Ecoboost F150 - what you need to know

02_Lightning

Established Member
F150 Ecoboost - important things to know
I have seen a ton of misinformation and new folks asking about the same ecoboost F150 issues so I figured I would lay it out here. Feel free to add your learnings as well.

I have always had V8 F150s, and after I bought my 13 Shelby, I needed a pickup. I found a 12 FX4 ecoboost for the right price, but I had sworn I would never buy an ecoboost. I drove it and it rode fine, not overly impressed with power, but it worked. I bought it and began my F150 ecoboost saga and research. My truck developed all kinds of engine related problems (nearly killed my family) from the get go, but was actually par for the course according to my research.

1) stutter / shudder - this occurs when you have a quick burst of acceleration and the truck falls flat on its face. This is due to moisture buildup in the CAC. The CAC works too well and produces condensate that gets passed through the spark and blows them out. If you have enough moisture, you can hydrolock the engine. Secondarily to this, you will then eat O2 sensors and cat converters. A Fix to prolong this issue is drilling a weep hole in the CAC. Keep in mind Ford has done many TSBs for this with no fix that works. This issue is still happening - even on new trucks. Weep hole is best defense.

2) spark plugs - this engine eats plugs. Plan on changing every 15k miles. Use motorcraft sp534 gapped at .028

3) if you ever do ANYTHING with your battery, swing in to the dealer and have them reset your Battery Monitor System. It is free, and save you frustration. This is a system that is on there for gas mpg, and needs to be running properly.

4) timing chain rattle on cold start - this is a stretched chain and also relates to cam phaser issues.

5) since this is a direct injection engine, it gets fuel in the oil. With that, you will need to change oil every 3k miles - no more.

6) carbon build up on valves - no safe way to get rid of. No aftermarket cleaner as it will cook the turbos.

7) fuel injectors - wise to run Chevron w/ Techron every 2k miles. It keeps these finiky injectors clean and lubed.

8) gas mileage - this will drop when issues arise, so watch it. Factory dash gas mileage works perfectly compared to hand calcs IF you follow the instructions. To work, you must reset the meter at each Fill up. Also, best mpg realized by getting the truck up to the desired speed as quick as you can and then set cruise control. You should see no less than 18mpg doing this.

After understanding and working through all of the above, I sold the truck after just 6 months. This was absurd as I never have had to work on any vehicle like this... Just to get it to go down the road safely. So, I am back in a V8 truck with no worries.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you had repeated issues with the shudder/misfire thats why you were eating plugs. My plugs were fine at over 40k miles until I had the misfire issue (first time ever) and it just has a hint of a misfire at idle that 99% of people probably wouldnt notice.

i change my oil @ 5k miles, no bovious signs of fuel dilution (appearance or smell).

i wouldnt let them put the latest fix on mine (a plastic sticker basically that blocks up part of the intercooler). I just dont stay on cruise control for hours at a time, some light throttle now and then will push whatever small amount of condensation is in there through without causing any stumbling.

I will say the carbon buildup on the valves is somewhat of a concern but well see how it goes.

02_Lightning

Established Member
In case you have doubts about the moisture issue in the CAC of the ecoboost F150, here is proof of how much condensate it builds. This is a huge problem for Ford. image.jpeg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
^^^ how many miles/what kind of time period is that over?

Ive also read about lots of fluid accumulating in the intercoolers of other vehicles, like the diesels but the air outlet is much higher up and basically that stuff cant get blown out. Techs claiming they pour out quarts of water/oil but due to the design it doesnt cause a problem.

im not saying its not an issue...just clarifying some of what Ive read

02_Lightning

Established Member
^^^ how many miles/what kind of time period is that over?

Ive also read about lots of fluid accumulating in the intercoolers of other vehicles, like the diesels but the air outlet is much higher up and basically that stuff cant get blown out. Techs claiming they pour out quarts of water/oil but due to the design it doesnt cause a problem.

im not saying its not an issue...just clarifying some of what Ive read

6 months / 6k miles

Breitling

Established Member
Thanks for posting your experience with the 3.5 eco. It's about time for a new truck for me and I've been looking at the new F-150s, but this EcoBoost engine has me somewhat concerned.

I need to do more research, but again, thanks for posting.

Maustang

Established Member
Subing for the LOL's

I'm at 56,000 miles on mine and all I have done was change the sparkplugs once and the oil every 5,000 miles.
Truck runs great with no issues and averages 17mpg city driving.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Subing for the LOL's

I'm at 56,000 miles on mine and all I have done was change the sparkplugs once and the oil every 5,000 miles.
Truck runs great with no issues and averages 17mpg city driving.

same here. this thread scared me into changing my plugs at 53,000 and they all looked fine.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Someone has no clue what they are talking about. Plenty of Ecoboost trucks over 100k with ZERO issues that were described above.

I am assuming OP is a V8 bandwagoneer due to his disdain from the original test drive. Why buy the truck if you felt the power was "I drove it and it rode fine, not overly impressed with power, but it worked."

OP, maybe you picked a lemon or a friday, last shift built truck. The fact is that the 3.5L has been an amazing engine for the F150 and flat out works. Plenty of other people with high mileage F150 EB trucks with absolutely no problems doing the RECOMMENDED maintenance intervals from the Ford manual. Have others had problems? Sure, every high volume truck does. Dodge has QA/QC issues. So does Chevy. Both have large V8's that have "proven" themselves over time. You had problems with yours but the guide above is nowhere close to being 100% factual.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is this the 2nd or 3rd thread OP has started on the same issue? Only to be debunked.

Oh well.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
He's not totally wrong on the issues. I changed my plugs at 36k and the factory ones were toast. I gapped to .030-.035 and never had anymore problems.. I would advise getting an aftermarket downpipe with cats, you'll gain a good bit of midrange and won't have a cat failure.. It is also a good idea to get a UPR catch can.. My older 2011 has around 90k on it now..

Zemedici

Established Member
He's not totally wrong on the issues. I changed my plugs at 36k and the factory ones were toast. I gapped to .030-.035 and never had anymore problems.. I would advise getting an aftermarket downpipe with cats, you'll gain a good bit of midrange and won't have a cat failure.. It is also a good idea to get a UPR catch can.. My older 2011 has around 90k on it now..

Are you ****ing kidding me.

You're gonna remove the factory cat, and then say a benefit is you won't have factory cat failure?

Gonna brag the truck has free air conditioning, by rolling down the window? LOLOLOLOL

This thread is hilarious

Droppintwins

Established Member
First off I would like to say I love my 2011 FX4 Ecoboost screw. That being said it has had its fair share of issues.

Issues:

I am on my 3rd engine at 58k miles. First engine burned a piston. The second broke a rod and made a quick access hole in the side of the block. The truck was tuned and I did have fresh plugs in the truck with the proper gap. I was also always very careful to put the proper octane fuel in the truck for the corresponding tune. I have no idea why it has ate 2 engines but frankly it scared me enough to never tune this truck again. Maybe the next truck I will but this one is staying stock until the day it is traded in.

Next issue: Electric Vac pump went out around 30k. Was about $400 to replace myself.

Front brakes were junk at 53k. No big deal here.

Front driveshaft broke a grease boot and sprayed grease everywhere under the truck.

Driver side turbo was leaking coolant. Ford fixed this and has not been an issue since.

120v power plug broke. Ford fixed this as well

As far as I know I have had more issues that anyone else I have seen on any forum. Not sure if I will go to an ecoboost gen 2 or a supercharged 5.0 for my next truck!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
whyd you have to pay for the vac pump, out of warranty on time?

so far Ive been through a set of plugs, just had the slip bump taken care of (new grease on driveshaft splines and new boot, under warranty). I havent checked the brakes personally since the dealers been doing the work but 52k miles and they havent said anything about them yet.

Maustang

Established Member
Someone has no clue what they are talking about. Plenty of Ecoboost trucks over 100k with ZERO issues that were described above.

I am assuming OP is a V8 bandwagoneer due to his disdain from the original test drive. Why buy the truck if you felt the power was "I drove it and it rode fine, not overly impressed with power, but it worked."

OP, maybe you picked a lemon or a friday, last shift built truck. The fact is that the 3.5L has been an amazing engine for the F150 and flat out works. Plenty of other people with high mileage F150 EB trucks with absolutely no problems doing the RECOMMENDED maintenance intervals from the Ford manual. Have others had problems? Sure, every high volume truck does. Dodge has QA/QC issues. So does Chevy. Both have large V8's that have "proven" themselves over time. You had problems with yours but the guide above is nowhere close to being 100% factual.

Plenty have not made it 100k miles without issues.

Spend enough time in here and you will see
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31-f150-ecoboost-problems

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
Are you ****ing kidding me.

You're gonna remove the factory cat, and then say a benefit is you won't have factory cat failure?

Gonna brag the truck has free air conditioning, by rolling down the window? LOLOLOLOL

This thread is hilarious

If you drive too aggressively you'll eat up the cats.. It may only be a 2011-2012 issue, but I do service work for Ford and a few service writers said this.. So keep the sarcasm to yourself

Droppintwins

Established Member
whyd you have to pay for the vac pump, out of warranty on time?

so far Ive been through a set of plugs, just had the slip bump taken care of (new grease on driveshaft splines and new boot, under warranty). I havent checked the brakes personally since the dealers been doing the work but 52k miles and they havent said anything about them yet.

Exactly right. Was just over the 3 year on time. Sucked!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
A good prevention measure for the CAC fluid issue it to occasionally run the truck hard.

If you drive too aggressively you'll eat up the cats.. It may only be a 2011-2012 issue, but I do service work for Ford and a few service writers said this.. So keep the sarcasm to yourself

I wouldn't worry about cat issues. They are covered under the emissions warranty which far outlasts the standard warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread