03 remanufactured COBRA motor,What??

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
Why the fuss about "it's not an SVT engine anymore!"? :shrug: You get a built engine, it's not an SVT motor.....

BlownAway03

Established Member
I just ordered a Ford reman today. I was wondering about the internals too. Does anyone know if they are still using the exact same parts? I was thinking that since all the parts were pretty much aftermarket maybe the pistons or something may have a different supplier now. My parts guy also told me the company that rebuilds the reman engines are bored .020 over. That means the pistons should definitely be different, right?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
According to the SVT Owners Guide the pistons are "forged aluminum" ......

That they are, and made by Zollner. They are just not the best Forged piston on the planet. Diamond, CP, and others are a whole lot better. IMO Mahle is slightly better, coming between the Zollner and previously mentioned brands, but leaning closer to the Diamond and CP variety. The Zollners would have been good enough though had the PTW clearance been better. The Zollner pistons are a bit heavier than the other brands from what I take also.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I just ordered a Ford reman today. I was wondering about the internals too. Does anyone know if they are still using the exact same parts? I was thinking that since all the parts were pretty much aftermarket maybe the pistons or something may have a different supplier now. My parts guy also told me the company that rebuilds the reman engines are bored .020 over. That means the pistons should definitely be different, right?

The pistons are most likely Mahle in the remanufactured engines. Zollner is no longer around.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
From Iron Fist, Lead Foot (page 78):

"Though some larger suppliers do shy away from niche programs like SVT's Terminator, others actively participate. Karl Schmidt Unisia (KUS) supplies the automotive world with a staggering thirty-million pistons per year world-wide, but they agreed to participate in SVT's small-volume niche program and supply the Cobra's power cell assembly: pistons, connecting rings, wrist pins and rings. This meant that Manley would actually be supplying KUS with the connecting rods, which would then be incorporated into the assemblies delivered to Ford's Romeo Engine Plant."

mike302

03BLKVENM
Established Member
what is the cost of one of these engines? why would you buy one as opposed to building?

they are $3,710 shipped to your door if you send them your longblock back!

so basically they send you the new longblock and they give you 2 weeks to send them your old one to them. It's a good deal

Last edited:

BlownAway03

Established Member
what is the cost of one of these engines? why would you buy one as opposed to building?

I got mine for $3799 plus tax with my employee discount. I went this route because it's much more cost efficient than a rebuild, I didn't want the downtime involved with a rebuild, and you get a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. I also have little confidence in any of my local machine shops.

Users who are viewing this thread