How do you find out your (Used) Cobra's History?

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
Anyone know a way to find out more about where your car's been and why? I called SVT to get the build, and they can't answer my other questions....

Here's why:

When I first ran a CarFax for this car, it shows Ford kept it for the first 9 months after the build. It was registered as a "Corporate Fleet Vehicle" for that time period, and got 9K miles put on it. It then went to a dealer in Virginia (Jerry's Ford, Leesburg) who sold it to someone who lives in Clinton, MD and kept it until they sold it to the dealer I got it from. Even when I got it this past March by the way, it was completely stock- even had Ford mufflers on it....and it does not look like the blower pully or exhaust had ever been off the car.

So I am wondering, was it a test mule for Ford, did they give it to an Exec to drive, or was it a (shudder) press fleet car given to magazines?

Anyone got ideas? I have tried Emailing Ford with my VIN and have not gotten a response......no suprise there.

Maybe it was John Coletti's beater? lol......

Last edited:

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
Hmmmm.......ok. That's not what I titled this thread, but it'll work I suppose. Did I just get edited?:??:

skratpiece

Established Member
Lemme guess. Ops added "Used" in front of Cobra. Maybe being a little sarcastic at you that you think their is a way to track the history of a USED car. My Carfax listed it as a "Corporate Fleet" too. I interpret it as meaning that the car was registered to a business. I never heard of Ford holding cars til 9K miles and then sending them to a dealership. You're probably misinterpreting "Corporate Fleet" on your carfax. Nowhere on any carfax does it ever say the name of the previous owner so I don't think it would tell you even if it was Ford. It was probably owned by someone other than Ford. My opinion based on my knowledge.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I was lucky enough to track down the Original Owner of my DSG... the Cobra was from Alaska!!! I actually joined a on-line Alaska Motorsport site to help me!!!!! :)

... SVT should have told you which city the car was shipped to....From there, you could look up Ford dealership(s)! <----If they still have any records on a 8 year old car!!

...Otherwise, start with the dealer in Virginia!! GL

DRAGUL

Established Member
The car was a leased vehicle. Just like renting a car. Businesses do this all the time. Someone leased it through their company. Suspect it was used as personal vehicle. Then traded it in probably for something else. 9 months seems low for a lease agreement, so more than likely a trade for something else, person quit or the company went under. Next person who bought it was either not into modding it, or modded it and then returned it to stock when they traded it in. My suspicion is it was returned to stock.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The car was a leased vehicle. Just like renting a car. Businesses do this all the time. Someone leased it through their company. Suspect it was used as personal vehicle. Then traded it in probably for something else. 9 months seems low for a lease agreement, so more than likely a trade for something else, person quit or the company went under. Next person who bought it was either not into modding it, or modded it and then returned it to stock when they traded it in. My suspicion is it was returned to stock.

Why would you suspect it was returned to stock? :??:

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
Well, it either was modded, or wasn't.....good guess, lol. I think it wasn't, I know it was bought by some lady now in her mid-40's in '03 then it stayed right in Clinton, MD until she traded it to the dealer I bought it from. There was a CDC "styling bar" already on it, and a really faded (been there a long time) "stars & stripes" pony emblem in the grill. It came off as soon as the car got to my garage, lol. Mechanically it was all stock.

A few things I forgot to mention:

It was registered as a Corporate Fleet Vehicle in Michigan, and then on 01/11/03 it finally says "Title issued, exempt from odometer reading. Listed as manufacturer vehicle." That happened at MVA, Allen Park, MI.

On 03/21/03 it was at some dealer in New York getting what looks like a normal service done with 3737 miles on it. On 09/16/03 it went to a dealer auction in NY with 9298 miles on it, listed again as a "manufacturer vehicle," and sold to the Ford Dealer in Va.

I doubt the car was ever a rental, lol. I could be wrong, but these are the reasons I think it may have been one of the above choices. Looks to me like Ford did keep it for a while....:shrug:

Last edited:

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
And yeah, I titled this thread "Your Cobra's History" thinking it would get some looks.......within 2 MINUTES of making the post it had already been edited.......kinda petty, really........:??::poke::rolleyes:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
And yeah, I titled this thread "Your Cobra's History" thinking it would get some looks.......within 2 MINUTES of making the post it had already been edited.......kinda petty, really........:??::poke::rolleyes:

You want people posting in here about the history of their cars or do you want to be able to figure out how previously owned Cobra histories are actually discovered by other owners?

I know the whole history of my car, I bought it new.
You don't want me explaining everything that has happened to my cars history, or do you?

Would you prefer PREOWNED over USED? I can change it still.
I don't think it's petty, we need clearer thread tiles in here, so I have been editing quite a few of them.

Last edited:

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Fleet vehicle means a number of things.

It does NOT mean the car was a ford test mule. If it was you would have a cert showing that it was and would NOT be for 9k miles.

Odds are someone bought the car and registered it though their company. Nothing more.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
In any case...I hope the OP finds his answers!! :)

...I did start the seach on my TR, but with the lack of help with the NC Ford dealers, I gave up!

Users who are viewing this thread