6.2 F-150 vs Ecoboost F150

19935.slow

Established Member
.5 sec improvement in the 1/4mi doesn't have anything to do with hp? :dw:

It is you who is retarded. A filter and muffler doesn't do crap on these trucks. A small turbo is 3x more restrictive than any muffler. If the time was improved it was due to driver, track/weather conditions.

Dynos don't have anything to do with the track. I didn't say it added, "this much horsepower". I said that mods were put on the truck and the e.t.s dropped.

Not to mention you are wrong, refer to my last sentence about the truck going faster with the mods. Incase you didn't know it's hot as shit in florida all year. It's 80 + as of now and it's January. God damn you are stupid.

And your restrictive arguement made no sense. When you say the stock turbo is 3x as restrictive, that means the muffler (Stock) is a restriction, which is the case here. So how would fixing a restriction in the exhaust not gain anything? Shit have you ever owned a turbo anything?

I'm going to dumb it down for you. Truck ran high 14's in hot weather. A filter and muffler were added and the truck ran low 14's in hot weather.

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Dynos don't have anything to do with the track. I didn't say it added, "this much horsepower". I said that mods were put on the truck and the e.t.s dropped.

Not to mention you are wrong, refer to my last sentence about the truck going faster with the mods. Incase you didn't know it's hot as shit in florida all year. It's 80 + as of now and it's January. God damn you are stupid.

And your restrictive arguement made no sense. When you say the stock turbo is 3x as restrictive, that means the muffler (Stock) is a restriction, which is the case here. So how would fixing a restriction in the exhaust not gain anything? Shit have you ever owned a turbo anything?

I'm going to dumb it down for you. Truck ran high 14's in hot weather. A filter and muffler were added and the truck ran low 14's in hot weather.

we aren't in smackdown so ill hold off on the insults. :rolleyes:

The ecoboost has very small turbos. The flow area through the turbine housings (2) is more of a restriction than a muffler. Thus replacing said muffler does virtually nothing. You implied that a filter and muffler change knocks off half a second. That is complete and utter :bs:

If that were true there would be many ecoboost trucks in the high 13s with CAI and exhaust since they have gone as fast as 14.5 stock. Many have these mods and none of them are in the 13s..... yet. Gains with the bullydog tune have yet to be verified.

SVTPete83

Established Member

Without knowing sixty foot times and density altitude this comment means nothing really. I have picked up time in the quarter by just driving better. What if he used tow/haul mode in one run and not the other? Did he launch in 2 or 4 wheel for both runs? Get my point. Without more facts your big factual statement of quarter mile times means nothing... That being said each motor in these trucks are awesome. Mods for mods who knows which one will be better. Who really cares?

Last edited:

19935.slow

Established Member
we aren't in smackdown so ill hold off on the insults. :rolleyes:

The ecoboost has very small turbos. The flow area through the turbine housings (2) is more of a restriction than a muffler. Thus replacing said muffler does virtually nothing. You implied that a filter and muffler change knocks off half a second. That is complete and utter :bs:

If that were true there would be many ecoboost trucks in the high 13s with CAI and exhaust since they have gone as fast as 14.5 stock. Many have these mods and none of them are in the 13s..... yet. Gains with the bullydog tune have yet to be verified.
When you say more of, you are agreeing that the muffler is a restriction none the less. Less restrictions the better, what do you not understand about that?

This truck didn't run 14.5's stock. It ran a high 14 stock. 14.6 with the muffler. 14.2 with the filter and muffler. What another truck ran, has nothing to do with this one. Just because this one knocked off half a second doesn't mean other trucks that ran faster stock should pick up half a second and run 13's. Thats racing on the internet.

Without knowing sixty foot times and density altitude this comment means nothing really. I have picked up time in the quarter by just driving better. What if he used tow/haul mode in one run and not the other? Did he launch in 2 or 4 wheel for both runs? Get my point. Without more facts your big factual statement of quarter mile times means nothing... That being said each motor in these trucks are awesome. Mods for mods who knows which one will be better. Who really cares?

I understand weather, I race my own car, and alot at that. Truck is a 2wd. He has tried tow haul and normal and it didn't make a difference. One run was on a hot muggy day, the other run was a hot muggy day, and the third run was a hot muggy day. The truck doesn't spin at the track, it ran a 14.3 a bunch of times and cut a 2.0 60' vs a 2.1 60' and ran a 14.2.

So for everyone... I'm not saying what hp it added, or why other trucks don't cut off similar e.t. with mods, I am saying what this truck did.

CanuckSnake

Established Member
ECOBOOST FTW. better mpg's and a practically indescrutable motor. I think the ecoboost also has ~14 less peak tq, but at 2k rpms lower than the 6.2L. so yeah Eboost w/ CAI and tune please.

if you havent already seen the ecoboost torture test vids on the f150, you should you tube it.

"Practically indestructible motor" Pretty bold claim for an engine thats been out a few months. You do know that so called torture test was a Ford commercial don't you?:bored:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
HAI GUYZ, DONT BYE TURDBO CARS CAUSE ITS BRAND NEW STUFF AND NOT RELIBLE

there is so much ****ing ignorance in here, for ****s sake.

Phiber Optik

Established Member
When you say more of, you are agreeing that the muffler is a restriction none the less. Less restrictions the better, what do you not understand about that?

This truck didn't run 14.5's stock. It ran a high 14 stock. 14.6 with the muffler. 14.2 with the filter and muffler. What another truck ran, has nothing to do with this one. Just because this one knocked off half a second doesn't mean other trucks that ran faster stock should pick up half a second and run 13's. Thats racing on the internet.

I understand weather, I race my own car, and alot at that. Truck is a 2wd. He has tried tow haul and normal and it didn't make a difference. One run was on a hot muggy day, the other run was a hot muggy day, and the third run was a hot muggy day. The truck doesn't spin at the track, it ran a 14.3 a bunch of times and cut a 2.0 60' vs a 2.1 60' and ran a 14.2.

So for everyone... I'm not saying what hp it added, or why other trucks don't cut off similar e.t. with mods, I am saying what this truck did.

Perhaps the muffler and filter mod added midrange power not peak power, everyone quotes peak power but racing with a stock trans your not always sitting at peak power so midrange power gains are usually more benificial.

I agree adding better flowing filter and muffler is benifical, engine is an air pump, allow the air in and out with less restriction and the air pump is more efficient, more efficient = less power lost to pumping restriction = more power to the flywheel.

Even if the turbo is the largest restriction in the exhaust, a better flowing muffler is still going to help because of the pressure differential between the hot side pipe compared to downpipe, also free-er flowing post turbo will reduce backpressure and keep EGT's down, which can lead to a colder denser intake charge which will lean out the Air/Fuel ratio which will also make more power...

Dusten

Established Member
The 365hp/420lb-ft version of the 3.5L engine thats in the trucks came out in 2011...

really? I didnt know that, considering i bought one...

The only difference in the motors, per rick @ livernois is the tune. Thus, the motor has been out about 3 years.

INVNO1

Established Member
I would take an Ecoboost mustang with the tune and downpipe all day. With the sixxer badges,wheels and all..lol

CanuckSnake

Established Member
really? I didnt know that, considering i bought one...

The only difference in the motors, per rick @ livernois is the tune. Thus, the motor has been out about 3 years.

Your correct, but my point was, don't you think that tune with the increased stress and heat thats generated from the turbos needed to get the extra power is harder on the engine(plus the extra 2000 pounds the engine has to push around compared to the Edge)? Same idea as "chipping" a diesel, you don't really want to run around on that 250hp tune all day.

Dusten

Established Member
Your correct, but my point was, don't you think that tune with the increased stress and heat thats generated from the turbos needed to get the extra power is harder on the engine(plus the extra 2000 pounds the engine has to push around compared to the Edge)? Same idea as "chipping" a diesel, you don't really want to run around on that 250hp tune all day.

I daily drove my +250 6.4L....
even ran the truck with a combined weight of truck and trailer of 19500lbs
and my truck doesn't weigh 2000 more than the taurus. The taurus is close to 4100lbs, my truck is 5600 on a bad day(5625 according to ford). Trust me, drive an ecoboost, you can tell that motor isnt working. hell peak torque is at 2500 rpm. And the extra power is cam timing(torque) not from increased boost.

*the edge is 4265*

Last edited:

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I drove both the V8 and the Ecoboost F150 before buying the Ecoboost. For me there were three deciding factors:

- Fuel mileage (obviously much better on the eco)
- Noise level inside the car (the turbo truck is *quiet*)
- Low-end torque for around-town driving

Flat out I'd agree that there's little difference between the performance of the two trucks, but I don't spend much of my time at WOT in a truck. Puttering around at 2000 RPM, the TT motor has more torque and makes zero fuss accelerating quickly; day-in and day-out that's a big plus.

And (heresy) I agree that if towing's the plan, then...
Sierra.jpg

(consistent 20.5 MPG freeway, 13-14 MPG around town)

TRXboy

Established Member
A thread arguing over what work truck would be better for drag racing. This site sucks sometimes.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I drove both the V8 and the Ecoboost F150 before buying the Ecoboost. For me there were three deciding factors:

Flat out I'd agree that there's little difference between the performance of the two trucks, but I don't spend much of my time at WOT in a truck. Puttering around at 2000 RPM, the TT motor has more torque and makes zero fuss accelerating quickly; day-in and day-out that's a big plus.

Sierra.jpg

That 20.5 mileage is great for a truck like that. I drive a 6 banger Jeep Cherokee that gets 18 highway. :nonono:

Kellyo77

keep calm and chive on!
Established Member
A thread arguing over what work truck would be better for drag racing. This site sucks sometimes.

Gotta agree man. I don't understand it. What difference does it make? It boils down to which one you want. If you want a v8 get a v8. If you want a v6 get a v6. Pretty simple.

Dusten

Established Member

Sierra.jpg

agree 100%, thats why we went with it over the 5.0

Users who are viewing this thread