All Season or Winter Tires for 2013 Shelby GT500?

Groody

I currently own an '09 Cadillac CTS-V as my daily driver (my other car being an '09 GT-R). I admit I like what I've heard about the 2013 Shelby GT500, and am actually considering selling my CTS-V and buying the 2013 Shelby GT500 as a replacement daily driver. The problem is, I live in the DC area, and would need at least all-season tires, if nothing else than for driving when temperatures dropped below 40 degrees. I imagine I would occasionally need to drive in light accumulations (<3-4 inches). I was facing the same problem with my CTS-V, but went with a set of Pirelli Sottozero 240 winter tires. Though this last winter was mild and I do not think we had snow, the Pirelli winter tires did noticeably cut down on wheel slip and did increase traction during cold days. What options could I have for the GT500? I would like to go with an all-season tire, or dedicated winter tire. Tirerack doesn't show any options for the 2013 Shelby GT500, other than OEM.

Groody

Go to the GT500 section and do a search.......plenty info there for all season tires.
I did go to the regular GT500 section and entered a search using only, "tires", as my term. Through four pages of results there wasn't any useful information, other than the possibility that Continental Conti Extremes were being used by some. I just want to make sure I can go with something for colder temperatures and the occasional light accumulation of snow. Any help would be appreciated, because if the 2013 Shelby GT500 is meant to be a fair weather car only, I would not buy it. Again, I'm considering a replacement to my CTS-V as a daily driver. Any helpful tires suggestions for all weather or winter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

ReapeR948

FOXDIE
Established Member
I did go to the regular GT500 section and entered a search using only, "tires", as my term. Through four pages of results there wasn't any useful information, other than the possibility that Continental Conti Extremes were being used by some. I just want to make sure I can go with something for colder temperatures and the occasional light accumulation of snow. Any help would be appreciated, because if the 2013 Shelby GT500 is meant to be a fair weather car only, I would not buy it. Again, I'm considering a replacement to my CTS-V as a daily driver. Any helpful tires suggestions for all weather or winter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

BLIZZAKS less :rolling: more :burnout:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I would use the GTR for the winter, AWD....must be nice to have those cars though ( honestly I would drive neither in snow or that type of weather, get a truck)

+1 on Blizzaks

TRMNTR

Established Member
snow

I would also use the GTR for the winter. All season tires plus AWD should be fine with mild winters.

I did just read that Ford says the '13 GT500 is fine in the snow with the right tires. I assume they meant dedicated snow tires. It also sounded like they recommended the regular traction lock, not the Torsen.

If you insist on driving the GT500 in the snow, I would definitely go with dedicated snow tires all around.

RocketRide03

Established Member
Ok, I know I am crazy, but I have a 2003 Mustang Cobra that I drive year round. It is the only car I have, and it is paid off, so I drive it. I use Blizzaks on Bullit wheels and it is actually pretty good in the snow. You can put weight in the back to help, but I didn't really need it. Just go slow and don't be dumb.

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
Sell the V and get a truck or SUV? Why ruin the fastest Mustang ever built?

662 horsepower + snow = unwanted situation

I mean you have a GT-R to drive when it's nice, it's not like you're driving a Corolla lol.

finsrin

Established Member
In Washington State our Winters feature snow + ice + hills.
That is time for driving either 97 Tbird or 72 F100. Have studded snow tires for both.
No way GT500 ventures out in such weather. Good time to admire it in garage w/o dents.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Like the others have said just drive the GT-R in the snow and sub 40 temps. I know Ford had there test car running around on winter tires in the Midwest so if you must drive it get a set winter tires and wheels.

03reptile

Established Member

Groody: I'm in the same DC area. I too drive my Shelby on cold, clear, and dry winter days. If weather is otherwise, out comes the trusted Fusion. I had Continental DWS's on my 2011, non-SVTPP car. I was able to get an exact match for the fronts and had to settle for a slightly narrower tire for the rears, due to unavailability in the stock tire size. The DWS's actually hooked better than the Goodyears (even with the slightly different rears) and I was over-joyed with their year round performance. I've traded my 2011 for a 2013, which in now enroute by truck and should arrive any day. I checked for the closest size availabllity for the new tire configuration of the 2013 non-PP tire for the Continental DWS's (via Tire Rack). Here's stock: 265/40/19 (F) & 285/35/20 (R). Closest choices in DWS's sizes are as follows: Front= 275/35/19, 275/40/19 or 275/45/19. Rear= 285/30/20, 295/40/20 or 315/35/20. I haven't decided yet, and will probably call Tire Rack and speak with one of their tire experts, seeking their input. They are pretty knowledgeable. I want to keep the speedo accurate, and have no rubbing issues, so my choices may be limited. We'll see what they say. Anyone else who has some expertise on this subject is welcome to chime in. I also checked the Michelin Pilot Sport/All Seasons ($$$$!!) and they don't have a match either. Couldn't find any other manufacturer who provides matching "all season" tires for the 2013, so a compromise seems to be inevitable. I will NOT drive with the stock, or any other stock, "summer only" tires during the winter months; they are too dangerous and increase stopping distances. I've got some time to make a final decision. I don't think its financially prudent to try and buy different wheels w/all seasons mounted to use during the cold months. Whatever I decide to mount will stay on year round.

Last edited:

ITLMOVE

Established Member
In Washington State our Winters feature snow + ice + hills.
That is time for driving either 97 Tbird or 72 F100. Have studded snow tires for both.
No way GT500 ventures out in such weather. Good time to admire it in garage w/o dents.

Hi finsrin. I'm also in Auburn.

To the OP. I drive my Shelby year round. I'll use the same dedicated winter tires on my '13 GT500 that I used on my '10 and '12. Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero. Fantastic traction when temps are below 40.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread