2 Netgear routers vulnerable to attack

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Now that sucks! Guess it's time for a change. I've been looking at the eero whole home wi-fi system. Very highly rated and it's going to easily cover my entire house (basement, first floor and second floor).
eero Wireless-AC Dual-Band Wi-Fi Access Point (3-Pack)

We have the same Netgear Nighthawk at our church office, so I'm going to have to consider replacing that one as well. :mad:
I've had the AmplifiHD for a couple months now and it easily solved all my wifi dead spots. I'm seeing full bandwidth from my couch where before I was lucky if I saw half. I enjoy pulling down movies at 13MB/s over wifi. That's the same as the best I've seen from my hard wired desk top. If you have to use a wireless back haul it might be worth a look for you.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
What about the Netgear mesh wifi system? I forget the name but it looked promising and I was considering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What about the Netgear mesh wifi system? I forget the name but it looked promising and I was considering it.

It's called Orbi. It's not a true "mesh" system because the secondary devices all have to link to the router. More of a star configuration. It has excellent coverage, though. Claimed 4,000 sq. ft. coverage.

I just ordered the Eero for my home (3 floors including basement where the modem is. And I ordered a Netgear Orbi for my church because I wanted something better than a traditional wifi router and don't need the benefits of a true mesh setup. It's $100. cheaper than the 3-piece Eero. So I'll get to try out both. I'll try to post my review of each in this thread. I'll have both items on Tuesday and will install them Wednesday.

Anyone want to buy two Netgear Nighthawk R7000s pretty cheap?

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It's called Orbi. It's not a true "mesh" system because the secondary devices all have to link to the router. More of a star configuration. It has excellent coverage, though. Claimed 4,000 sq. ft. I just ordered the Eero for my home (3 floors including basement where the modem is. I ordered an Orbi for my church because I wanted something better than a traditional wifi router and don't need the benefits of a true mesh setup. So I'll get to try out both. I'll try to post my review of each in this thread. I'll have both items on Tuesday and will install them Wednesday.

Anyone want to buy two Netgear Nighthawk R7000s pretty cheap?

Very cool. I would like to see how it works out for you. Im in a 2 story house with a large staircase. I just have an old cheap Netgear modem/router combo that barely does the job, but I'm not sure if a single high end one would suffice which was why I'm looking at some of these multi point systems.

Preferably I would like a setup where there is enough bandwidth and speed to game and stream media from the satellite unit.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Kevin, you might be better off with the Orbi if you are looking for 2-floor coverage. It will handle 4,000 sq. ft and it's $100. cheaper than the Eero. The Eero is a true mesh system. Actually the first one. Both the Orbi and Eero are very easy to set-up. The Orbi for the office is only going to handle staff workstations (3), our iPhones, and on Sundays handle church member connections during our service. The Eero for our home will handle streaming movies from my Direct TV service, my home theater system, two MacBook Pros, my wife's iPad, two iPhones, my home office PC, and our Amazon Echo.

Here are a couple of links you might want to browse.
https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/wi-fi-mesh-compared-eero-orbi-amplifi/5/

https://eero.com/your-home

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Thanks for the links. I've read some but will look at those later. We have several laptops, phones, tablets, Roku, and a fire stick and an Xbox, but overall it shouldn't be a big demand at any given point in time. We don't have cable, we stream our TV through the Playstation Vue app.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Now that sucks! Guess it's time for a change. I've been looking at the eero whole home wi-fi system. Very highly rated and it's going to easily cover my entire house (basement, first floor and second floor).
eero Wireless-AC Dual-Band Wi-Fi Access Point (3-Pack)

We have the same Netgear Nighthawk at our church office, so I'm going to have to consider replacing that one as well. :mad:
Man that has good reviews and looks pretty cool, but damn is it expensive.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Eh, much ado about nothing. I have one and am not worried in the slightest.

An attacker would have to trick a user into visiting a website that contains the code, such as an invisible web frame, to exploit the flaw. Adding commands to the router's IP address can open up ports on the router, such as Telnet.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
This is why I use a cisco asa at home; retiring a lot of our cisco gear at work that is off smartnet/end of life.

Visited a friend's house last night. He has 5 Cisco POE APs that he got through his company for training equipment, a dedicated Cisco 3400 switch in a rack, and multicast ethernet speakers all over the house. And CAT6 in every room. It's pretty crazy.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Visited a friend's house last night. He has 5 Cisco POE APs that he got through his company for training equipment, a dedicated Cisco 3400 switch in a rack, and multicast ethernet speakers all over the house. And CAT6 in every room. It's pretty crazy.

Nice setup! We just retired some Cisco Aironet APs (POE); but they are Wireless N, so I am not interested in using those. I do love their gear, never have failures etc. I just hate paying for it; especially those damn smartnet renewals. We have all Catalyst 3750-X in our comm rack, when we start retiring those I will be bringing one home!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Was scared there for a minute. I have the one with 6 antennae so it is not part of the warning.

You're talking about the R8000, and yes it is. Says so right in the article. Which blows big chunks because I have the R8000, too!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

bglf83

Established Member
That article mentions that you can protect yourself by changing your router's IP address. That's one of the main things I do whenever I buy a new router. So my R8000 should be sort of okay. Whew!
Can also turn off web services through a command in the article. It has to be applied on reboot though.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
There was a update regarding this in my email this morning. Whatever it did, my shits fast as hell this morning.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I got that update, too. I'm pulling my R7000 out of service (going with the mesh system this morning). But at least it has the latest firmware now.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Follow-up on my new Eero router system. I installed it this morning. Install was beyond easy; completely controlled by the iPhone app. My entire home now has a powerful wifi signal. I'm really impressed so far. Streaming through Directv is smooth, too. I like that I can plug in an Ethernet cable into any of the three devices, vs. having them all plug into a router. Adds flexibility. Now my home security system (wired) can plug directly into the main floor family room Eero devise, cutting the cable length from 40' to 4'.

Brad, I tried to update the firmware on the Nighthawk R7000 this morning but I couldn't get into the Netgear page. I gave up. I followed the firmware install instructions carefully but to no avail. ???

Users who are viewing this thread