Power steering re-fill

69sta03cobradan

Established Member
I purchased some power steering fluid (Royal Purple Max EZ) to refill a low level reservoir. Since this is a synthetic product, does anyone know if it is compatible with the stock fluid? Please advise.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I purchased some power steering fluid (Royal Purple Max EZ) to refill a low level reservoir. Since this is a synthetic product, does anyone know if it is compatible with the stock fluid? Please advise.

You picked what I picked.

Though any Mercon/DexronIII ATF will work as well, including RP Max ATF.

Max EZ is my favorite because of it including Synerlec, which means it will protect the pump and rack better than any other available power steering fluid.

The will be no compatibility issue with any previous fluids. Synth and non synth fluids are still hydrocarbon based oils. Max EZ is made to be able to mix with the previous fluid.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
You picked what I picked.

Though any Mercon/DexronIII ATF will work as well, including RP Max ATF.

Max EZ is my favorite because of it including Synerlec, which means it will protect the pump and rack better than any other available power steering fluid.

The will be no compatibility issue with any previous fluids. Synth and non synth fluids are still hydrocarbon based oils. Max EZ is made to be able to mix with the previous fluid.

So Max EZ is the best to get as far as fluid to put in for power steering? I'm needing to refill mine and have no clue about this stuff and find it odd transmission fluid is being used for the power steering.

I just want to get a fluid that is best for my 03 Cobra and won't mess anything up.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I figured it is better than starting a new one.

watman02

Established Member
"power steering fluid" is really only used on older model stuff anymore almost all manufactures have went to using a version of ATF fluid dexIII or MERC V are the most used SP3 is pry next.
its used for its high detergent qualitys.

oldmodman

Established Member
When you switch it out there are a couple of ways to do it.
You can pull off the return line and let the pump exchange the fluid.
Or you can suck as much old fluid out of the reservoir as possible, fill it with new fluid, suck it out again, fill it again and so on until the tiny bit of old fluid is negligible.

Users who are viewing this thread