Clogged cats- How to know?

NC Cobra

Established Member
I am probably being paranoid but I just feel that my 03 is not making the power that it should. How would one tell if the cats were damaged/clogged? Do they need to be removed to know for sure or is there another way?

NC Cobra

Established Member
I looked at the color of my cats this morning before driving to work. They were pretty much an orange/red color when cold. After the drive they had a very deep bluish/purple color, especially around the bottom rear of the cat. Almost exactly the kind of color you see on a motorcycle exhaust header right at the point where the exhaust bolts on to the head. I know the cats are always going to be hot so maybe this heat discoloration is typical. If the cats were damaged would this not show up on an emissions test i.e. the exhaust gases should be way off? I readily admit to not knowing much on this subject so any help/comments are appreciated.

Paranoid in Carolina.

mosconiac

Established Member
I have the same concern about my '03...plugged cats.

So I called SVT to pick their brain...looking for them to agree with my gut feeling really.

I told SVT that my '03 has a rough idle when warm, has a slight "miss" from idle to mid rpms (get swamped in high RPM vibes), "sluggish" acceleration (still very strong mind you) and a occasional skunk smell . When I told the SVT Tech this, he immediately said that I had bad cats and told me to have my dealer replace the system ASAP.

So if you have any of the above problems, call SVT (800-FORD-SVT) to see what they have to say.

Mosconiac

NC Cobra

Established Member
Thanks to Mosconiac. I called SVT - explained the problem. SVT sent me to meet with the service manager at my local dealer. New cats are on order to be installed next week. Total time spent on this problem - 20 minutes, including call to SVT, meeting with service mgr. and ten minute R/T to dealer and back!

New Cats-Free Install-Free Help from the Forum- PRICELESS

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTyballz
look at them while they are cold first. and make a note of it, cuz mine are a reddish color when they are cold.

gary

Mine are also reddish when cold - so what does that mean? Are you having a catalytic meltdown problem?

I do not have any of the other symptoms other than the red, but that could just be normal heating.

NC Cobra

Established Member
Mine were dark blue the way motorcycle headers turn from the heat. SVT and dealer says this is not good. They had just replaced the cats on a F-150 that were the same way. A guy at the jiffy lube pointed it out to the F-150 owner, said they were cooked, dealer agreed. They all get hot, but should not get hot enough to have this extreme amount of discoloration.

I am by far no expert on the subject- just passing along what I was told by SVT and dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread