Broke my 3.4L Whipple (pics)

SVTSonicCobra

Nasty Sonic Cobra
Established Member
So I went for a drive on Saturday night and I punched the gas once when I left. Everthing seemed to be fine. Then going down the road did the samething at the next light. All of a sudden while I was floored, it started to sound like marbles in a blender and kept getting louder. I was very close to may house so I made a U-turn and went home.

I took the belt off and I couldnt spin the blower. I had to grab it with two hands and use alot of force to get it turn. Then took the throttle body off and put my hand inside, nothing seemed broke but there was alot of aluminum dust all in the cusher inlet and all over my hand.... At this point I knew the blower was broke....

So yesterday I took the blower off then I took it apart. I found out that the Nub on the male rotor that sits inside a bearing case snapped off. So the sound I was hearing was the rotor smacking the case and the other rotor. The damage was bad. Both rotors are wrecked the case is scored....

I think Whipple may have a bad design and this should be a manufacturer defect. The design problem is with the nubs on the rotors. They bolt on instead of being one piece on the rotor....

I havent been able to contact Whipple today since they have been in a meeting all day.... :( I will have to try later on tonight they said....

I have had it for only two & half years with only around 6,000 miles on it

Here are some pics:

4i3d_9be_ui6v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

wrl1_92a_ui6v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

wrl1_27e_ui6v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

wrl1_cd7_ui6v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

e5l4_653_ui6v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

e5l4_b4c_ui6v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Wow...I hope they stand behind their product and help you out with most of the cost if not all.

SVTSonicCobra

Nasty Sonic Cobra
Established Member
Wow...I hope they stand behind their product and help you out with most of the cost if not all.

Yeaa a WOW! is right, They better, this should not break like this.... If they cant help then its $4000 down the drain :( Maybe time for twin turbos...

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
God this sucks! :nonono:

I hope they stand by their product.

I hope too much of that aluminum dust didn't go into your piston rings!

SVTSonicCobra

Nasty Sonic Cobra
Established Member
God this sucks! :nonono:

I hope they stand by their product.

I hope too much of that aluminum dust didn't go into your piston rings!

Me too!!

And actually it seemed like all the dust stayed in the inlet and inside the blower case... I rubbed my fingers in every intake port on the heads and there was no dust in any of them.. I think I was lucky with that part... Plus a fresh oil change will help out if any got by

SVTSonicCobra

Nasty Sonic Cobra
Established Member
So I finally spoke to Whipple and they said to send everything back to them and they will have to look at it. It is out of warranty and they will have to see why it broke and make a deal with me... I hope its going to be a great deal...

cruisemissile

Established Member
What the F***!!!! That is terrible I sure as hell hope this does
not happen to mine. Hopefully there is no engine damage
and they at LEAST help you out with the cost. Good luck.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is the first time I've heard of a Whipple going bad. Sounds like they want to work with you since it's out of warranty and they still want to check it and make you some kind of offer. I wish you the best with this. Be sure you include any important notes like how many miles are on the blower.

SVTSonicCobra

Nasty Sonic Cobra
Established Member
This is the first time I've heard of a Whipple going bad. Sounds like they want to work with you since it's out of warranty and they still want to check it and make you some kind of offer. I wish you the best with this. Be sure you include any important notes like how many miles are on the blower.

Thank you! Im hoping for the best too... I never heard of these going bad either... Guess im the first one... OOO yayy lucky me... lol

Now when I come home from work, I have to reassemble it because they want everything back together and sent back to test it all... I just hope it doesnt take weeks, I want to go to track sooo bad and I have a Ford car show on 09/11... lol

stangaholic280

Established Member
I feel for you man, trust me I've literally been there.

I really hope Whipple helps you out, but I wouldn't expect them to do it no questions asked. This same thing happened to me with my 2.8 Mammoth. Something had fallen in the bottom of the air filter (we assume) at some point during the build process. I drove it off from the shop, hit a bump less than a mile away which threw the piece up into the air flow and it was goodbye blower. KB would not cover the damage since I couldn't prove what the piece of metal was or whether it came from the blower or not. For all I know it could've been something off the blower, one of KB's tools, or one of my shops tools. :shrug: Ended up having to buy a new compressor for 2k.

My point is, Whipple is not going to just jump at the chance to send you brand new blower. They will want to investigate and get all the questions answered. I wish you the best.

28mam5.jpg

28mam4.jpg

28mam2.jpg

28mam3.jpg

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So I finally spoke to Whipple and they said to send everything back to them and they will have to look at it. It is out of warranty and they will have to see why it broke and make a deal with me... I hope its going to be a great deal...

They'll take care of you. Whipple are good peeps. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread