Billet oil pump gears

RFM50

Established Member
Can any body tell me about what to expect in labor to swap out the oil pump gears to a set of billet gears? If I were to pull the pump how hard would it be to swap them out myself? How hard is the pump to pull? I have never had to pull an oil pump out before but I am very mechanically inclined and can do a lot myself.

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Can any body tell me about what to expect in labor to swap out the oil pump gears to a set of billet gears? If I were to pull the pump how hard would it be to swap them out myself? How hard is the pump to pull? I have never had to pull an oil pump out before but I am very mechanically inclined and can do a lot myself.

Everything on the front of the motor needs to come off. The valve covers need to come off. The balancer needs to come off.The front cover needs to come off. The timing chains need to come off.

Then you will see the oil pump on the crank snout.

Ford Service Manuals - IN-VEHICLE REPAIR

Looks like it's time consuming, but not difficult. It's on my list of things to do.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member

im pretty sure they just slide out of the oil pump once you have it removed. I have changed the oil pump gears (to billet ones) on my 04 awhile back and they werent hard to swap out at all. I dont remember exactly how to swap them out, but it was not difficult.

You will need to remove the intake, valve covers, accessory drive, dampener, timing cover, cam chains (Make sure you mark their position with a sharpie or paint pen) and then theres the oil pump.

it's a pretty involved job.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
So, to take the OP's question a step further, how much ADDITIONAL work (time and labor) if you are having an SC such as Roush installed anyway? I would think that it would be easier with the front of the car already torn apart, and it would be piece of mind with the blower . . .

RFM50

Established Member
Thanks guys for your responses. It does sound like something I could pull off and might just be something I do as I install my Paxton that I am waiting on. Sorry for the late response, I subscribed to my thread but it never notified me I had responses.

Last edited:

REPCobra10

Established Member
Do I have to get billet oil pump gears when I get my supercharger, or is it just an advisable thing to do? Will the factory-stock oil pump gears hold up? I don't drive the car everyday, nor do I beat the piss out of it too often.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
A billet gear is a great upgrade once your making high hp. Some have made 900 on a stock gear while others lost it at 500. Mine's a 3v and mine went right after I hit 708rwhp. I swapped to the Triangle Speed Shop billet gear and been great so far. It's better to replace before then after. I was lucky I didn't loose my motor. 2 Nasty Racing did a great job on it when they built it in 2010.

You will have to remove the front of the motor and loosen up your oil pan to get to the pump itself. Once you remove it, it slides in and out in seconds. Recommend to lube it before re-install though.

REPCobra10

Established Member
A billet gear is a great upgrade once your making high hp. Some have made 900 on a stock gear while others lost it at 500. Mine's a 3v and mine went right after I hit 708rwhp. I swapped to the Triangle Speed Shop billet gear and been great so far. It's better to replace before then after. I was lucky I didn't loose my motor. 2 Nasty Racing did a great job on it when they built it in 2010.

You will have to remove the front of the motor and loosen up your oil pan to get to the pump itself. Once you remove it, it slides in and out in seconds. Recommend to lube it before re-install though.

Thanks for the info, Steve!

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Do I have to get billet oil pump gears when I get my supercharger, or is it just an advisable thing to do? Will the factory-stock oil pump gears hold up? I don't drive the car everyday, nor do I beat the piss out of it too often.

Stock will be fine if you run ~8-10 psi. It's when you run a lot of boost/HP the possibility of the stock oil pump gears failing, increases.

Mine have been fine. As like Steve said, its better to replace them now then be sorry. If you plan on running a lot of boost then id get the billet gears now.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Stock will be fine if you run ~8-10 psi. It's when you run a lot of boost/HP the possibility of the stock oil pump gears failing, increases.

Mine have been fine. As like Steve said, its better to replace them now then be sorry. If you plan on running a lot of boost then id get the billet gears now.

Thanks for your info, as well. I plan to run around 9-10 psi with the Edelbrock E-Force. It's far from a daily driver, so maybe I'll be okay without changing them out?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Thanks for your info, as well. I plan to run around 9-10 psi with the Edelbrock E-Force. It's far from a daily driver, so maybe I'll be okay without changing them out?

I think you'll be ok. Kenne bell broke their stock oil pump gears at 15psi? i believe. Don't quote me on that though. It was more than 10 psi in which they broke the stock gears i know that.

alex12gt

Established Member
Im running a tvs now near 600hp and am not to worried about it but once i go forged ill do it while its out $400 for the set and peace of mind is worth it

twistedneck

Established Member
Last edited:

RFM50

Established Member

Turbo900rr

Established Member
It's not the horsepower that is being made that causes the gears to fail. It's the rpm's the motor is turning. The oil pump doesn't know if it's in a motor making 375 hp or 750 hp. It does know if the motor is spinning 7500 rpm's. So if your still running the stock rev limiter there shouldn't be a need for the billet gears on a street driven car. BUT if your at the track a lot and are seeing some high rpm's, I'm sure it would be a worthwhile upgrade. My .02

RFM50

Established Member
It's not the horsepower that is being made that causes the gears to fail. It's the rpm's the motor is turning. The oil pump doesn't know if it's in a motor making 375 hp or 750 hp. It does know if the motor is spinning 7500 rpm's. So if your still running the stock rev limiter there shouldn't be a need for the billet gears on a street driven car. BUT if your at the track a lot and are seeing some high rpm's, I'm sure it would be a worthwhile upgrade. My .02

Ok I get your point with the higher rpm but doesn't it have a lot to do with the sc causing more oil pressure and crankcase pressure? The more hp you produce the more strain it puts on everything.

Last edited:

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
There have been numerous oil pump failures on blown 5.0s across multiple forums, but this is the first thread that I've read where it was specifically stated that the risk could be mitigated by keeping it under a certain HP or RPM number. Would be nice to get confirmation of this . . . or at least some anecdotal evidence.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
It doesn't make sense that it would blow under a power level vs an Rpm. What actually fails, the gears break? And why is oil pressure being jacked up for a blower. Blow by? Then why not run a breather setup off the valve covers? I say RPM, not boost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread