Fluid Leaking (Transmission??)

D's_SVeeTy

Established Member
Hey folks

I have a 2004 focus svt, it is leaking fluid from somewhere I am not sure where it is coming from. the fluid is color less and has very little odor if any. I have checked the coolant (thinking it may have been mostly water)levels seemed to be ok. Is there a reservoir to check transmission fluid levels.

If it is transmission fluid what are the dangers of running it without fluid or without enough??

Thanks all

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
If its on the very bottom leading edge of what would be the "bell housing" near the bolts that hold the tranny to the engine block-
Then you may have the typical thermostat housing leak.
Mine was this way, I thought it was a possible tranny leak but I wedged a rag between the upper tranny "bell housing" and lower/bottom section of the thermostat housing. It ended up being "moist"..... so at least mine was the thermostat housing.
See if this helps....
If not throw the SVTF on ramps, use either engine degreaser or Simple Green and wire-brush/steel wool, clean the suspect area up, and drive around for a week. Throw it back up on ramps & inspect....

Last edited:

D's_SVeeTy

Established Member
ok where is the thermostat located, and where does the fluid in it feed from so i can check it and keep an eye on it.

Thanks alot

Users who are viewing this thread