2003 COBRA - VIBRATION WHILE DRIVING ***READ***

kom

Established Member
I guess below is what you should expect from the dealer when your car has the vide problem.

Oasis #3933

SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA MAY EXHIBIT A VIBRATION WHILE DRIVING. IF THE
VIBRATION IS FELT AT 45 MPH AND INCREASES IN INTENSITY AS SPEED INCREASES,
REPLACE THE REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY (FORD PART# 241L). IF THE VIBRATION IS FELT
WHILE DRIVING AT LEAST 65MPH AND INCREASES IN INTENSITY AS SPEED INCREASES,
REPLACE THE DRIVESHAFT (FORD PART# 2R3Z-4602-BA). IF THE VIBRATION IS FELT
WHILE DRIVING AT LEAST 65 MPH AND DOES NOT INCREASE IN INTENSITY, BUT IS
CONSTANT AS SPEED INCREASES, THEN NEUTRALIZE THE EXHAUST SYSTEM AS STATED IN
THE 2003 WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 100-04.

Last edited:

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by kom
I guess below is what you should expect from the dealer when your car has the vide problem.

Oasis #3933

SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA MAY EXHIBIT A VIBRATION WHILE DRIVING. IF THE
VIBRATION IS FELT AT 45 MPH AND INCREASES IN INTENSITY AS SPEED INCREASES,
REPLACE THE REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY (FORD PART# 241L). IF THE VIBRATION IS FELT
WHILE DRIVING AT LEAST 65MPH AND INCREASES IN INTENSITY AS SPEED INCREASES,
REPLACE THE DRIVESHAFT (FORD PART# 2R3Z-4602-BA). IF THE VIBRATION IS FELT

Good to see that they are finally publicly acknowledging the vibe. However, I took mine in and the service manager noticed it, called SVT and replaced the ds.

:beer:

SonterraSVT

10thAnniversary SVT Cobra
Established Member
IF THE VIBRATION IS FELT

--------^ Whats that Procedure?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I'm wanting to know this myself! I just swapped my stock exhaust out for a Magnaflow X and C/B. I know it's not the exhaust causing the vibe!

U.M.

kom

Established Member
Per my Ford DVD, Section 100-04 deals with noise, vibration, and harshness.. Basically the procedure is to loosen all parts of the exhaust and center the system in the hangers before tightening the bolts back up. In a nut shell. If there is a need to post more specific information on this procedure I'll see what I can do...

kom

Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Meat
I'm wanting to know this myself! I just swapped my stock exhaust out for a Magnaflow X and C/B. I know it's not the exhaust causing the vibe!

U.M.

What seems to meant by "NEUTRALIZE THE EXHAUST SYSTEM" is to center the system in the hangers except for the rear most hanger. "With the exhaust system installed securely and cooled, the rear hanger should be angled forward."
So if you installed your exhaust with tension on the hangers then perhaps you should look at this.....

Cobra'03

Established Member
During my brief intelligence career, neutralize had a much different meaning, as in make something disappear. Thx, Kom - good info!

Honest Mike

Established Member
60-65MPH steering wheel vibration most times is tire balance. This is the first thing i would do to try and eliminate it. Mike

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I just had the d/s replaced by my dealer. Still has the vibe/hum at 75 mph and above. I looked under the car and noticed that the yellow dots on the d/s are not quite lined up correctly with the yellow dot on the pinion flange where the d/s bolts to the rear axle. I even unbolted it and moved it the other way, but the dots still don't line up in a straight line. Still has the vibe/hum. From what I can see, the way the d/s is assembled, the yellow dots can't line up exactly even. So now I will go back and put it back the way it was when I picked it up earlier today from the dealer.
I wonder if the front part of the d/s is supposed to be lined up with the output shaft of the transmission.? Anyone know?
Thanks

Cobra-R

Established Member
Some of you guys might want to mark your tires to check if the wheels are spinning (not literally) inside the tires. I have had it happen with both my Lightning and Cobra's. It will deffinately mess with your tire balance.
Just another thing to check. :beer:

Brian

BrianR

Mild Mannered
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
Some of you guys might want to mark your tires to check if the wheels are spinning (not literally) inside the tires. I have had it happen with both my Lightning and Cobra's. It will deffinately mess with your tire balance.
Just another thing to check. :beer:

Brian
Is this possible with the stock tires? I lit mine up last night for the first time while giving my brother a demo ride:-D. Today I noticed a vibe in the steering wheel about 55 mph, but smoothed out at 60.

Would out of balance rears cause a vibe on the steering wheel?

I was thinking it was just the patch of road I was on, but I never noticed it before.

Brian

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by BrianR
Is this possible with the stock tires? I lit mine up last night for the first time while giving my brother a demo ride:-D. Today I noticed a vibe in the steering wheel about 55 mph, but smoothed out at 60.

Would out of balance rears cause a vibe on the steering wheel?

I was thinking it was just the patch of road I was on, but I never noticed it before.

Brian

It deffinately is more of a concern on drag radials or slicks, but yes it also can happen on stock tires with good traction and ecspecially if you drop air pressure.
I am not saying it is everyones problem, but if a vibration mysteriously appears say after a trip to the track or something, you may want to have it checked out. My Lightnings tires moved about 3" on the rim at one outing at the track.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
By the way, does anyone know what the correct torque to use on the 4 bolts that hold the d/s to the rear axle pinion? Thanks

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Mike 97 SS
A rear tire out of balance will not affect steering wheel feel, only the fronts. Mike

I agree, at least until you rotate your tires. :thumbsup: :beer:

Snoker

Established Member
I was told by the Precison Shaft Technology (PST), the makers of the carbon fiber and other driveshafts, to torque driveshaft bolts to 35 to 40 pounds. Technician said however, it is not critical, but factory uses loctite on bolts and it would be a good idea to replicate that after tightening bolts.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread