loud whine coming from car?

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
loud whine coming from car? video inside

there is a loud whine noise coming from my car it was on the lift and the shop said it sounds like its coming from the drive shaft, the noise happens when im on the gas and when i let off it goes away anyone have a clue what this is or could be

maybe unbalanced driveshaft??

IMG 1177 - YouTube

heres the video of what it sounds like

Last edited:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Sounds like gear whine....

Lot of things you could do to help narrow it down
Noise made by the throwout bearing should be able to be "modified" by lightly resting your foot on the clutch (taking up the slack and putting pressure on the TO bearing).

Try your test on the lift in different gears. See if that changes the sound.

One would think that if you are under the car... you could narrow it down to either transmission or rear end.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
there is a loud whine noise coming from my car it was on the lift and the shop said it sounds like its coming from the drive shaft, the noise happens when im on the gas and when i let off it goes away anyone have a clue what this is or could be

maybe unbalanced driveshaft??

IMG 1177 - YouTube

heres the video of what it sounds like

What kind of shop?

Driveshafts don't whine.

Sounds like gear whine to me also, and most likely differential ring and pinion gear whine.

With the car on lift whining as loud as that is, and all the shop could come up with is "it sounds like it's coming from the drive shaft" :smmon: I recommend finding a different shop or at least finding a different tech.

It's either the diff or the trans, not the shaft. Put your head near each one and the one that is louder is it. Not that hard.:shrug::dw:

Then check to see if one or the other(diff or trans) is low on fluid.

Either way you are looking at semi major surgery IMHO.

ctgreddy

Established Member
^ x2. no reason why you shouldn't be able to tell which unit the sound is coming from, either diff or trans. i would hope it's the diff for your wallets sake, odds are if the trans has to come out it's oging to be more pricey. nows the time to throw in some 3.73's ;)

Wayneo

Established Member
If it only happens aroun 40mph and up while slightly hitting the gas pedal, its the rear. If it was the trans would more then likely do it all the time and get louder with speed

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
so its gotta be the rear end cause you put your head next to it and kinda hear it but when you go to about the middle of the driveshaft it is very loud so im thinking the noise is just traveling through the driveshaft... we are gonna change the fluid and the bearing to see if that helps... this started happening after a clutch change and the rear was leaking so we just re-sealed it so it has to be something with the rear end but idk what

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
can unbalanced tires cause damage to the driveshaft or rear end?? my rear tires i have not gotten them balanced yet as i just put them on and only drove to work and back with them on

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Unless your tires were SEVERELY unbalanced I wouldn't expect them to cause any damage. You'd really feel it if they were that unbalanced.

Wayneo

Established Member
No tires can not cause the rear to make noise. When you resealed the rear did you replace then pinion seal? If so you probably over tightened messing up the pinion preload and backlash.. Replacing the bearings will not fix a rear gear whine. The noise is caused by either worn gears or to much backlash. Most likely you just need a new ring and pinion. Inspected the bearings when it's apart to see if they are pitted but that would cause more of a groaning type noise, not a whine.. A rear whine will always travel up the driveshaft it's really easy to diagnose just put a screw driver up to the back of the diff and take a listen.

Last edited:

Wayneo

Established Member
I just watched your video, that's definetly the rear, it's shot. Get a new ring and pinion, also replace the pinion bearings and race's. while your in there might as well due the carrier bearings and race's, and if you want new clutch packs since its apart..

And I would go to another shop they should of known that was the rear without question

Last edited:

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
im gonna have to call him and tell him that thanks for the info i just dont think he wants to do the rear again or doesnt wanna make it look like its his fault or something but hopefully your right and that what it is

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
i just dont understand why its doing it now after he messed with it... the car only has 24,000 miles on it

ctgreddy

Established Member
the screwdriver acts like a stethoscope so you can more so narrow down where the noise is coming from. if he did the pinion seal and over tightned it could very easily cause some issues. now would be the time to throw a better set of gears in it if you'd like.

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
All he dd was re-seal the cover and then couple days later this noise happened so idk but it has to be something with the rear end. But after he does the fluid change and bearing if that doesn't work then I guess a new set of gears is gonna be going in To see if that helps

Wayneo

Established Member
I would just do the ring and pinion since its already going to be out there only like 175.00. You might want to be there when he takes it out since this happened right after the reseal. Make sure none if the bushings are missing and everything is tight. Sounds like he could of forgot to put fluid in it since it happened right after he worked on it, that's one of the worst/loudest rears I've ever heard so it is possible. I wonder if that's why he only wants to do the bearings? Hmmmm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread