Mechanical VS Electrcal

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Well I'm here pondering on what gauges I'm gonna use. I work as a Avionic Tech on aircraft and electrical components. I see many failures on the electronic side even when componets are new. On aircraft we run both analog and digital on the dash just in case the digital read outs go bad we have Our redundant analog gauges. So I wanted to apply that on my dash for the available parameters, ie: fuel pressure and oil pressure, possible coolant temp Too.Utilizing two seperate isolators under the hood that would separate the fluids from entering the cab of the vehicle. My understanding that accuracy would be far superior than your typical electrical sending units that are prone to failure. Now I would still use other electrical gauges such as aeroforce to read other values ie: tps voltage, temp, iat2 and others. Just figured I'd have a both. Am I going overkill here?

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I'm not real sure how you can isolate a mechanical gauge to keep the fluids from coming inside the cab. That is just how the gauge works, off of pressure. If i remember right, the mech. water temp uses a copper coil setup via heat transfer. I have been using a electrical water temp gauge relying on a electrical sender. I still use a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Some people are opposed to this as it can cause a mess if it was to leak inside the cab. I do use all analog readout gauges, aside from my aeroforce. The thing to consider with a digital read out is that it has to take a analog signal input and convert it to a digital output readout. This involves more electronics that are prone to going bad. We use these in my manufacturing plant and rarely have problems. But we don't have lives to consider like you do a avionics.

01Jes

Established Member
You are correct on the fluids in the cab. Mallory sells isolators that have a diaphram you could say that allows you to separate the fluid going in the cab. For instance you run fuel all the way to your isolator. There you would bleed it then on the top side of the isolator you could run a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water to the gauge in the cab. Same goes for oil pressure.

01Jes

Established Member
Go with electrical. ur insane.

Lol I know sounds like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel. Accuracy would be dead on though, if set up correctly. Of course I say this cause iv done it before on another vehicle before.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Assuming you have your fuel delivery and tune set up with a safe margin of error, a fuel gauge IMHO is a wasted slot.

I'm an open track guy and there is no function I watch closer than engine coolant temp, then I glance at oil pressure(elect) occasionally at my throttle point just after certain apexes.

I have an (mech)engine oil temp gauge I have not even installed yet, and I would also like to do a DIFF OIL temp gauge.

I am extremely unhappy with my Autometer electrical ECT gauge for two reasons:
1. It is extremely vague, not as bad as the factory unit but not a whole lot better either, I am looking at replacing it with a mechanical gauge with 5 degree increments that goes to 250F.
2. The Lunar lighting medium is about 3/4 dark. Even though I reduced the illumination voltage with a fixed and sweep restistor, it still crapped out.:bash::nonono:

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
You are correct on the fluids in the cab. Mallory sells isolators that have a diaphram you could say that allows you to separate the fluid going in the cab. For instance you run fuel all the way to your isolator. There you would bleed it then on the top side of the isolator you could run a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water to the gauge in the cab. Same goes for oil pressure.

Ok, that makes sense. I thought you was trying to keep any fluid with a mech. gauge setup out of inside the car. You may want to look into a dual Aeroforce gauge setup. One gauge will already show the factory input parameters (which is quite a bit). Then you can buy the sensors for whatever else you wanna keep a check on for the second one.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
How does the car computer pickup everything? Oh thats right its electronic. Either that or you have a little dude in your computer running things like that Men in Black mail sorter. :shrug:

01Jes

Established Member
I like the idea of 5 degree increments on a mechanical ECT gauge. As for the mechanical fuel gauge, I might debate with you on being somewhat useless so to say. For instance, if "John" has his fuel calibrated and tuned for his vehicle. Is it possible for one pump to fail and still supply the engine with enough fuel to operate. Hopefully "John" has a A/F gauge, as he would more likely see the dramatic change under WOT(lean condition). Since the demand @ idle is far less than WOT. The change in pressure at idle I think would be noticed IMHO. Hence the fuel pressure gauge. Your thoughts

BBCOBRA

Established Member
If you think about it some the old school guys used to put the mechanical gauges out on the cowl for this very reason. That's all that was available at the time and it kept the fluids out side the cabin. For a race only car, this would be an option but for a street car it look kind of tacky IMO.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I like the idea of 5 degree increments on a mechanical ECT gauge. As for the mechanical fuel gauge, I might debate with you on being somewhat useless so to say. For instance, if "John" has his fuel calibrated and tuned for his vehicle. Is it possible for one pump to fail and still supply the engine with enough fuel to operate. Hopefully "John" has a A/F gauge, as he would more likely see the dramatic change under WOT(lean condition). Since the demand @ idle is far less than WOT. The change in pressure at idle I think would be noticed IMHO. Hence the fuel pressure gauge. Your thoughts

It may be appropriate for your application, for me fuel pressure is a non issue, since I am way too busy to be able to monitor a gauge. If it goes lean I will probably feel it and pull into the pits, that's why I have fuel delivery over capacity.:beer:

WMD

Established Member
Why sir have all areospace manufactures gone to all digital glass cockpits and away from mechanical gauges? Let alone all auto manufacturers who are way more advanced than the aircraft industry.
Our new digital helicopters (S-92A and S76C++) are for more reliable than our older machines. CHC Helicopters the largest helicopter operator the world 350 machines.
20 years on mediums and heavy Sikorskys has show me that.

01Jes

Established Member
Why sir have all areospace manufactures gone to all digital glass cockpits and away from mechanical gauges? Let alone all auto manufacturers who are way more advanced than the aircraft industry.
Our new digital helicopters (S-92A and S76C++) are for more reliable than our older machines. CHC Helicopters the largest helicopter operator the world 350 machines.
20 years on mediums and heavy Sikorskys has show me that.[/

Digital cockpits are nice the aircraft can basically troubleshoot the problem for the AVI/ELE mechanic. I'm not against electrical gauges but will include some mechanical ones in my future Installations. However, if you look @ S-92A on the middle MFD (topside) in the center cockpit. You will see a mechanical Altimeter, Airspeed and Standby Compass.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I am extremely unhappy with my Autometer electrical ECT gauge for two reasons:
1. It is extremely vague, not as bad as the factory unit but not a whole lot better either, I am looking at replacing it with a mechanical gauge with 5 degree increments that goes to 250F.
2. The Lunar lighting medium is about 3/4 dark. Even though I reduced the illumination voltage with a fixed and sweep restistor, it still crapped out.:bash::nonono:

I'm using a Full Sweep Water Temp from Autometer and I find it easy to keep tabs on and usually very close to the ECT reading on my Aeroforce? :shrug:

As for lightning, I'm using a different gauge series.

Users who are viewing this thread