Best n/a cams? 98 cobra

nomoretickets

Established Member
as far as stock cams, 96-98 intake cams produce the best power of all stock 4v cams. as far as aftermarket goes, how much do you want to spend?

e85svt

Established Member
As far as n/a goes a good set of custom cams would be a great option. The cam shafts that are in there right now have the most duration out of all of the camshafts ford put in their 4 valves at the time( aside from the 2000 cobra r) the swirl b head on these is what is holding it back. Comp and crower would be a great option. If you're tracking the car mostly you could get away with an aggressive cam, but if you're doing most of your driving on the street then something a little less aggressive. Camshafts that make big power and don't require valve springs would be what i would go with and a set of 4.30s.

e85svt

Established Member
Why would you say this? Why not ? Comp and crower are proven to provide good gains. I know on the 03-04 c heads but not sure about these Cobras though.

there are no cams that make big power with B heads and stock springs.

Not necessarily big power but cams that make decent power without having to pay the extra money for springs. You get what I mean the best bang for your buck to do is get c heads with the stock 96-98 camshafts.

Saleen_1977

Established Member
Keeping the stock B head cams and porting the C heads would net you how much HP? Also as fas as bang for the buck, I could use all the B head valves, springs, ect on the C heads? Of course I would also need the 99-01 cobra intake?

nomoretickets

Established Member
Keeping the stock B head cams and porting the C heads would net you how much HP? Also as fas as bang for the buck, I could use all the B head valves, springs, ect on the C heads? Of course I would also need the 99-01 cobra intake?

From what I've gathered, B cams plus C heads/intake nets you about 15-20 rwhp over just the heads alone. As far as I am aware, there is nothing to prevent you swapping the B head "guts" into a bare C head along with your B cams. Unported C top end swap seems to pick up 20-30 rwhp depending on the heads. I'll let more versed individuals chime in on the porting gains, I havent dug that deep.

Saleen_1977

Established Member
Thanks nomoretickets, because this is the combo I am leaning to. I'm currently at 300Hp and 290Tq. So from what you gather it should be 300+ between 50-60Hp?

Saleen_1977

Established Member
From what I've gathered, B cams plus C heads/intake nets you about 15-20 rwhp over just the heads alone. As far as I am aware, there is nothing to prevent you swapping the B head "guts" into a bare C head along with your B cams. Unported C top end swap seems to pick up 20-30 rwhp depending on the heads. I'll let more versed individuals chime in on the porting gains, I havent dug that deep.

What about B cams on to C heads with all the guts in? Just swap cams, c head springs etc?

nomoretickets

Established Member
Thanks nomoretickets, because this is the combo I am leaning to. I'm currently at 300Hp and 290Tq. So from what you gather it should be 300+ between 50-60Hp?

Thats just from the research I did on the swap a few months ago when I thought my headgasket had gone. I have not done it, so I cant comment on what the real world results are. na_svt is the point of authority on this subject, especially if you want an intake that doesnt suck

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

there is nothing good about B heads. 96-98 Cobra intake cams though can add about 10hp to a Mach 1.

Porting adds little power.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
A c head swap with 96-98 intake cams will add about 35hp to a stock engine and a ton of midrange power.

Wile E. Coyote Jr.

This seems like an older thread but Id rather ask my question here instead of starting a new one. Can C port cams work with B port heads? Is there any gains with this, has anyone done it?

DeltaElite121

Established Member
A c head swap with 96-98 intake cams will add about 35hp to a stock engine and a ton of midrange power.

So hypothetically, are there bigger gains to a set of ported C heads combined with 96-98 cams? Or are the C heads (for 4.6 standard displacement) better off left alone?

Atx Cobra

there is nothing good about B heads. 96-98 Cobra intake cams though can add about 10hp to a Mach 1.

Porting adds little power.
Hey I’m new here and to my 98 cobra. Really want to do a n/a build and make decent power. Any advise on where to start? Car has 138,000 and I want to rebuild lower in and want cams. Any advise would be appreciated greatly

Users who are viewing this thread