch setup on the older 94-04 cobras, the new gt and shelbys have 13-14inch brembos, the new 2011 gt's brakes are same as the brembos offered on the 1st years of 2007+ s197 shelby.and a 5.0 gt weighs about the same as a 03 cobra both weigh in around 3600lbs crub weight for coupes.

like I said, I was unable to use the brakes to the full extent, (canyon carving) so I can't really compare how they will hold up..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The new GT also has higher build quality and is better engineered overall. The 5.0 can also make big power as we've read in many threads here. That engine is stout. That said, IMO anyone who loves their Terminator has no big compelling reason to go with a 2011 GT. Especially if you don't like the S197 design and more prefer the New Edge, which IMO is the nicest design of them all. People have a passion for the Terminator for good reason. :)

greengt88

Established Member
i wasnt that impressed with it either. but then again it is a n/a car vs. a supercharged one. i too hated the seats, thought it was aggravating finding 1st/Rev. Hated how light the clutch was, didnt like e-brake location, hate that about all 05+ cars. basically felt like i was driving a really fast volkswagen. not enough of that raw muscle car feel. too refined. i'm used to a foxbody also.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Get it to an open track, bet it runs circles around the STOCK Term.

Without a single doubt! I altered that slightly.:-D

:lol:

MOST arent using their initial purchase of either car for open track.

I specifically bought my Cobra to open track it back in 04, it seemed like a really good idea at the time.:-D

I drove an 11 recently too.

I loved the clutch!
I loved the sound of the engine.
I liked the ride and handling a lot, though I could not really get after it, and this car did not have... the 14" BREMBOS!!:eek:

The 14 inch brake option is not a big deal for non-track type folks.
However it is a HUGE deal for tracker types because the increased rotor thickness and one inch increase in diameter does in fact make a really big difference in high speed repeated hard braking.

Keep the Terminator and just get an extra Mustang for the stable. LOL, I wish I could afford to do just that.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
You guys are missing the obvious - The back end is ASS UGLY. Did they hire some weenie from GM to design it or what? It looks like a car with terminal diarrhea. WTF.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The new Boss 5.0 is a pretty impressive car performance wise. I was watching a video where it was competing against an M3 around a race track and the Boss 5.0 lap time was .2 second behind the beemer. WOW!

Would I buy one or trade it for a Terminator? Not a chance. The Terminator certainly has it's flaws but they can be corrected. My understanding is the heads are CNC ported from the factory and the engine can spin pretty high and has the variable valve timing to fatten up the torque curve. I have a feeling that engine is near it's limit NA. I just can get past the longer wheel base S197 and it weighs almost as much as a Terminator and that's with an aluminum block and live axle. Ford has done a great job with this latest crop of Mustangs though but I'll take a modded Terminator over it any day.

............abound 40K to boot!

vivid2012

Banned
The new Boss 5.0 is a pretty impressive car performance wise. I was watching a video where it was competing against an M3 around a race track and the Boss 5.0 lap time was .2 second behind the beemer. WOW!

Would I buy one or trade it for a Terminator? Not a chance. The Terminator certainly has it's flaws but they can be corrected. My understanding is the heads are CNC ported from the factory and the engine can spin pretty high and has the variable valve timing to fatten up the torque curve. I have a feeling that engine is near it's limit NA. I just can get past the longer wheel base S197 and it weighs almost as much as a Terminator and that's with an aluminum block and live axle. Ford has done a great job with this latest crop of Mustangs though but I'll take a modded Terminator over it any day.

............abound 40K to boot!

40K to boot? not bad.

2011fiveliter

Established Member
I believe a 2012 boss 5.0 will outperform the bmw 3. That's what Ford was shooting for, and the video I saw on the Boss, it beat the BMW 3 around the track pretty bad. I seen a 2011 mustang gt run with the BMW 3, and it was only .1 slow around the coarse. And I know 2011 was no where near 40K. I don't have Brembo's and all the Bells and whistles. I paid 28k for mine back in 07/2010.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I believe a 2012 boss 5.0 will outperform the bmw 3. That's what Ford was shooting for, and the video I saw on the Boss, it beat the BMW 3 around the track pretty bad. I seen a 2011 mustang gt run with the BMW 3, and it was only .1 slow around the coarse. And I know 2011 was no where near 40K. I don't have Brembo's and all the Bells and whistles. I paid 28k for mine back in 07/2010.

That is correct, the new BOSS SMOKES the M3, it is not behind at all ever.

Carlos(racebroncoII) and his highly modded open track terminator could probably hang with a new BOSS, but not very many others.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Without a single doubt! I altered that slightly.:-D

I loved the sound of the engine.

what sound from the engine? driving it, I had to pay attention to the tach, because the engine was to quiet to shift by paying attention to the exhaust.. it DEFINITELY needs an aftermarket exhaust (the 2011 GT)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
what sound from the engine? driving it, I had to pay attention to the tach, because the engine was to quiet to shift by paying attention to the exhaust.. it DEFINITELY needs an aftermarket exhaust (the 2011 GT)

My 58 year old, rock and rolled and race car blasted ears could hear it.
They are pretty quiet but what do you expect from a stock vehicle? They all have to pass DB drive by tests.

Users who are viewing this thread