2005 f150 5.4 Phaser Question

03cobraaa

Established Member
Long story short, I have a 2005 f150 fx4 5.4 that needed a whole timing set. These are all new ‘OEM’ parts from a performance shop online (new tensioners, guides, chains, phasers, bolts, VCT’s). The engine was put back together and idled for a period of time (20 min or so) and then had issues with the phasers knocking after throttle was applied. Tore the engine back down to find the new phasers had broken pins, dowels, and separated from the housing itself which caused it to move around.

After inspecting the phasers I could not locate any OEM part numbers on them like the originals. I also had to purchase 2 new OEM phasers from another provider and they did come with part numbers etched into the phaser itself.

Does this seem odd? Just trying to understand that in fact they all have etched parts numbers or that it is possible they do not all have them etched in.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Long story short, I have a 2005 f150 fx4 5.4 that needed a whole timing set. These are all new ‘OEM’ parts from a performance shop online (new tensioners, guides, chains, phasers, bolts, VCT’s). The engine was put back together and idled for a period of time (20 min or so) and then had issues with the phasers knocking after throttle was applied. Tore the engine back down to find the new phasers had broken pins, dowels, and separated from the housing itself which caused it to move around.

After inspecting the phasers I could not locate any OEM part numbers on them like the originals. I also had to purchase 2 new OEM phasers from another provider and they did come with part numbers etched into the phaser itself.

Does this seem odd? Just trying to understand that in fact they all have etched parts numbers or that it is possible they do not all have them etched in.

Were the o.e. phasers mechanically failed?
I highly recommend installing one of our camshaft phaser lockout kits.
Any 3v engine with a camshaft phaser on it should have one of these kits if it has over 70/80K on it.

03cobraaa

Established Member
Were the o.e. phasers mechanically failed?
I highly recommend installing one of our camshaft phaser lockout kits.
Any 3v engine with a camshaft phaser on it should have one of these kits if it has over 70/80K on it.

Thanks for the reply. I had a handful of issues relating to phasers, timing components and VCT's. I changed all of it with OEM parts to simply get the truck running properly again.

I considered the lockouts but wasn't able to find anyone to tune my Edge Evo and would have to get it tuned again. For simplicity I just installed new parts since the truck will be getting replaced since my job has changed.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for the reply. I had a handful of issues relating to phasers, timing components and VCT's. I changed all of it with OEM parts to simply get the truck running properly again.

I considered the lockouts but wasn't able to find anyone to tune my Edge Evo and would have to get it tuned again. For simplicity I just installed new parts since the truck will be getting replaced since my job has changed.

Thanks

our product is stackable so no reason to re tune

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks. The truck is back together to OE spec & parts and runs as it should. As I posted originally, I'm questioning the OE part numbers and would like to remedy that, not lockouts.

I understand, the reason I mentioned the lockouts is for you to attack them sooner than later. Your noise or a noise will return it is inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread