strange problem (intermittently- cranks but no start )

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
driving back to work today, low 90's outside temperature, I had the A/C on and was reading 13.1 volts on my radar detector.. I come to a stop light and my car dies on me, and will not restart.. it cranks just fine but sits there, with traffic going around me. I wait till traffic dies down and push it to the side of the road..

try starting it again and again.. nothing.. hmmm, try the WOT trick, and it will barely fire, spinning up to about 1400 rpm for about the blink of an eye then dies again..

ok, disconnect the battery and see if resetting the computer helps (oh, no trouble codes either, I used my hand held tuner to check for them) nope, no joy after reconnecting the batter..

I wait about 3 minutes and try it again, it fires right up and idles and drives just fine.. I don't have a clue as to what the problem could be.. anyone else?

Oh, one thing more, but I don't see how this could be the cause of anything, I did see 12.6 volts earlier in the day when running the a/c (normally see about 13.8 volts in cooler weather but still don't see how that would keep the engine from not running)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Intermittent electronics failure in the FRPS?

Next time unplug it and see if it starts.

Do you keep one in the console of glove box?

I do.:beer:

7mm wrench or socket.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member

nope, but I'm going to buy one today.. thanks for the info..

Last edited by a moderator:

03' White Snake

Established Member

Thats what it sounds like to me. I keep 2 with me. 1 for me and a spare for someone else. :beer:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Well went to start her up this morning and same problem, crank but no start... disconnected the FRPS and she started right up.. reconnected it and she died so its definitely the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread