front air splitter comes off at speed

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Was on a lonely stretch of road and decided to open it up just a little, think I got it up to 120mph and than i heard this clunking sound.

I initiallly thought it was the road since I was a on bridge but once off I realized it was something else.

Pulled off and saw my front splitter had disconnected from the front bumper only being held on to by the rear bolts under the car.

I nursed it home and took it off and now the car is at the dealership I work at trying to figure out why it came off.

This is the fastest I have had it up to and Ford Racing confirmed it shouldnt have come off ... at any speed.

My biggest concern was there any bumper damage where the it connects too and will it happen again.

Will keep everyone posted

oldbmwfan

Established Member
Lots of threads about people's splitters not being properly attached by the dealerships who install them, leaving a small gap between bumper and splitter where clips are not fully seated. Typically these shoddy installs seem to leave out hardware as well. Do you have any pics of the front end from down low prior to the incident? Could likely spot if there was an installation issue from that.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
wish i had taken a picture when i pulled over but didnt.

Dealership thinks someone tried to steal it because there are some bolts missing ..... heck you cant even get a screw driver underneath the bumper unless u jack the car up

don

Johnjan

I installed my splitter, and it was a challenge getting all of the fasteners to line up and be secure. Espesh with the Ford installation instructions being all but illegible. I would bet the it was not installed properly to begin with.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
wish i had taken a picture when i pulled over but didnt.

Dealership thinks someone tried to steal it because there are some bolts missing ..... heck you cant even get a screw driver underneath the bumper unless u jack the car up

don

Welcome to not having the dealership SVT program.

The splitter is shipped off the car and installed at the dealer upon delivery during PDI. A lot of dealerships have inexperienced kids (and adults) doing PDI and they just skip installing the bolts because it's a PITA. An SVT dealership was required to have a senior-master tech do PDI so things like you experienced don't happen.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Welcome to not having the dealership SVT program.

Raj...Jamal...are you listening?

OP, the dealer that installed your splitter installed it incorrectly. As mentioned, this phenomenon is a growing problem. Whoever did the actual install didn't use all of the fasteners that are supplied with the splitter. Mine was "installed" the same way. Nobody tried to steal it and you are right that you couldn't unless you got the car up in the air. I'm 100% sure that upon close inspection you'll see that some of the fasteners were never installed as the threads that cut into the front bumper cover won't be there and you'll see the areas will be untouched.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Exactly why I only let certain techs touch the specialty vehicles at my store.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Our dealership filed a claim and I will expect a ok as called to replace it.
I too dont buy the claim that someone tried to steal it .... next to impossible.
We had a season tech do this .... but did he look at the manual or video .... I would guess not.
Will keep everyone updated

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Laziness is the only answer. It's not like someone looks at it and thinks the bolts were just some spare parts Ford throws in for the Hell of it.

Zemedici

Established Member
You don't have the car wash kid doing PDI?

My old dealership, only the shop foreman did PDIs on SVT and special ordered vehicles.

Other than that, the trim tech did them, and he's been working on Fords over 40 years. No car wash kids at that dealership either...

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
based on the way the dealer stated the claim to ford it was denied. Now I am waiting to see what happens next. I believe they will replace it for me. I sent them the instruction video on the install.
As I may have eluded to part of the problem being so delicate is I work here too

don

barstowpo

Established Member
My local dealer put mine on wrong and when I took it back in for repair, they didn't want to look at the video either. they sent the car to a local body shop and the body shop viewed the video and installed the splitter correctly. The 350 sitting on the showroom floor at the dealer has the splitter installed incorrectly as well. You'd think they would learn.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
My dealership has agreed to get me a new splitter and offered me the choice of having it installed by our tech who is good or by me.

The store feels the splitter was installed correctly because of impact of the bolt to the mated surface ..... there were marks left

Also, according to our service manager there were no left over bolts ... all were used .... hmmm

I brought up the instruction video and they arent sure if the tech watched it but the splitter and hardware comes with instructions so I assume this would be just as good

Im probably going to intall it myself this time to be sure

I dont think they will replace the splitter a second time so I need to get this right when the new splitter is installed

don

barstowpo

Established Member
I have had my car with the correctly installed splitter up to 130+ multiple times with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread