Do I need Drag Radials?

mtdubvee

Established Member
I've got a 600Hp 03 and it has 315/30/18 BFG G Force drag radials on it. The car is not my daily driver, and it only sees the street, and only on nice days.

My questions is, Im about to buy some new wheels and maybe tires, should I stick with the drag radial, or get a street tire?

I want something that hooks when I mash the gas and these do, so I'm just seeing if I should stray away from a DR, or stick with them.

Thanks
Matt

BLUESNK

SVT God
Established Member
Toyo r888 Or Mickey thompson DRs would probably be the best for you.
Those G force tires wear out too quick.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Yeah i have a lot less power than you. But i have the Toyo Proxy TQ 315 drag radials and they hook great i barely chirp second with these things.

T800

Established Member
I've got a 600Hp 03 and it has 315/30/18 BFG G Force drag radials on it. The car is not my daily driver, and it only sees the street, and only on nice days.

My questions is, Im about to buy some new wheels and maybe tires, should I stick with the drag radial, or get a street tire?

I want something that hooks when I mash the gas and these do, so I'm just seeing if I should stray away from a DR, or stick with them.

Thanks
Matt

Wow...extremely surprised that you are hooking at your power level on that tire. If it works, don't fix it.

As far as DR or not. It seems your driving habits and weather conditions would warrant a DR over a street tire. If you are having any traction issues, the R888 can't be beat in the "DR" world. There's always the M/T ET's if you want to step it up from there.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would stick with them. U can also look at the Toyo R888. Alot of people really like them.

The Toyo R888 is a top shelf, DOT R compound road racing tire with excellent tread depth so if you do get caught off guard in the rain, the car will still be drive-able. The tire carcass is more robust than a drag radial too and will handle turns better than a street tire, which handle better than a drag radial.

Straight line hook is comparable to most drag radials and the compound is very similar as well.

There are also other brands of R compound road race tires that are good choices but some do not have as deep a tread, so they may not be as effective in the rain.

Toyo Proxes R888 /thread.

Pretty much, except a lot of drag radial lovers in here just don't seem too willing to give them a try.

Toyo r888 Or Mickey thompson DRs would probably be the best for you.
Those G force tires wear out too quick.
Two very different tires for mostly street driving.

Wow...extremely surprised that you are hooking at your power level on that tire. If it works, don't fix it.

As far as DR or not. It seems your driving habits and weather conditions would warrant a DR over a street tire. If you are having any traction issues, the R888 can't be beat in the "DR" world. There's always the M/T ET's if you want to step it up from there.

Just to be clear, the R888 is not a drag radial, so it is not in "the drag radial world".
Drag radial and R compound road race tires LIKE the R888, are both however considered R compound tires. Only DR is a drag radial and an R compound road race tire most certainly is not.

these cars at 450RW need DR's!

Drs are not the only choice for improved traction on high powered cars, and certainly not the best choice. :nonono:

In fact DRs are probably the largest contributing factor to most Terminator totals, as well as most grenaded IRS components.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
I just picked up a set of ET Streets for cheap, so I'll give them a whirl. You'll need to compromise between durability and traction. I had been running Nitto 555Rs for the past few years, but they really do not provide the traction I am looking for now. The ET streets I'll be lucky to get a summer out of them, but so far they stick like no one's business.

I don't drive my car in the rain at all, so that isn't a concern for me.

mtdubvee

Established Member
Toyos

Ordered the Toyo R888's today in a 315/30/18 from tread depot. $569.00 shipped. I'm stoked cant wait to get them.

T800

Established Member
Ordered the Toyo R888's today in a 315/30/18 from tread depot. $569.00 shipped. I'm stoked cant wait to get them.

Excellent choice! You will be very pleased and surprised at the performance.

Brutal Metal

Established Member

Drs are not the only choice for improved traction on high powered cars, and certainly not the best choice. :nonono:

In fact DRs are probably the largest contributing factor to most Terminator totals, as well as most grenaded IRS components.

Sorry Jimmy I TOTALLY agree with you,mine never sees rain and is only driven a few thousand miles a year so the MT ET Street fits my needs well.
If mine was a DD seeing ocasional rain R888's would be the choice YES it would be Hell No to 555r's,NT05'Rs,BFG DR's, Hoosier etc..:nonono:
I cringe along with everyone else when I see a new thread about a DR total in the rain... So YES if your Cobra see's rain NO DR's!:beer:

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
ive heard that DR's could contrib to the IRS grenading...how about the R888's? Stiff sidewall yes?

...Ive always wanted to try the r888's. I've had ToyoTQ's (fantastic DR, great street manners and great in the rain). Now i have NT05r's (they have good street manors too but maybe not as goon in rain).

No issues *yet* with dr's and my irs, but i know it could happen....although i seldom get wheel hop and if i start to, i get out of it.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ive heard that DR's could contrib to the IRS grenading...how about the R888's? Stiff sidewall yes?

Stiff sidewall, Yes.
No, this would not be a good hard launch choice of tires for traction treated drag strip launches.

...Ive always wanted to try the r888's. I've had ToyoTQ's (fantastic DR, great street manners and great in the rain). Now i have NT05r's (they have good street manors too but maybe not as goon in rain).

No issues *yet* with dr's and my irs, but i know it could happen....although i seldom get wheel hop and if i start to, i get out of it.

Spare pair of wheels and a set of bias ply slicks are the winning set up.
Great traction and way more forgiving on the IRS.

346CamaroSS

Established Member

R888 is not a "DR" and I guarantee my hoosiers will out hook the shit out of those things.

THAT BEING SAID, 2 sets of rear wheels for me... One with street tires and one with DRs is the way to go.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
I wouldn't get the R888 for a car only used in nice weather, they don't hook nearly as good as the NT05R's I just replaced them with. R888's will do 80mph in the rain and hook good but nothing like a drag radial, and I'm not talking junk 555r's.

Users who are viewing this thread