Metco Alternator Pully has play on Alternator

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
Anyone experience play with there Metco alternator pulley being not a snug fit on the the alternator shaft and after tightened down it wobbles a lil bit up and down. I bought 2 Alt pulleys from Metco and there are both doing the same thing. I measured the Alt shaft with a micrometer and the pulley is about .006 or .007 thousands bigger than the shaft. The stock pulley is only .003 to .004 thousands and fit real snug with no play. Has anyone else experience this or did i get a bad run of some pulleys? Metco is made in the USA but there quality dosen't seem to be top notch to me.

93stang5.0

Established Member
Were these pulleys recently purchased? I received mine today and will test fit it in the next couple of days. I ordered the 3.2 about a month ago. They have been on backorder.

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
I got a 3.2 a 3.5 and they both were the same. Put it on the alternator without putting the nut on and will see that there is play and its not a snug fit. Put the stock one on and you will see that there is no play. After you put the Metco on and tighten the nut down give the pulley a good spin by hand and watch the pulley dance up and down. That is defiantly not good especially when paying for a quality item.

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
I just bought them this week. Im going to call Metco on Monday and complain but want to know who else is experiencing this.

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
I've installed a few for people & did'nt notice any problem.However,the one I used most recently was aluminum with built in spacer compared to the others being steel with a seperate spacer.
Your tensioner should absorb & compensate for it.

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
The two metco sent me were aluminum. When you purchase from companies like Metco that say there products are quality and are made in USA you expect to get a quality part where everything should fit good. The tolerances on the pulley are just too loose, we are talking .008 thousands too loose. I can deal with a couple but .008

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Dang, and I just sold my used 3.2 with spacers, in favor of a new one with the built in spacer.

LordVader04

Established Member
This has happened to me twice, and in both instances the pulley destroyed the shaft on the alternator.

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
that exactly what happened to me. It screwed up the shaft and i had to get it fixed. Lord Vader 04 were you using a Metco pulley? What did you end up doing to correct the problem?

LordVader04

Established Member
I was using the 3.2 Metco and both times that this happened it was the aluminum pulley with the separate bushing. Unfortunately the last time it happened I just said screw it and left the stock pulley on until I could find a better option, but that was a year ago LOL!

Last edited:

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
Interesting...this is the first i've heard about the play.Are the units you have had the failures on new or rebuilt? I'm wondering if the shafts are allready worn.Rebuilt units will have had the shaft resurfaced in some way. Is there another manufacturer of the 3.2 & larger pullys?

LordVader04

Established Member
Interesting...this is the first i've heard about the play.Are the units you have had the failures on new or rebuilt? I'm wondering if the shafts are allready worn.Rebuilt units will have had the shaft resurfaced in some way. Is there another manufacturer of the 3.2 & larger pullys?

That is a good point, but the first failure occurred on my cars factory alternator, and the second was with a reman. I will probably end up going to the Steeda Alt pulley, and see if that is any better:shrug:

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
Mine was on a PA Performance brand new High Output Alt. Had to send it back and pay to get another rotor/shaft installed. The stock pulley fits perfect so the Alt was not the problem. LFP also makes Alt pulleys and will have Mark Mic one of theres for me just to make sure it will be the correct fit before i buy it. Im not happy with this whole ordeal as for i spent alot of money on parts and one manufacturers part is ruining my other parts.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
My Metco 3.2 had a little bit of play back in 07?

I just centered it best I could and socked it down with an impact.

I am kind of jaded at my age especially when it comes to quality control on aftermarket hot rod parts, let's just say I pretty much assume most are going to need some tweaking, filing, sanding or grinding of some type in order to install.:nonono:

I did not measure the play but since it tightened down centered ok, I have not had any issues.

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
I've installed a few for people & did'nt notice any problem.However,the one I used most recently was aluminum with built in spacer compared to the others being steel with a seperate spacer.
Your tensioner should absorb & compensate for it.

Jamie, I assume the last one you are referring to is my alternator. Not really thrilled with it being aluminum. Hopefully someone can find out from Metco what the deal is. I think the steel ones would fair better if the were in fact too big that the softer aluminum. BTW, the alternator came yesterday. Thanks!

Warrior627

Established Member
Having the same exact problem, as I post this I'm putting on the Metco 3.20 and gonna see what happens. Im also going to post my not so good experience with Billet Tech's (MechMan) 170A alternator in a new thread. FYI the the Metco is going on a reman Ford alternator today.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I installed mine several years ago and the fit on my still original alternator was perfect and the same as the stock one. If I had experienced that amount of play, I would have bored and re-bushed it to keep it concentric, but most people can't do that, nor should you have to with a new part. Hopefully you guys are contacting Metco to let them know since there is an obvious QC problem that didn't exist on the older units like I have.

Users who are viewing this thread