Emissions testing question

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
How long does it take after you clear the trouble codes from the computer before the system is ready to test? I have a check engine light and my car is due for emissions and I know you cant just clear the code and just test it cause it will fail. So is a certain amount of milage or time or does anyone know? thanks for your input.

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
^^^ damn thats quite a procedure^^^ Im pretty sure my tune is not the issue, I have a minor exhaust leak and the code that keeps popping up says something like "left bank lean condition"

Blueline

Established Member
You may have an o2 sensor that went bad. I didnt mean your tune was bad. What I meant with the tune was that I had to re install my stock tune to pass emissions. My performance tune had everything turned off, so it read "not ready" or "unsupported." That obviously will not pass emissions. So I had to either have everything turned on in my tune, or download the stock tune. When I decided to download the stock tune, obviously my computer had to "relearn" everything and "ready" all of the parameters. FOr me it took 20 miles of driving to inspection station from my house to have everything ready. If you have a check engine light on, you have to fix the reason its on and then have your computer start over. Hope this helps

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
You may have an o2 sensor that went bad. I didnt mean your tune was bad. What I meant with the tune was that I had to re install my stock tune to pass emissions. My performance tune had everything turned off, so it read "not ready" or "unsupported." That obviously will not pass emissions. So I had to either have everything turned on in my tune, or download the stock tune. When I decided to download the stock tune, obviously my computer had to "relearn" everything and "ready" all of the parameters. FOr me it took 20 miles of driving to inspection station from my house to have everything ready. If you have a check engine light on, you have to fix the reason its on and then have your computer start over. Hope this helps

I have the SCT 4bank chip in my car. I took it to inspection with it installed. Everything came up "unsupported" like you said. I just acted dumb. He then told me the car was chipped and would never fail inspection. I was like oh....thanks.

Here in Vegas they just plug into the OBDII port and read the computer. He never popped the hood. My EGR is removed and etc.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
In MO. if the check light is on. your out'a luck, they won't even bother pluging into the OBDII port; it's hit the road jack and don't come back till.....
My car comes-up "unsupported" too, but thanks to the politicians in MO. if you drive your car/truck less than 6,000 miles a year you don't have to be emission tested.
Sorry I can't help..........G/L

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
Yeah in Washington. If the CEL light is on its an automatic fail as well. I just know that you can't test the car immediately after the codes are cleared the car will not pass. It takes a certain distance or amount of time.

Users who are viewing this thread