car shakes at 50-60 mph

toro1966

Toro 66
Established Member
No fix - it's normal.......BS!!!

Well, I just back from the dealer and needless to say I am pissed!!!!! After having the car all day they finally come up with one of those "its normal" lines. Basically on all of the verts there may be shimmy at "cruising speeds" which they say are 45-65mph. They even showed me the printed out tech bulletin from Ford. Sure enough that is what it says. The only potential way to solve it - says the tech bulletin - is to force ballance the tires. For those of you who don't knwo what that is (I didn't know until today), it is putting them on a special balancing machine that compresses the tire agaisnt simulated asphalt while the tire is being balanced. This measures the high and low spots of the tire and then the tire is dismounted and physically turned on the rim to make it right. They don't say it will fix the problem ,only that it COULD fix the problem. It costs almost 200 bucks to have that done and guess what...it's not covered under warranty!! So needless to say I am very pissed off. I am not paying 200, non-refundable bucks, for something that might fix a problem. No more Ford's for me, I am done!

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
That sux.. for what's it's worth, my car rode perfect until a few weeks back when I had a nail patched in my front-drivers side tire. The shop also took it upon themselves to rotate my tires.. now around 45mph, I have a little shake in my steering wheel. I haven't gone back yet, but I'm fairly certain having the tires rebalanced again will solve the issue, as it has worked on other cars I've owned. I suggest you do that also -the regular ol' balancing routine-, and maybe even rotate the the back tires to the front. There is the potential that a wheel allignment could be needed, but I believe this really is a balancing issue.

Last edited:

toro1966

Toro 66
Established Member
Yeah,
I am taking it in to have it aligned on Saturday morning. Then I am going to have the tires rebalanced next week and rotated. I got them at Costco so they do them for free. What pisses me off the most is that they must have had some yahoo driving the car because now I have the shake when I hit the brakes. I KNOW that is rotor warp, what pisses me off is that it wasn't there when I brought it in!! So that's another project to tack this weekend! I am not even bringing it anywhere near that shop again!

sabredog

Established Member
toro that really sucks.it's normal to have a viberation on a convertible.what kind of service bulletin is that.i work at a honda dealer and we could never get away with that.our total satisfaction index would be in the toilet.i used our force balancing machine twice on my car and it did not help.it found 2 bad tires, i replaced them, force balanced them and still have that frickin' vibe.maybe someone else on the forum has had better luck with this problem.they made enough verts that maybe someone knows something.

toro1966

Toro 66
Established Member
I sure hope so. I am just pissed right now. Don't get me wrong, I love my car. But I shouldn't have to live with having the steering wheel shake at normal driving speeds! I'll keep you posted if I find anything that fixes it. Great idea on finding out what other people have done or if they have the problem. I am sure with so much expertise on here we can ahopefully get some resolution.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I have a low speed moan and a 40 mph shake that I think was caused by either hitting a pothole or by having the belts on that tire come apart at high speed the week after that. I was thinking wheel bearing or brakes but you guys [especially John] have given me other things to think about. I'll have to pull the wheel and examine the brakes again. If they are OK, it's time to look further into the bearing or caster camber plates/bushings. John, if you're reading this, what do you suggest?

To the guy with the vibration after rotating wheels/tires: You could also have a bent rim that was once on the rear and is now on the front. It's harder to feel a bent rim on the rear but once on the front, it's very noticeable because of the steering wheel shaking. Just something else to check.

Toro1966-That's BS that Ford blows off the vibration on your vert and calls it normal. That's their answer to anything that isn't easy and cheap to fix.

Last edited:

FL04SVT

Established Member
I have a 04 vert 15k miles with a front end shake at 58-62 mph. My car does not do it all the time just certain roads. When I go over a set of rail road tracks the front end shakes and feels loose. I had my F1 tires balanced and its still the same. My buddy has all of his truck tires speed balanced at a frame shop. He said the tire is balanced with the rim still on the car. So maybe the rotors are not balanced. A speed balance would cure this. I will have mine done next week and post results....

toro1966

Toro 66
Established Member
Well I balanced and rotated the tires again and aligned it and she is better than before. Still has the slight shimmy around 43-48 mph but as FL04SVT says, it is only on certain roads Overall 100 percent improvement after the alignment and rebalancing. That said, I think my mind is made up - and I will probably get flamed for this - I think I am going to sell her and go out and get a new c6 z06.

sabredog

Established Member
i have noticed the shake at different times also.i have had sumitomo tires on frt,directional,and i have also had my bfg's.if any other members have had an issue please chime in.thanks

levs302

Established Member
my car used to shake from 45-55. had the wheels re-balenced and it cleared it up. although a very slight shimy at 48-50. however, if i am stopping, just before the front wheels come to a complete stop, they shake. anyone ever see this or know the cause?

vipergts281

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
nobody gets to complain if they still have the eagle f1 tires on the car. new cars come with throw-away tires. fill them with dirt and use them as planters or have them ground into playground mulch.
:lol:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
nice to hear others having similar issue

nice to see others having similar issue I was thinking that my steering rack was loose or my wheel bearings were going.

I have an off and on vibration between 58-62 mph also. I think it has to do with heat (the more my car warms up it seems to go away) so it could very well be tires.

it has happened for a long time now, both when I had Kumho's and now with my eagle's. I know the eagles are not good for ride comfort so I will chock it up to that.

it may just be normal, no one said these cars are perfect.......
they just said they were F***kin FAST!!

huben94

Established Member
My car has the same problem at 60-65. Tires balanced three times, twice at Costco and one a Dealer (force bal). Still same issue with new KDW's. I had a 94 that rode smoother and it had 140k miles on it. Any specialty shops able/willing to diagnose?

whiplash306

Established Member
Oh boy....this SUCKS! I just bought my '04 conv Cobra and she shimmies ever so slightly between 55 and 60 mph...I feel it in the steering wheel and notice it when looking in the rear view mirrors. However, like 87whitevert said, it seems to get better as the car warms up. I have NO moaning or whining, the car brakes extremely smooth, etc, etc. I thought it was just the balance of the wheels/tires. Guess I'll go have 'em rotated/balanced this upcoming weekend and see if it makes a difference...if not, I'll keep my eyes on this thread for further advice! Thanks guys...

03snkvert

Established Member
Same Problem

I have the same problem but usually notice it is on the asphalt when it shimmys but on concrete it is smooth. I just figured it could be in the handling of the car. Wath an indycar or formula one car it you will see any conditions on the road transfer to the steering.

Corey

Users who are viewing this thread