Considering buying a Killer Chiller...several questions need answered.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
As the title says, I'm considering buying a Killer Chiller (KC) to enhance the efficiency of the intercooler heat exchanger. From what I've read, the KC does what it's advertised to do. Typically my IAT2 temps are high enough to pull precious timing...even with a new Afco dual pass heat exchanger. My tune is set to run a max of 22.5º of total timing at WOT, and typically I might be lucky to see ~20º of total timing at WOT during "normal" race season temps....obviously this number changing in the early spring and fall when ambient temps are nice and low. However, these days are far and few between with the crazy Kansas weather that time of year. Anyhow, I'm interested in the tune (timing) running more consistant and as high as possible...the KC seems to be the way to obtain that.

My questions are these:

1: For those of you that have either first hand experience personally using, or know of someone that uses a KC, do you think it's worth the cost?

2: Is the race upgrade worth the extra money, and is it really necessary for a VERY part time drag and road race car?

3: Having cold A/C in the cab is super important to me and my passengers (3 small kids). With that said, are you happy with the performance (temps) of your A/C system is the hottest days of summer while using the KC?

4: How would you rate the difficulty of the install?

5: Is an upgraded or aftermarket engine coolant radiator a good idea when using the KC?

6: How would you rate the overall quality of the KC kit?

7: In the much cooler months of the year, can I turn the A/C off and let the Afco heat exchanger do its thing independently of the KC...or is the A/C required to be on 100% of the time no matter how cool the ambient temps are?

8: Lastly, who has the lowest prices on the KC kits?

Thanks in advance for addressing these questions. I'm not the type to pull the trigger on a purchase of this amount without some kind of feedback/info.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Considering buying a Killer Chiller...several questions need answered first

As the title says, I'm considering buying a Killer Chiller (KC) to enhance the efficiency of the intercooler heat exchanger. From what I've read, the KC does what it's advertised to do. Typically my IAT2 temps are high enough to pull precious timing...even with a new Afco dual pass heat exchanger. My tune is set to run a max of 22.5º of total timing at WOT, and typically I might be lucky to see ~20º of total timing at WOT during "normal" race season temps....obviously this number changing in the early spring and fall when ambient temps are nice and low. However, these days are far and few between with the crazy Kansas weather that time of year. Anyhow, I'm interested in the tune (timing) running more consistant and as high as possible...the KC seems to be the way to obtain that.

My questions are these:

1: For those of you that have either first hand experience personally using, or know of someone that uses a KC, do you think it's worth the cost?

2: Is the race upgrade worth the extra money, and is it really necessary for a VERY part time drag and road race car?

3: Having cold A/C in the cab is super important to me and my passengers (3 small kids). With that said, are you happy with the performance (temps) of your A/C system is the hottest days of summer while using the KC?

5: Is an upgraded or aftermarket engine coolant radiator a good idea when using the KC?

7: In the much cooler months of the year, can I turn the A/C off and let the Afco heat exchanger do its thing independently of the KC...or is the A/C required to be on 100% of the time no matter how cool the ambient temps are?

Thanks in advance for addressing these questions. I'm not the type to pull the trigger on a purchase of this amount without some kind of feedback/info.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
is my computer fuggin up....or did you really just post the same thread in two different sections of the terminator forum?

EDIT: to stay on topic...although i do not currently own a KC i have looked into them, a little. i am considering purchasing one in the future. from the reading/research i have done, the positive by far out weighs the negative...especially when it comes to feed-back on the unit from customers. there isnt a whole lot of negative stuff out there. (which is a good sign!) =]

Last edited:

BO TY KLR

Established Member

I have had mine for about 5 yrs. Works as designed for sure but I rarely use it while just driving around on street. I hardly ever abuse car on street, and the only time i got where i was using K/C was when i wanted to get ic cooler tank temp down. IE: at track, or if i knew i am going to abuse car.

Can't comment never used

My cab temps suffer if the car is heat soaked and/or cab has been cooking in sun all day. Takes a while to get ic temps down before cab air cools off. As they run in series and ic cools before cab evap. I really wish i could isolate one system from other so that i could cool cab when i/c temps aren't important too me.

Fairly easy to install. Took longer to install temp gauge than actual chiller.
I have a earlier design so had to cut and splice a/c line. understand later designs eliminate the cutting. Even easier to install

I run stock Radiator, average engine temps increase about 5-10* when running a/c-K/C

Nice quality product for sure

You can run without a/c-chiller on and intercooler system will operate as stock. Really don't need the larger aftermarket heat exchanger when running chiller as it has reverse affect in heating up cold chilled water due to warmer ambient air.

Can't answer

Last edited:

-The-Terminator

Established Member

I have had mine for about 5 yrs. Works as designed for sure but I rarely use it while just driving around on street. I hardly ever abuse car on street, and the only time i got where i was using K/C was when i wanted to get ic cooler tank temp down. IE: at track, or if i knew i am going to abuse car.

Can't comment never used

My cab temps suffer if the car is heat soaked and/or cab has been cooking in sun all day. Takes a while to get ic temps down before cab air cools off. As they run in series and ic cools before cab evap. I really wish i could isolate one system from other so that i could cool cab when i/c temps aren't important too me.

Fairly easy to install. Took longer to install temp gauge than actual chiller.
I have a earlier design so had to cut and splice a/c line. understand later designs eliminate the cutting. Even easier to install

I run stock Radiator, average engine temps increase about 5-10* when running a/c-K/C

Nice quality product for sure

You can run without a/c-chiller on and intercooler system will operate as stock. Really don't need the larger aftermarket heat exchanger when running chiller as it has reverse affect in heating up cold chilled water due to warmer ambient air.

Can't answer

good info to know...

gabe1530

Banned
get the race version, it allows you to use it without turning the AC on.
go back to your stock HE if you end up buying a KC (it will be more efficient).
great quality kit.
cabin temps suck but its a sacrifice im willing to take.
i bought mine in the market section here but you might have to buy new or look for a group buy.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
is my computer fuggin up....or did you really just post the same thread in two different sections of the terminator forum?

Yes, Merged::nonono:

I'll leave it in talk till it get's enough feed back and then it will go back to engine/tuning.

If you drag race buy the race version so you don't get tossed for dripping on the track, pretty simple decision. Doesn't really matter how much you race just if you do at all.

Once I get all of the little bugs ironed out of my DD Focus I'm installing a KC in mine. I'm also pulling the Fuel tank to make sure my PPRV delete hasn't messed up :nonono: and I will be putting in curved metal lines instead of crimp prone rubber ones where the curves are.

Last edited:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I have one. It is the second generation version. As for cabin temps, the amount of charge in the system can be adjusted to give more cooling to the KC or to the cabin.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
The race version for the Lightning let you disable in cab cooling and cool off IC fluid better. It doesn't let you run the KC without the ac compressor on. Should be the same on the cobra. Correct me if I'm wrong.

OP call Up the owner who makes the KC and he will answer all your questions. I love mine!

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Thank for the feedback, I'm VERY seriously considering buying one now! Why the two exact same posts in two different forums...well, my computer was f'ing up and I didn't think it posted, so I changed the forum and sent it again....looks like it did post.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
OP call Up the owner who makes the KC and he will answer all your questions. I love mine![/QUOTE]

I will eventually, but wanted to hear from actual users first....everything I make/sell is the best from my point of view...ya dig now?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I meant as far as how it works not how well it works. It would also clear up the race kit. I believe you had it wrong in your OP....but im speaking from the Lightning's race kit which i dont even think is released yet.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
I meant as far as how it works not how well it works. It would also clear up the race kit. I believe you had it wrong in your OP....but im speaking from the Lightning's race kit which i dont even think is released yet.

From what I gathered from reading into the race version, it allows the user to turn off the flow to the cab so there are no condensation drip falling onto the track...seems to be opperated off of a solenoid that diverts the flow somehow.

Anabolic

Banned
did you REALLY just double post the same post in the same forum?? :burn:

i'm gonna get the snow meth kit to pick up some extra hp for mine.. comes with complete kit/instructions wich is ran by MAF for 399.99 at AM

EDIT: to stay on topic...although i do not currently own a KC i have looked into them, a little. i am considering purchasing one in the future. from the reading/research i have done, the positive by far out weighs the negative...especially when it comes to feed-back on the unit from customers. there isnt a whole lot of negative stuff out there. (which is a good sign!) =]

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
did you REALLY just double post the same post in the same forum?? :burn:

i'm gonna get the snow meth kit to pick up some extra hp for mine.. comes with complete kit/instructions wich is ran by MAF for 399.99 at AM

I've been doing the meth injection thing on my turbo Buick for a while now, and was very pleased with the power results. HOWEVER, and that's a BIG however....running meth is a walk on the wild side. If the pump or anything else fails while your WOT...your motor is done if it's being run on the ragged edge that meth allows. Also, when your out of meth, your out of fun...at least with the KC, the fun never runs out unless your A/C goes titz up. Food for thought only.

Users who are viewing this thread