Opened up my Ford Racing oil filter today....

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
What is up with the strings wrapped and tied off around the filter element? I don't understand how this is not a disaster waiting to happen.

tylermay2011028.jpg

tylermay2011030.jpg

tylermay2011032.jpg

Ferrous particles that the FilterMag captured. This is 700 miles after my cam and spring install. I also have a magnetic plug that was coated with particles as well.

...and the weight that is taked about with this filter all comes from the gasket end, it is heavier than hell. Don't know if the weight of this end equates to better filtration....

tylermay2011033.jpg

Last edited:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
I was thinking it had something with assembly, to string or not to string....

I opened a Mobil 1 when I first got the cutter and did not notice a string.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
What size for what?

I got the plug on ebay, I recenty tried to buy the exact one that I have and could not find the seller. Just search for Ford magnetic oil plug. There are different strengths of the magnets and how far they protrude. Some are weak and would not buy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I never knew some manufacturers used the string. I would have thought it couldn't possibly do any good, but Jimmy pointed out that it likely speeds the assembly process. Ya learn something new every day. Interesting.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
I did not know either. Never heard of a failure or a string getting wrapped up in an water pumps impeller.

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
I did not know either. Never heard of a failure or a string getting wrapped up in an water pumps impeller.

If you have oil filter parts in the water pump you have bigger fish to fry. Getting a new oil filter will be the least of your problems.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
If you have oil filter parts in the water pump you have bigger fish to fry. Getting a new oil filter will be the least of your problems.

Exactly..or oil pump LOL ;-)

Last edited:

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
Just a thought... and it might sound a little oakie... but couldn't you stick a pretty strong magnet on the bottom of the oil filter to trap the metal particles floating around if you don't have a magnetic plug? Not doing this on mine but it popped in my head from seeing the pic of the inside of the filter housing

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
What size for what?

I got the plug on ebay, I recenty tried to buy the exact one that I have and could not find the seller. Just search for Ford magnetic oil plug. There are different strengths of the magnets and how far they protrude. Some are weak and would not buy.

If you remember the link, or what not, to the plug that would be great!:rockon:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
If you remember the link, or what not, to the plug that would be great!:rockon:

No sorry, I had to look back through 4-5 years of ebay purchases to see who sold it to me. It was an ebay store that is no longer doing business on ebay.

The FilterMag was the racing or heavy duty one in a large size. After seeing the results, I will run one on every car I own with an internal combustion engine. Results are more impressive on a DD with oil changes every 5K.

Users who are viewing this thread