315/35/17 need help

Warfish340

Established Member
Going on my 03 cobra. Ready to order but am hearing the width is all over the place. Just want the best looking doesn't have to be the widest just best overall. Had sumitomo on my Mach 1 and liked that width but grip wasn't great. Looking at Nitto 555 extreme...??

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
What do you use your car for?
What are the mods?
How long do you want the tire to last?

That being said I would stay away from the 555 unless you dd your car and are looking for a tire that get a lot of miles. Also they do not provide much grip

gmtech

Grease Monkey
Established Member
I just ordered NT05's in 315/35, not the widest overall but wider than the 555's, life will certainly be shorter though.

Avispa

Established Member
FWIW, I have Nitto NT 555s (315/35R/17) on the back. Mash the throttle at 70 in 3rd gear and they spin like tops.

Next set will be NT 05s

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
I've heard lots of good stuff about the R888's. If I ever buy a new set of tires I would get the toyo's.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I would consider the Nitto 555R DR. Its a soft compound tire that you can still run them for 10k miles easily. I run them on my car which just has a upper pulley on stock blower and they hook good. I managed to cut a 1.74 60 my first time at the track with them. I think these are great tires for weekend cars. Sure there are tires that will hook better but these will last awhile while providing good traction. Also, these will hook way better than a regular 555 just not last as long.

TXEnginerd

Established Member
For my pullied and bolt-on Cobra, I ran Kuhmo Ecsta XS in 315/35ZR17. I read a lot of negative reviews of the 555s and Nittos in general so I tried something different. I also did not want a drag radial because of the softer sidewall. The Ecsta XS is a softer compound than the 555s so they won't last quite as long but they will grip better. I would have bought them again but I'm over 600rwhp now and they weren't up to snuff for that power level. I'm running Toyo Proxes R888s now which I highly recommend for those with high power but not wanting a drag radial.

Anyway, I'm not trying to steer you away from the Nittos since I haven't tried them myself, but just letting you know my experience with something different was positive.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would consider the Nitto 555R DR. Its a soft compound tire that you can still run them for 10k miles easily. I run them on my car which just has a upper pulley on stock blower and they hook good. I managed to cut a 1.74 60 my first time at the track with them. I think these are great tires for weekend cars. Sure there are tires that will hook better but these will last awhile while providing good traction. Also, these will hook way better than a regular 555 just not last as long.

This!

People forget to put the R behind the 555 more than you would believe.

Yet the 555 and the 555R are night and day difference in grip. I do not like the 555 regular radial, that tire is more appropriate on a GT or a Taurus...IMHO.
The 555R in 315 17 is not as wide as most 315s and many have run them on stock 9" wheels with no issue. This 555R is a great tire and hooks great!

The 275 Nitto NT05 non R compound, normal street radial is what I am currently using and I love these tires! These hook good for a normal tire and the wear is reasonable considering what they have to deal with... on my car.

A Terminator deserves a decent performance tire. Nitto 555R(drag radial) or NT05(street radial) or NT05R(drag radial) or NT01R(road race R compound DOT radial)all fit that description nicely.

Woody6799

Established Member
I feel the urge to clarify my post now lol

I am going for the 555 extreme due to their longer life and decent hook, they only need to last one season on the rear on my weekend cruiser because I will be getting 10.5 in the future and will load them on with the R888's. Then I planned on taking my 555 extremes and putting them on the front.

cj428mach

Established Member

That's what I ran on my old car and just got a brand new set from American Muscle on my new car. The 555 extreme wont cut it for the rears in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread