Home heat in winter

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Navien FTW! Awesome units! We sell and install them in Florida for are customers a lot. By far the best water heater in my opinion. And if natural gas is not available look at propane too. Propane prices vary by location (I'm a propane retailer).

We just became a dealer!:beer::beer::beer:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I keep my thermostat at 58 downstairs.. This house is so well insulated that my heating bill has never been more than $40 in the middle of a Montana winter.. Also, all the bedrooms are upstairs, so even though it's 58 at the thermostat, it's usually 68 upstairs with a damn window open.

You said it's an old colonial home... they weren't built with energy efficiency in mind..

Don't worry about the damn boiler and worry more about keeping that heat inside the house

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I bought 250 gallons last week and it was $3.36

pretty sure no natural gas here.....but I'll check....thats why I was asking about the Pellet stoves....guess no one runs them.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I keep my thermostat at 58 downstairs.. This house is so well insulated that my heating bill has never been more than $40 in the middle of a Montana winter.. Also, all the bedrooms are upstairs, so even though it's 58 at the thermostat, it's usually 68 upstairs with a damn window open.

You said it's an old colonial home... they weren't built with energy efficiency in mind..

Don't worry about the damn boiler and worry more about keeping that heat inside the house

did I say old? hmm...it was built in 2001...2x6 construction..

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Off-topic, where you been with the 8-second TVS car? Haven't read an update in forever?

haha....ya been in the dark...didnt touch the car much from May 5 to September. Fought some electrical issue, cracked the C4 case, and now no matter what I do all it does it wheelie....lol....did run a new best a couple weeks ago though of 8.95 @ 152 but wasnt worth posting / changing things for .02 and 1mph......it has an 8.8x in it

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Wheelie bar time
My buddy has a pellet stove and he swears by it.
To much manual labor for my ass

ff500

Established Member
We had a viessman boiler when we were in Dedham, 5 zones with radiant floor heat, still paid close to $500 a month for gas during the cold months in New England.
Down here in Va the utilities aren't that bad during the winter months. If you have Nstar/National Grid they may offer incentives to convert from oil to gas.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I'm in the market for a new heating system and am leaning towards oil, which I already have. I'm looking at the new style furnace that pulls air from outside instead of sucking in my heated air from inside the house. These are supposed to be very effficient but they are much more money then the "regular" style oil burners.

I would like to know why some think gas is less likelty to kill you then an oil set up....why???

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
We have 2 units, the basement and main floor are propane and our upstairs unit is electric only. Our electric bill averages in the 150-175 range throughout the year and we pay about 65 per month on propane. We keep a positive balance on the propane because its a 500 gallon tank and its expensive to pay per fill up. Our house is only 2 years old and with the finished basement its just over 4000 sq. ft.

OP, how old is your house? Have you swapped out your windows and doors with newer ones? There are companies that will come out and test the efficiency of your home. You will amazed on how much air escapes and that can really drive up your heating bills. My buddies house was built in the 90s and he swapped out his windows 2 years ago and his power bill dropped quite a bit.

Adamn

Established Member
My understanding is that fuel oil is one of the most expensive ways to heat your home. I know a few people who use pellet stoves along with the main heating unit and they work good for your main living area but not ideal for whole home heating.
You said u have baseboard heat so I assume u have a boiler which would make it pretty pricey to convert your house to forced air instead of radiant heat but if u plan on living there for a long time it would pay for itself to do so if u r paying $3.36 a gal when propane is $1 less a gallon. You can also get a gas range with propane too which in my opinion is much better than electric.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Lol @ winter wtf is that

J/k I know coldness sucks

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
We have 2 units, the basement and main floor are propane and our upstairs unit is electric only. Our electric bill averages in the 150-175 range throughout the year and we pay about 65 per month on propane. We keep a positive balance on the propane because its a 500 gallon tank and its expensive to pay per fill up. Our house is only 2 years old and with the finished basement its just over 4000 sq. ft.

OP, how old is your house? Have you swapped out your windows and doors with newer ones? There are companies that will come out and test the efficiency of your home. You will amazed on how much air escapes and that can really drive up your heating bills. My buddies house was built in the 90s and he swapped out his windows 2 years ago and his power bill dropped quite a bit.

built in 2001. I did have one company come a few weeks ago but it was more electrical based. Installed low wattage bulbs, gave me a rebate to buy a new fridge etc.

My basement is also finished which makes the house 2800sq ft but last winter I left the main door open, which leads to the boiler, and the boiler heat kept the basement at 55 all winter. Was empty so we didnt go down there much, just to check for any problems. But this xmas it will probably get a TV and whatnot so I expect to be down there more.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
My understanding is that fuel oil is one of the most expensive ways to heat your home. I know a few people who use pellet stoves along with the main heating unit and they work good for your main living area but not ideal for whole home heating.
You said u have baseboard heat so I assume u have a boiler which would make it pretty pricey to convert your house to forced air instead of radiant heat but if u plan on living there for a long time it would pay for itself to do so if u r paying $3.36 a gal when propane is $1 less a gallon. You can also get a gas range with propane too which in my opinion is much better than electric.

I have been told this also. My first floor is very open and where most of our time is spent and where the heat is on the most.

IMG_7036.jpg

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I have a 2500 sqft cape. Oil heat with baseboards, and the boiler is used for hot water as well. I use about 900 gallons a year. I have natural gas available on my street, but my boiler is pretty new and a good unit. Converting to natural gas will cost quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread