New Whipple 2.3 Setup(have some DR questions)

Venumous

Established Member
I have owned my car since 2007. Up until last week it was a pullied Eaton (non-ported) with all supporting mods. Best E.T. was an 11.85 @ 121.3mph on Nitto 555Rs. As of last week, my friend and I both installed Whipple 2.3s, Mafias, 63lb injectors, BAP (he went the twin GT pumps route). We did all of the work ourselves over the course of about 5 weekends. Dynoed tuned them in Harrisburg, PA last Thursday and I put down 601whp on 3" pulley and 93 octane, and 641whp on 2.75" pulley and 100 octane. He did about 1% less respectively. Hit the track Saturday to attempt to break my half shafts and get that over with but could only spin through 1st and 2nd (track is terrible). Best I could pull off due to letting off in first and second gear both was a 12.1 @ 129mph (93 octane tune). I was using 315 Toyo Proxes. Anyone else run them? I can't tell if they are as good as the Nittos or not. I am considering picking up some Mickey Thompson ET Streets for the track.

Davis83

Established Member
im not sure if i want a whipple or the kenne bell, what made you go with the whipple? And how is it?

Venumous

Established Member
im not sure if i want a whipple or the kenne bell, what made you go with the whipple? And how is it?

I was between the two as well. A friend of mine had purchased a used Whipple 2.3 (2nd gen) and it turned out that it needed rebuilt. He had it sent to a guy that has been doing KBs and Whipple rebuilds for several years but this was his first 2nd Gen Whipple. It broke his gear puller and he had to buy a bigger one. He said it was the most well built blower he had worked on. This happend after mine was already processing but with the results, I'm more than happy with it. The new KBs don't whine like the old ones did either. Truth be told I thought I would miss the Eaton whine. The exhaust is so loud now and sounds awesome so between that and the ridiculous power, I don't even notice that blower whine isn't really there.

Avispa

Established Member
I have close to 30,000 miles on my 2.3 Whipple; the car is my DD. The only trouble you might expect is for the drive snout oil seal to leak a bit. During the warranty period, Whipple will replace it free (send em a $300 deposit, they send you the replacement, and you get your deposit back when they receive the old drive snout).

Couldn't be happier with mine. Did 545 to the tires with the 3.5 pulley on 93 octane. Tried the 3.0 pulley recently and ran out of fuel pump at 570 to the tires (about 5700 RPM). It'll do 600 easily once I get the fuel pumps straightened out.

You will be happy with yours for a long time.

Venumous

Established Member
I have close to 30,000 miles on my 2.3 Whipple; the car is my DD. The only trouble you might expect is for the drive snout oil seal to leak a bit. During the warranty period, Whipple will replace it free (send em a $300 deposit, they send you the replacement, and you get your deposit back when they receive the old drive snout).

Couldn't be happier with mine. Did 545 to the tires with the 3.5 pulley on 93 octane. Tried the 3.0 pulley recently and ran out of fuel pump at 570 to the tires (about 5700 RPM). It'll do 600 easily once I get the fuel pumps straightened out.

You will be happy with yours for a long time.

You running a BAP? I didn't even go above 92% with the 2.75" on.

Avispa

Established Member
No BAP, running stock pumps and maxed out at around 560 rwhp. Got a custom pump setup on order from JDM Engineering that uses the stock fuel hat and two 05-09 Mustang GT pumps. Supposed to support 800 flywheel HP and can use the stock FPDM. No other mods needed.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
+1. good advice!

If he is, he has got problems.
I'm thinking no.

I love my 2.3.

If you are going to drag race with stock bushings in the IRS, you are asking for problems.

Use a bias ply slick ONLY and get the cover brace on there quick!.

greengt88

Established Member
hmmm. my stock pumps maxed out at 98% duty cycle at 480rw... we got them down to about 90% what could the problem be? timing was from 17.5 - 21.5* from 2k-6k range. A/F was 11.4-11.5 all the way across the board, so spot on there. Not sure what the deal is? Running Steeda CAI, C&L Inlet, Steig ported/welded TB/PL, 170* Thermo. AFCO H/E,60lb FRPP Inj., 2.8 upper, Bassani Catted X/CB...just removed Cats last week, so don't know where anything is at now. I also have alittle too much fuel at idle. So i'm assuming re-tune is in order.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I have owned my car since 2007. Up until last week it was a pullied Eaton (non-ported) with all supporting mods. Best E.T. was an 11.85 @ 121.3mph on Nitto 555Rs. As of last week, my friend and I both installed Whipple 2.3s, Mafias, 63lb injectors, BAP (he went the twin GT pumps route). We did all of the work ourselves over the course of about 5 weekends. Dynoed tuned them in Harrisburg, PA last Thursday and I put down 601whp on 3" pulley and 93 octane, and 641whp on 2.75" pulley and 100 octane. He did about 1% less respectively. Hit the track Saturday to attempt to break my half shafts and get that over with but could only spin through 1st and 2nd (track is terrible). Best I could pull off due to letting off in first and second gear both was a 12.1 @ 129mph (93 octane tune). I was using 315 Toyo Proxes. Anyone else run them? I can't tell if they are as good as the Nittos or not. I am considering picking up some Mickey Thompson ET Streets for the track.
I'm running a similar set up and love my whipple! Getting ready to up the boost this spring! We should get the cars out for a cruise sometime, what part of WV are you from?

specter

Formerly jfox316
Established Member
Our tuner (Dave Guy, great to deal with btw) says the stock cobra pumps and boost a pump are hard to beat...and I agree. (I'm the other guy Venumous mentioned). I did the dual GT pumps for future growth but getting in the tank is a pain in the ass unless you have a lift. And years ago when the new KB's and 140ax whipple just came out I asked some tuners which they preferred and most said the whipple (unless they were a KB dealer haha!). I'm not going to open pandoras box and start the whipple vs KB debate...I like both and honestly almost went KB anyway with this car. New is sometimes better than good (That doesn't just apply to blowers HAHA, well sort of if you get my drift ;) ).
Jon Bond is repairing the other whipple I had and said it was very well built. It had .004" runout on one of the rotor shafts which caused the bearings to wear faster (said it prob made it out of whipple that way). Another of our buddies is buying it when it's fixed! Whipple cobra's everywhere in WV.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No BAP, running stock pumps and maxed out at around 560 rwhp. Got a custom pump setup on order from JDM Engineering that uses the stock fuel hat and two 05-09 Mustang GT pumps. Supposed to support 800 flywheel HP and can use the stock FPDM. No other mods needed.

People

I would not plan on being as lucky as this guy to get 560 RWHP out of stock pumps with no BAP!!!

They usually max out close to the 500 mark.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ystem-upgrade-options-what-you-need-know.html

specter

Formerly jfox316
Established Member
I'm running a similar set up and love my whipple! Getting ready to up the boost this spring! We should get the cars out for a cruise sometime, what part of WV are you from?
Pretty sure we've been on a cruise together before, you prob don't remember though!

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Pretty sure we've been on a cruise together before, you prob don't remember though!
Are you buddys with Ted (he had/has rag top torch red 03)? I've seen a sonic blue Cobra in Motown before, did you buy it on the Mile Ground? When did we meet? Is this Jared?

We need to get together, not many Cobras locally. I have a pretty good group of guys in Cburg with Stangs, we get together fairly often but I'm the only young guy with a Terminator.

specter

Formerly jfox316
Established Member
Haha, yeah this is Jared. I'm friends with Kula. You may remember Venumous...he had a black trans am when we all went on a cruise. Let me know when you guys get together.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Haha, yeah this is Jared. I'm friends with Kula. You may remember Venumous...he had a black trans am when we all went on a cruise. Let me know when you guys get together.
How funny, small world. How is Ted I lost touch with him, does he still have his Cobra? I remember Venumous now, so I guess he broke away from the dark side of the force :poke: :) Cool, if you guys are going to go to Waynesburg PM me and let me know. I may come up if the weather holds.

It would be cool to have all three Whipped Cobras together ripping shit up:rockon:I'm gonna organize a Mountain Run when the weather finally stays nice for more than a day! I will call you guys to come down. I wanna do a 150 mile run or better and make a day of it, we could get some great photo/video opps too.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member

Is that correct? 560 without a BAP...? When I had a 2.93 at around 480rwhp seems to me I was in the 90's. I am at around 560 ish RWHP now (higher elevation and less boost) and my FPDC is 95% with the BAP.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Is that correct? 560 without a BAP...? When I had a 2.93 at around 480rwhp seems to me I was in the 90's. I am at around 560 ish RWHP now (higher elevation and less boost) and my FPDC is 95% with the BAP.

What is the max amount of power you could make with your setup? BAP, Maf and 60's

krazyazian

Established Member
To the OP, get the MT ET Streets! I fought traction issues with my 315 Nitto's running a best of 12.2's. First run on the MT's netted me an 11.94 and I know it had more because that 11 sec run was garbage. I didn't expect it to hook the way it did and subsequently, I messed up my 1-2 shift. Didn't get a chance at making another run though.

Users who are viewing this thread