2003 Cobra with bad engine

A.T

Established Member
I had this posted on another forum and haven't any any response on value with the added info on condition.

I heard of a mineral gray 03 Cobra with a bad engine that's been sitting for 2 1/2 years and looked at it without the owner around. The body and underneath looks good. There is some pitch on the body, The top of the windshield looks wavy. The trunk lid gap isn't perfect, the driver side is a perfect fit for gap and height, the passenger side is good on the top and the gap is close above the tail light. Then theres the interior. The suede on all seats looks like it needs a heavy cleaning, with stains on the driver seat. Mold in the cup holders and on the console. Stains on the carpet, especially on the back of the console on the driver side. There was a dead mouse next to the rear speaker on the passenger side, on the rear window deck. There was also some mouse dropping inside the car. The spark plugs were on the passenger floor with the coil covers. The owner wasn't around, so I couldn't open the doors, hood or trunk. With all this info about the Cobra, what is the value of it? I'm thinking about offering $3000 max. Or maybe trade my electric green 2000 GT for the Cobra and $2,000 from the Cobra owner. My GT is in excellent condition with 96k and the Cobra has 86k.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Well, you need a lot of info on the motor, mods, trans etc. I doubt someone would let it go that cheap but it wouldn't hurt to try.

A.T

Established Member
The Cobra is stock except a catted x-pipe and Steeda cat-back. It was dynoed at 427hp. The motor overheated a ton of times. The last time it oveheated it melted 2 coils.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is it even for sale?
Have you contacted the owner?
The blown engine alone could be parted out for almost 3K so I don't think that is a realistic price for the complete car whether it has a blown motor or not.

A.T

Established Member
I've talked to the owner, he did want to trade for my GT. I just haven't heard back from him. I was talking to a guy I know that knows of the owner (because of where he works) and he said the owner seized the engine on his way to work. It's been sitting on dirt since it seized. A used engine is about $8,000 just because they sell it with the supercharger. The inspection sticker expired in 2007 and was rejected for emissions. So it's probably been sitting for 3 1/2 years. All 4 tires are flat. If I spent $8,000 for a motor, another 3 to buy it, that'll put me at 11. Seat covers is another grand if these cannot be cleaned up. Then I don't know if there is any wiring issues because of the mouse or mice inside. The carpet would probably need to be replaced. Then I also don't know how long that mouse in the back window has been dead for and if the interior smells from it. The book on the car good condition is $15,000. I'm using that as a base for the offer.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A.T., just so you know, the seat material is no longer available if you were thinking of maybe guying the material from Ford and redoing the seats. You would have to either go with aftermarket seats or buy similar material and have a shop reupholster them.

I'll bet the owner won't sell this for less than $5K, assuming the interior is as bad as it sounds. But don't be surprised if he wants more. Sometimes sellers don't know what the market price actually is. And are you sure you want to invest the time and money to bring this one back to life? If you really do have the time, you can definitely end up with a nice Terminator at a great price. Best of luck with it.

A.T

Established Member
Thanks, CobraBob. I was unaware of Ford not making seat covers anymore. Good to know. But I was looking into the aftermarket for seat covers. I was thinking the 04 Cobra style covers. When I first talked to the owner he made it sound like it has value because it's mineral gray, first year terminator, and the spoiler delete. Personally I could care less about #'s. But if I changed something that could be reinstalled that would be no problem and I would save the original. In the case of the decklid, I would get another one and put a wing/spoiler on it, leaning towards the Saleen spoiler.

Last edited:

matt87

Established Member
sounds like the guy was a dumbass and beat the snot out of that car. i bet it has more issues than just the dead engine. hows the tranny? hows the irs? how are the brakes from sitting, how bout the electrics? sounds like a money pit. you can get high mileage ones that actually run for the money you want to put into this thing.

Tkaugh29

Established Member
I'd stay away, your just asking for headaches. It sounds like it has potential for a ridiculous amount of problems. You'd be better off buying a super high milage car that is in good condition and replacing the engine or find one that was in an accident.

A.T

Established Member
I'll have to check it out again, this time with the owner around to get a better look inside and to see the condition of the interior, wires under the dash, and check the wires at the ECM. What is a good cleaning supply to clean stains off of those seats if they don't have the smell of death soaked into them?

03cobraaa

Established Member
if i were u id try to get it cheap and part it out, try to make a profit...sounds like all the money ur gonna spend to get it goin like you want it to be good n done itll be just as much if u went out and bought one that already ran...imo

A.T

Established Member
Hey 03Cobraaa, would you say the same if a reman long block can be bought for about $4,000 from Ford with a 3yr 36k? The $8,000 figure is what I'll tell the guy it'll cost for a motor.

SVTDice

Established Member
The Remanufactured is the way to go. The interior is nothing to be scared of, Use some stuff called "Tuff Stuff" For the seats, You can get it at K-Mart for 5 bucks or so. Did wonders for my stain. Seat look brand new, The carpets, Well you may need to use a steam cleaner. But I would not worry about that. The real question is, How is the body? How is everything else. If you could get some pictures or what not, I could probably help. Just make sure electronically the car is sound.

Anyways if you have any more questions let me know, I'll be checking back here.

white_gt500

Established Member
how much are you willing to spend on a cobra, my uncle owns a body shop and currently wants to sell it its a rebuilt salvage 03 black cobra with more/less 75,xxx m located in TX, pm me if you want anymore info on it

black 10th vert

Established Member
I don't know if I would buy it to repair as there are too many unknowns. At 3k (if you can even buy it at that), you can probably make a little extra cash by taking the time to part it out, and clean stuff up. I know for sure 3-3.5k would be the max I would pay for a Terminator in the condition you describe, and that would only be if the engine was still intact with all accessories, even if it's blown.

A.T

Established Member
I looked at the Cobra again today. The interior didn't smell bad. And there was dead flys inside instead of mouse droppings (couldn't tell with the doors shut). I really think the seats can be saved, but there is some wear on the suede of the front edge of the driver seat. I checked what I could with the wires under the dash and the wires at the computer, and they were good. He claimed he spent $3,000 to have the bumpers and driver side skirt repainted and a Ford dealership. The carpet is no big deal to replace. The guy wants 8 or 9k for it. Now that I've had a better look at it I'm thinking of trading my GT for it. He is up for the deal. I just want to do the research before doing the trade. I put some pics up on a photo album to get everyones opinion on it, and 1 pic of the Cobra. Atleast the interior is better than originally thought. I didn't know if the electric green GT's have value for the color. The Cobra's coolant reservoir was empty, and the crankcase was full of oil.

I saw the plaque and it was like #168 or something like that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread